Emiliano Martínez

hippo

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Why will clubs want to buy him all of a sudden after a WC? Surely they will have monitored him in the PL for us over the last 2-3 seasons and would make a decision based on that.

Because, historically, players have been bought off the back of a good international tournament, rightly or wrongly.  Plus, doing well in the world cup shows potential suitors that he can handle the pressure of the bigger stage. I'm still not convinced he goes anywhere though, unless we get a really stupid offer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

How do you know this? He's never had his loyalty tested.

I don't, its my perception, subsequently, my opinion.

equally, how do you know, he hasn't had his loyalty tested?🤨

If we had to go by what we know, the site would be less populated.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I wonder if there are wider ramifications should Argentina win on Sunday.

Internally it would surely be a source of huge inspiration for both the experienced pro’s and the youth coming through to see a World Cup winners’ medal in the dressing room. Externally it could be even bigger, if Emi can show the world that you can play for Aston Villa and still win the biggest prize on the planet that could be a big help in us attracting good quality going forward.

Agreed with every word of this and and was hovering over the like button until I came to the final two words. I often wonder why the very clear and definite 'in future' / 'in the future' was seen as so hopelessly ambiguous that it needed an upgrade...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

Because, historically, players have been bought off the back of a good international tournament, rightly or wrongly.

Isn't that normally more obscure players that not a lot is known about that that happens with though. But fair point regarding the high pressure situations.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't, its my perception, subsequently, my opinion.

equally, how do you know, he hasn't had his loyalty tested?🤨

If we had to go by what we know, the site would be less populated.

I like Emi, but he seems to like the limelight to me. He may say Villa is a big club and all this, but I reckon if any CL club showed serious interest, he'd be wanting to go.

Just now, Tom13 said:

Isn't that normally more obscure players that not a lot is known about that that happens with though. But fair point regarding the high pressure situations.

It's normally the more obscure and unknown players being bought by clubs like ourselves.  But if an already good player who plays for Aston Villa becomes a star in the world cup then you might potentially have your Bayerns and Barcas sniffing around afterwards. For me it's about levels. But we shall see. It'll be interesting to see if there's a clamour for him.

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

I like Emi, but he seems to like the limelight to me. He may say Villa is a big club and all this, but I reckon if any CL club showed serious interest, he'd be wanting to go.

Same scenario that you questioned me.....

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

It's normally the more obscure and unknown players being bought by clubs like ourselves.  But if an already good player who plays for Aston Villa becomes a star in the world cup then you might potentially have your Bayerns and Barcas sniffing around afterwards. For me it's about levels. But we shall see. It'll be interesting to see if there's a clamour for him.

I think there will be a clamour for him.....but it depends on if the club or player, want to go.

My impression is, That Emi is settled and just as importantly his family is settled.....However, Money always talks, so as you say, we will have to see.

I also think, his uncertainty during his time at Arsenal, will weigh heavily, in his thinking.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Spurs utd being two on top my head maybe even chelsea as mendys finished there and kepa is kepa

Utd - Ten Hag loves De Gea so it’s if De Gea wants to stay and they are discussing a contract extension then they are ok.  They are keen on Diogo Costa if he does go.

Spurs - hard to see that happening even with an aging Lloris and then the uncertainty around Conte’s long term future and Levy unlikely to spend a fee that high for Emi.

Chelsea - who’s knows with Boehly, he’s a wild card!  I’m not sure I agree with your view on Mendy and Kepa, that club changes their mind regularly whose in favour and whose not.

i’d be worried if the likes of Liverpool, City or one of the European giants were sniffing around but the won’t be so I’m calm on the situation at the moment.  I don’t see really who’ll be knocking on our door to pay a big fee.

Edited by nick76

8 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

No, you said he is loyal, not you think he might be.

yeah, in my opinion.

what do you want me to write?......"I think he might be Loyal"

Is this a wind up?

I am not a fan ITK....or with a fast track to all information that emanates from BMH

So if I say something, its safe to assume its just my opinion....maybe its the way, I express my opinion, with conviction....but thats all it is....maybe you interpret that as gospel.

I know, No more than the average layman about Aston Villa.....its all opinions.

If its a fact, I will say so....but so many comments are not.

Edited by TRO
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Utd - Ten Hag loves De Gea so it’s if De Gea wants to stay and they are discussing a contract extension then they are ok.  They are keen on Diogo Costa if he does go.

Spurs - hard to see that happening even with an aging Lloris and then the uncertainty around Conte’s long term future and Levy unlikely to spend a fee that high for Emi.

Chelsea - who’s knows with Boehly, he’s a wild card!  I’m not sure I agree with your view on Mendy and Kepa, that club changes their mind regularly whose in favour and whose not.

i’d be worried if the likes of Liverpool, City or one of the European giants were sniffing around but the won’t be so I’m calm on the situation at the moment.  I don’t see really who’ll be knocking on our door to pay a big fee.

There are only about 10 clubs that could afford him and can't see us selling unless Emi asks to leave.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Agreed the three mentioned are unlikely but wierder things have happened! But yeah if was city then i would be concerned. Dnt think newcastle need a keeper either thankfully

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I wonder if there are wider ramifications should Argentina win on Sunday.

Internally it would surely be a source of huge inspiration for both the experienced pro’s and the youth coming through to see a World Cup winners’ medal in the dressing room. Externally it could be even bigger, if Emi can show the world that you can play for Aston Villa and still win the biggest prize on the planet that could be a big help in us attracting good quality going forward.

Or Brighton.

7 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

His profile is huge at the moment, just having him around may be seen as a pull to potential signings in a similar way that having Grealish did.

I was watching the crowd at full time of the semi final, and I think it's the first time I saw people wearing Argie goalkeeper shirts in the crowd, and all had 23 Martinez on the back. He is a national treasure there already for being probably their most important player in the copa America.

If anyone wants him I genuinely think they will have to smash the goalkeeper transfer record due to his contract length and value to us.

But he's going nowhere. He loves it here.

10 hours ago, HAL said:

I see him stopping another season or two and then if we arent around qualification for some kind of european cup he will want to go . And I would not blame him ?

Yeah I think international football success will keep him sweet for another 18 months. He did sign a new deal this time last year which surprised me but clearly we promised him big name signings and (eventually) a big name manager and club has delivered on that so can't see him wanting to move on before all the components have time to develop.

Ultimately he'll want to be tasting minimum of europa at some stage as he played the odd game for Arsenal in that competition so we need to crack on and get in the mix for 6th-7th and then it's easier to keep him happy.

I think that Emi values being loved and being undisputed no 1 above everything. His time at Arsenal will mean he is wary of a big club coming in and his place being under threat. And he is settled. He has spent his whole adult life in the Uk ( apart from loans) . 

His football career has been transformed by Villa. 2.5 years ago he was 2nd or 3rd choice at Arsenal. Now he is 72 hours from possible sainthood.

And we have him under contract for another 5 plus years. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

I think Spurs may go for him to replace Lloris

Look forward to the half eaten sandwich and half a bag of cheese and onion crisps bid from Levy then... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â