Birmingham Life

jackbauer24

3 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Would bet good money that the person who posted that has never spent any time in Birmingham and is basically repeating lazy and outdated stereotypes of the city

People hate birmingham because the internet told them to

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's a growing area though. When i was growing up you went to Stirchley to go bowling and that was it. I think these days it's getting more and more popular.

But I don't spend much time there myself so happy to be corrected

Don't  forget Quasar!

I remember Stirchley in the 90s having a fair few decent small shops (craft and sewing shop e.g.), plus a few decent restaurants - an OK high street. Then that got hollowed out a bit as with most small high streets, but has come back a lot in  the last 8 years, but a very different kind of business. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Would bet good money that the person who posted that has never spent any time in Birmingham and is basically repeating lazy and outdated stereotypes of the city

Me ? I’ve spent quite a bit of time in brum but obviously not from there.  It has got a bad reputation . As for my views I think it’s improved a lot as I stated not long ago on here. 

15 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Me ? I’ve spent quite a bit of time in brum but obviously not from there.  It has got a bad reputation . As for my views I think it’s improved a lot as I stated not long ago on here. 

No sorry mate, meant the Twitter user on the screenshot 

15 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

No sorry mate, meant the Twitter user on the screenshot 

Got ya . I remember brum centre being very outdated . So much better these days loads to do. Still classed as unfashionable compared to say Manchester. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

In the 70's and 80's maybe when The Stirchley Skins were rampant.  But that's a long time ago.  Even before it got trendy it wouldn't have been anywhere near the list of worst Birmingham suburbs.  Was never a great place though and I never saw the transformation that's gone on there happening.  Must be one of the most transformed neighbourhoods int he UK.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Don't  forget Quasar!

I remember Stirchley in the 90s having a fair few decent small shops (craft and sewing shop e.g.), plus a few decent restaurants - an OK high street. Then that got hollowed out a bit as with most small high streets, but has come back a lot in  the last 8 years, but a very different kind of business. 

I'm sorry.  Stirchley died for me the day Anglers Corner closed.

• Like 1

Walked though broad street the other day for the first time in years, have to say it does look good with the tram line going through it.  Actually felt a bit peaceful around there

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Giro said:

Walked though broad street the other day for the first time in years, have to say it does look good with the tram line going through it.  Actually felt a bit peaceful around there

Not at 2Am I assume 🙂

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Not at 2Am I assume 🙂

lol nope 

Hardly any cars down there now which is good. The choice of bars is crap though hence i only really drink up jewellery quarter

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Sutton Royal cinema is pretty smart. Done a great job with the revamp. Screen 1 has a huge screen and massive chunky soft velvet seats.

IMG_20240806_085418_(800_x_1063_pixel).thumb.jpg.e14fb79868e7d2f7bd0802a7faac63ed.jpgIMG_20240806_085359_(800_x_1063_pixel).thumb.jpg.e93c2ee9f6f0920713e4b611ae25618f.jpg

Can't wait to try this.

The previous cinema (Empire) was a **** shit hole. I used to drive all the way to Resorts World to go to the cinema rather than go to Empire

This new one looks very smart. I hope it survives, not an easy business to succeed in

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Got ya . I remember brum centre being very outdated . So much better these days loads to do. Still classed as unfashionable compared to say Manchester. 

Saw a lot of posts on social media by Rangers fans after their friendly with SHA recently saying how impressed they were with the city and that it was nothing at all like their preconceptions/memories of the place 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Not at 2Am I assume 🙂

Last time I walked down Broad Street (not that long ago) during the day, I saw a hen party who were, I assume, just starting their day. On **** Broad Street

I was honestly close to stopping them and giving them a list of places they could go and have a great time rather than Broad Street.

No wonder people think Birmingham is a crap night out when they turn up and go there

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Can't wait to try this.

The previous cinema (Empire) was a **** shit hole. I used to drive all the way to Resorts World to go to the cinema rather than go to Empire

This new one looks very smart. I hope it survives, not an easy business to succeed in

It's nice, definitely. The exterior looks a bit cheap, perhaps they rushed it to get it open or maybe they ran out of funds, but it could still do with a proper clean and the signage above the doors looks a bit naff.

But the insides are very nice.

I feel they could have been braver and completely reshaped the interior downstairs, maybe got rid of screens 2 and 3 and replaced them with a café or something, but perhaps that's being a bit unrealistic of me. In general the interior is unrecognisable from its previous state.

• Like 1

I liked the Empire, I had a soft spot for it. It's the cinema I first went to and the one I'd been to most. I also kinda liked how shit it was, part of the charm.

It'll miss it's car park.

I'm also not likely to get there any time soon :(

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

In the 70's and 80's maybe when The Stirchley Skins were rampant.  But that's a long time ago.  Even before it got trendy it wouldn't have been anywhere near the list of worst Birmingham suburbs.  Was never a great place though and I never saw the transformation that's gone on there happening.  Must be one of the most transformed neighbourhoods int he UK.

I was just on about brum in general . 

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I was just on about brum in general . 

Oh, well that's totally wrong then.

13 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I liked the Empire, I had a soft spot for it. It's the cinema I first went to and the one I'd been to most. I also kinda liked how shit it was, part of the charm.

It'll miss it's car park.

I'm also not likely to get there any time soon :(

I actually only went once, just after I'd moved to Sutton. But it was so crap I never went back :D 

47 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Can't wait to try this.

I suspect that the retirement village that's been built on the old car park out the back has factored in the decision to take it over. Could be a clever way of generating business putting on themed events etc

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â