Birmingham Life

jackbauer24

On 22/07/2024 at 11:17, Walmley_Villa said:

Sutton was buzzing as I grew up, would be there every weekend although it was always rough and we actually went into the City Centre drinking (mate). This is late 80s and 90s.

In recent times car crime is the issue. We were broken into when I was abroad working and they got into the house whilst my wife and youngest were asleep. Fortunately our house alarm went off and they legged it. Where I am in Lichfield currently there has been one burglary in 10 years.   

I’ve heard several people say Sutton was rough to drink around 

47 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ve heard several people say Sutton was rough to drink around 

Attracts/attracted people from Erdington/Kingstanding

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

They should be glad of our money and glowing personalities.

Diversity is our strength. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 20/07/2024 at 18:17, Rustibrooks said:

Cheers lads, me and the missus has checked those areas and they are really nice. We are paying nearly 2k a month for a smallish 2 bed 2 bathroom apartment, it’s not even that great of an area. For the same price as the areas you guys have mentioned we’d get either the same for a lot cheaper or an extra bedroom with a garden. We’ll arrange a few viewings for this weekend but thanks for then insights guys! Really appreciate it 😎

You've had plenty of advice already but my 2 cents.

Sutton is fantastic. I've lived in both Sutton and Solihull (and Birmingham itself) and I'd choose Sutton over Solihull every day of the week.
It's not ALL amazing, there's some bad areas. Generally the further north you go the nicer, imo. 

Four Oaks and Little Aston are your really nice areas of Sutton, house prices are insane. You'll need a million plus for a decent house.
BUT... rental prices aren't TOO bad.
I lived in a large 2 bedroom 2 bathroom flat in Four Oaks for 6 years (that's where Tony Daley was my neighbour) and we paid £900 a month at first, which eventually rose to just under £1000 a month eventually. I think it went back on the market at £1100 a month when we moved out but not 100% on that.
It's not cheap but it's not terrible either, and it's cheap as chips compared to your London prices :D

5 minute walk from the park, 10 minute walk into the centre of sutton, beautiful houses on the road, absolutely loved it there. But like I said you'd need a million to buy a decent place there.

Mere Green is nice too, as is the area around Moor Hall and out towards Canwell

Further south areas like Walmley and Wylde Green are still nice but you'd probably need to do your research as it's not all great

If you're looking to buy then those kind of areas are far more affordable, or alternatively we bought in Streetly which is still part of Sutton but it's the west side of the park. There are nice parts of it and some not so nice. Generally the further you get towards Great Barr the worse it gets (no offence to anyone from there!)

The other advantage of Sutton is it's full of Villa fans :) 

Away from Sutton, as others have said, Solihull, Bourneville, Harbourne, Moseley, Stirchley (one of the more up and coming areas) etc are all very nice areas.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It’s got a bad reputation nationwide 

Probably because of all the No-Go Zones...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Same as its 🇺🇸 counterpart, though it’s rapidly improving on all fronts 

Same here Birmingham has massively improved as has Manchester . Still some of the most deprived areas in the country though. 

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Still some of the most deprived areas in the country though. 

I’m just glad Dem didn’t post that but I suppose he could have been talking about Sutton

@Marka Ragnos

If you wanted a quick primer on 40 years of Brummie gangs history, this video is a good watch. The writing and delivery isn't the best but it's quite well researched and picks it some of the big moments. 

My dad worked for the council housing department and most of the places mentioned, amongst a number of others, for a long time were 2 man only areas - going to a job on your own wasn't allowed as so many guys got robbed on the job. One of my dad's mates got held up with a sawn off shotgun on a job in the mid 90s.

• Thanks 1

On 01/08/2024 at 12:58, Stevo985 said:

You've had plenty of advice already but my 2 cents.

Sutton is fantastic. I've lived in both Sutton and Solihull (and Birmingham itself) and I'd choose Sutton over Solihull every day of the week.
It's not ALL amazing, there's some bad areas. Generally the further north you go the nicer, imo. 

Four Oaks and Little Aston are your really nice areas of Sutton, house prices are insane. You'll need a million plus for a decent house.
BUT... rental prices aren't TOO bad.
I lived in a large 2 bedroom 2 bathroom flat in Four Oaks for 6 years (that's where Tony Daley was my neighbour) and we paid £900 a month at first, which eventually rose to just under £1000 a month eventually. I think it went back on the market at £1100 a month when we moved out but not 100% on that.
It's not cheap but it's not terrible either, and it's cheap as chips compared to your London prices :D

5 minute walk from the park, 10 minute walk into the centre of sutton, beautiful houses on the road, absolutely loved it there. But like I said you'd need a million to buy a decent place there.

Mere Green is nice too, as is the area around Moor Hall and out towards Canwell

Further south areas like Walmley and Wylde Green are still nice but you'd probably need to do your research as it's not all great

If you're looking to buy then those kind of areas are far more affordable, or alternatively we bought in Streetly which is still part of Sutton but it's the west side of the park. There are nice parts of it and some not so nice. Generally the further you get towards Great Barr the worse it gets (no offence to anyone from there!)

The other advantage of Sutton is it's full of Villa fans :) 

Away from Sutton, as others have said, Solihull, Bourneville, Harbourne, Moseley, Stirchley (one of the more up and coming areas) etc are all very nice areas.

Agree with everything in your post up to the bolded text, I doubt that anyone who has lived in Stirchley would describe it as a 'very nice area' - when I lived there from 2018 - 2021 it was certainly nice during the daytime and at the weekend when people came for the food/pubs, but we had all kinds of madness to deal with beyond that. As one example, the police once tasered someone in my back garden and managed to nearly blow up the house by landing one of the pins in a gas pipe 😀 

• Like 1

On 01/08/2024 at 20:28, Rugeley Villa said:

It’s got a bad reputation nationwide 

Would bet good money that the person who posted that has never spent any time in Birmingham and is basically repeating lazy and outdated stereotypes of the city

• Like 4

4 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Agree with everything in your post up to the bolded text, I doubt that anyone who has lived in Stirchley would describe it as a 'very nice area' - when I lived there from 2018 - 2021 it was certainly nice during the daytime and at the weekend when people came for the food/pubs, but we had all kinds of madness to deal with beyond that. As one example, the police once tasered someone in my back garden and managed to nearly blow up the house by landing one of the pins in a gas pipe 😀 

It's a growing area though. When i was growing up you went to Stirchley to go bowling and that was it. I think these days it's getting more and more popular.

But I don't spend much time there myself so happy to be corrected

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â