Birmingham Life

jackbauer24

47 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Could have gone in a history or politics thread, but felt it made sense here

Whilst based on very true events some of that is nonsensical neoliberal propaganda

I read it before and he’s as good as claiming that the setting up of green belt was one of the tools used to thwart Brum, he neglects to mention that this was done all over the country to preserve green space for the people who lived in the cities and wasn’t Birmingham specific, in fact the first green belt was around London pre-WW2, he doesn’t seem to mention that bit. Can you imagine the uproar if they’d allowed Sutton Park to be turned into an industrial estate?

The aim of that thread is propaganda, nothing more, nothing less.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Whilst based on very true events some of that is nonsensical neoliberal propaganda

I read it before and he’s as good as claiming that the setting up of green belt was one of the tools used to thwart Brum, he neglects to mention that this was done all over the country to preserve green space for the people who lived in the cities and wasn’t Birmingham specific, in fact the first green belt was around London pre-WW2, he doesn’t seem to mention that bit. Can you imagine the uproar if they’d allowed Sutton Park to be turned into an industrial estate?

The aim of that thread is propaganda, nothing more, nothing less.

Agreed I did think that the green belt stuff seemed a bit ludicrous, that didn't really seem to ring true at all.

But a lot of the rest of it has a grounding in fact.

The replies though... Jesus. Almost every one is like, "yeah but the decline wasn't because of misguided planning it was all because of the immigrants".

I get into Brum early in the mornings, sometimes before 7am, and its a rough place then. The other Monday there is some woman fighting the guards at New St because they won't let her through the barrier (she had no ticket from what I could gather), I go outside and i'm harangued by two very aggressive beggars demanding money - l then got called a word removed by one of them. After that there is another homeless individual shouting and screaming obscenities at various women at the metro stop. This is all at about 7am.

Welcome to Birmingham. The social decline in this country is huge. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

Every large city is he same. And yes, there’s a certain political party to blame

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Agreed I did think that the green belt stuff seemed a bit ludicrous, that didn't really seem to ring true at all.

But a lot of the rest of it has a grounding in fact.

The replies though... Jesus. Almost every one is like, "yeah but the decline wasn't because of misguided planning it was all because of the immigrants".

Oh yes the replies are just insane. That’s Twitter for you.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

It's the same everywhere which is why is maddens me when they say political parties are all the same and nothing will change. It never used to be like this. Have they forgotten that? Do people genuinely think this is no different to what it was 20 years ago? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

It's the same everywhere which is why is maddens me when they say political parties are all the same and nothing will change. It never used to be like this. Have they forgotten that? Do people genuinely think this is no different to what it was 20 years ago? 

Yep, Brum is so much worse in that respect than it was even ten years ago. The decline of the last few years is crazy.

It’s a bloody good job HS 2 is still going ahead for Brum, all those London types popping up the line for their meetings rather than expecting the world to travel to them. That should redress the balance.

Lads and ladies, I need some tips (again I know) 

Me and the missus are thinking about leaving London, due to London rent prices. We’ve been browsing Rightmove etc, but do you have any recommendations of decent areas in around Birmingham? I’ve seen a few decent properties/areas around Sutton Coldfield, is the area pretty decent?  Thank you in advance lads

Apologies if this is not the correct thread for this mods.

3 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Me and the missus are thinking about leaving London, due to London rent prices. We’ve been browsing Rightmove etc, but do you have any recommendations of decent areas in around Birmingham? I’ve seen a few decent properties/areas around Sutton Coldfield, is the area pretty decent?  Thank you in advance lads

Sutton is great. Expensive, but if you can afford it it has amazing houses available. The shopping area is a bit of a disaster but it has some very good pubs and lots of restaurants, an original Odeon cinema that is reopening soon as the Royal, it has very quick and easy access to the centre of Brum and I generally really like living here.

It also has the best park in the country (I cannot overstate enough how amazing Sutton Park is - read up on it).

Other areas worth looking at for a slightly more fashionable brummy life would be Moseley, Kings Heath and recently Stirchley, which have a bit more of the cool hipster vibe thing going on 

Then of course you have the surrounding towns like Lichfield and various places to the south of Brum that are all very nice.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rustibrooks said:

Solihull>Sutton. All day, every day*. And it's 15 minutes into Brum on the train. Shopping Centre is miles better. Best Schools. 

Depending on budgets and lifestyle you may also consider Henley in Arden, Knowle or Dorridge. 

* Except for Sutton Park. You don't get herds of wild deer roaming Tudor Grange Park. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

So as others have said. Moseley quite posh and bohemian. Stirchley urban cool lots of bars, coffee shops and breweries with tap houses.  I never saw that coming. 

King's Heath halfway between Stirchley and Moseley geographically and in temprement with the added bonus of The Hare and Hounds. . Harborne quite posh and expensive but not great public transport links (no train or metro). Edgbaston can be posh and expensive but also downright down market depending on where (parts of Moseley are rough as **** too) 

I live in Shirley, part of Solihull. Again some lovely roads, especially closer to Solihull centre but can get a bit ropey in parts on the outskirts. I used to live in Hall Green which used to be as middle class 3 bed semi land as it got but I think it's gone downhill in recent years. 

I don't know too much about living North although I hear Erdington may be going the way of Stirchley so could be a good area to get in. 

So much depends on budget. 

And of course there is absolutely tons of City Centre living going up. You'd get a very nice pad with extensive views in a big tower for much less than you were paying in London I'd imagine. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Solihull>Sutton. All day, every day*. And it's 15 minutes into Brum on the train. Shopping Centre is miles better. Best Schools. 

Depending on budgets and lifestyle you may also consider Henley in Arden, Knowle or Dorridge. 

* Except for Sutton Park. You don't get herds of wild deer roaming Tudor Grange Park. 

4 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Sutton is great. Expensive, but if you can afford it it has amazing houses available. The shopping area is a bit of a disaster but it has some very good pubs and lots of restaurants, an original Odeon cinema that is reopening soon as the Royal, it has very quick and easy access to the centre of Brum and I generally really like living here.

It also has the best park in the country (I cannot overstate enough how amazing Sutton Park is - read up on it).

Other areas worth looking at for a slightly more fashionable brummy life would be Moseley, Kings Heath and recently Stirchley, which have a bit more of the cool hipster vibe thing going on 

Then of course you have the surrounding towns like Lichfield and various places to the south of Brum that are all very nice.

Cheers lads, me and the missus has checked those areas and they are really nice. We are paying nearly 2k a month for a smallish 2 bed 2 bathroom apartment, it’s not even that great of an area. For the same price as the areas you guys have mentioned we’d get either the same for a lot cheaper or an extra bedroom with a garden. We’ll arrange a few viewings for this weekend but thanks for then insights guys! Really appreciate it 😎

53 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Cheers lads, me and the missus has checked those areas and they are really nice. We are paying nearly 2k a month for a smallish 2 bed 2 bathroom apartment, it’s not even that great of an area. For the same price as the areas you guys have mentioned we’d get either the same for a lot cheaper or an extra bedroom with a garden. We’ll arrange a few viewings for this weekend but thanks for then insights guys! Really appreciate it 😎

Just thought. Bournville. It's spectacular, built by Cadburys to be a model village, the houses are stunning. In order to buy there you have to be approved but I didn't realise you can rent there no strings. I expect it's almost impossible to get one. Downside no pubs or alcohol sales in the village, but Stirchley is an easy walk. Plus Bournville railway station is on the cross city line with 5 trains an hour to town (and Villa Park) 

• Thanks 1

On 14/07/2024 at 13:12, Xela said:

I get into Brum early in the mornings, sometimes before 7am, and its a rough place then. The other Monday there is some woman fighting the guards at New St because they won't let her through the barrier (she had no ticket from what I could gather), I go outside and i'm harangued by two very aggressive beggars demanding money - l then got called a word removed by one of them. After that there is another homeless individual shouting and screaming obscenities at various women at the metro stop. This is all at about 7am.

I worked in town for 8 years from 2015 and yeah it's dropped off a cliff. I didn't mind it back then but now I wouldn't want to go anywhere near the place if I can help it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

Just thought. Bournville. It's spectacular, built by Cadburys to be a model village, the houses are stunning. In order to buy there you have to be approved but I didn't realise you can rent there no strings. I expect it's almost impossible to get one. Downside no pubs or alcohol sales in the village, but Stirchley is an easy walk. Plus Bournville railway station is on the cross city line with 5 trains an hour to town (and Villa Park) 

4 trains an hour now, but the new trains are great. Kings Norton is also nice and bits of Northfield. Selly Park has to be one of the best bits, even if it's pretty expensive (the few roads in between the Pershore Rd and he Rea are less so)

City  centre feels it has been cannibalised by the Bull Ring. Best thing about Birmingham is its suburbs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, one_ian_taylor said:

4 trains an hour now, but the new trains are great. Kings Norton is also nice and bits of Northfield. Selly Park has to be one of the best bits, even if it's pretty expensive (the few roads in between the Pershore Rd and he Rea are less so)

City  centre feels it has been cannibalised by the Bull Ring. Best thing about Birmingham is its suburbs.

Sorry, I thought x city line was back to 5 now.  Certainly 6 is the ultimate aim once Midland Rail hub is built and Camp Hill Line runs into Moor Street. That's years away though. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Sorry, I thought x city line was back to 5 now.  Certainly 6 is the ultimate aim once Midland Rail hub is built and Camp Hill Line runs into Moor Street. That's years away though. 

I wish! 6 an hour was great,  would be lovely to have more, though not sure the demand is quite there with the extra space created by the new trains

4x hour now as opposed to 6x, but pretty much all trains are now six coaches now when previously they were a mix of three and six. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â