The AVFC FFP thread

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Juventus are expected to pay around €50million for Luiz and recoup €22m for fellow midfielders Iling-Junior and Barrenechea.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5555912/2024/06/22/juventus-douglas-luiz-iling-junior-barrenechea/

I find a lot of this summer difficult to understand but I can’t believe we would sell one of the best midfielders in the PL with 2yrs left on his contract for £40m.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Aston Villa outsmart and defeat PSR.

Suck our collective claret and blue balls Premier League!

We outsmarted it by selling our best midfielder?

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yes.

Just like the last time we sold out best player for 100 mill.

It is going to allow us to become a much better TEAM overall.

Possibly with midfielders and a unit better than Luiz too. ( Which recently seems difficult to fathom as he's become the best midfielder in the world suddenly )

It's like saying I "outsmarted" my landlord by paying the rent. This will allow me to stay in the flat. 😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This doesn't sit right with me, not going to lie. I hope the owners know what they're doing, and it doesn't blow up in our face with a future points deduction, or transfer ban.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

We outsmarted it by selling our best midfielder?

Because he wanted to leave and we need to work within BS rules. That's football.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

This doesn't sit right with me, not going to lie. I hope the owners know what they're doing, and it doesn't blow up in our face with a future points deduction, or transfer ban.

it isn't complicated, its all straight forward and complies with the rules.

• Like 1

so, if they go through, im assuming the 50m euros (£42m) for Luiz, £9m for Iroegbunam & £19m for Kellyman, totalling £70m, covers any PSR concerns for now?, and anything over the alleged £40-60m gap in PSR, can now go towards improving the squad?

The other alleged deals might be Duran (£30-40m) and Bogarde (4m)?

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yes.

Just like the last time we sold out best player for 100 mill.

It is going to allow us to become a much better TEAM overall.

Possibly with midfielders and a unit better than Luiz too. ( Which recently seems difficult to fathom as he's become the best midfielder in the world suddenly )

Sometimes it works out (Platt in that we rebuilt the team, to an extent Yorke in that we got Merson and Dublin, Barry in that we stayed top 6 the season after and Grealish in that we re-invested well) and sometimes it doesn't (Southgate and Ehiogu in that we slipped in the 00s from where we had been from 96 on, Milner in that we took Stephen Ireland as part of the deal even though he did not want to come and we ended up in major decline from 2010, Delph and Benteke almost certainly guaranteed relegation in 15-15).

There are no guarantees whatsoever when you are selling a key player. As the above examples show it works out sometimes and it goes tits up sometimes. You just have to hope you have squeezed as much as you can out of the buyer and as the Milner deal showed part exchange deals merely add to the risk.

Edited by Captain_Townsend

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

so, if they go through, im assuming the 50m euros (£42m) for Luiz, £9m for Iroegbunam & £19m for Kellyman, totalling £70m, covers any PSR concerns for now?, and anything over the alleged £40-60m gap in PSR, can now go towards improving the squad?

The other alleged deals might be Duran (£30-40m) and Bogarde (4m)?

I said I didn't even think we were in PSR trouble for this season. With the book profits on these sales we would not be anywhere near PSR trouble.

It doesn't however mean we will spend massively as Jack's sale goes off the three year accounts at the end of this month.

There is clearly going to be a lot of trading such as at least one of our left back's being sold and don't forget the large increase in revenue for the 24/25 season.

10 hours ago, Rich192 said:

I don't understand why it doesn't sit right, we're not doing a man city here, we are playing within the rules. 

• Like 3

I think we’d have had our lawyers all over this before we even went down this route. Even if the league go at us I think we’d be ready, especially given the strong words from our owners. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tubby said:

An over-simplified (probably) summary of events. Please correct any instance where I'm (inevitably) wrong:

• Villa PSR position was ~£133m vs. £105m (ref: Swiss Ramble)
  • We therefore had to book a profit of c. £28m from player transactions before 30 June
  • Profit on out-going transactions for PSR is the difference between the sale price and the book value
  • This is negated by amortisation on in-coming transactions
  • Doug: ~£43m sale vs. book value of ~£3m (assumes £15m purchase but doesn't adjust for new contract), less 20% sell-on to Man Citeh for anything above £15m (£5.4m) = £34.6m profit
  • Iroegbunam: £9m sale, almost all of it profit = £9m profit
  • Kellyman: £19m sale, almost all of it profit = £19m profit
  • Total book profit from out-going transactions (so far) = £62.6m
  • Maatsen: £37.5m fee, 1 week of amortisation (assuming he signs this week) at £145k
  • Iling-Jr and Barrenechea: ~£9.5m each, 1 week of amortisation at £37k each
  • Dobbin: assumed £9m fee, 1 week of amortisation at £35k
  • This year's position before June 30th is improved by ~£62.4m profit. Our position vs. PSR would therefore be ~£70m vs. £105m ( ignoring other costs)
  • Annual amortisation of in-coming transactions = ~£13.1m

In short, we might have got by with the sales of Iroegbunam and Kellyman alone, Doug wanted to go (wouldn't re-sign) and we've maximised value.

You are quoting Swiss Ramble, but according to him we are £58m over the limit this season, not £28m. So if you believe his figures, these 3 sales just about cover the gap (+4m).

Â