The AVFC FFP thread

On 20/06/2024 at 14:43, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Agree entirely, I think they see this as a sticking plaster approach until the league inevitably removes or severely loosens the restrictions.

It's what happens when you get "football" people trying to create artificial rules that are designed to protect the interests of the status quo whilst at the same time they are desperately courting new owners to bring in more money to the game.  The trouble is those new owners are getting fed up only being able to target finishing sixth or seventh and are exposing those rules for the sham that they are.  No doubt the "football" people will try to close these loopholes but will almost certainly not have the foresight to assess what the impact might be.  I mean short of banning transfers or introducing "limits" on transfer values what can you do?  And if you do either of those things then the buying power of the Top 6 becomes much less important.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It seems like the moment our proposal on the limitation was rejected we immediately embarked on a process of "f*** you" transfers that skirt the edges of the rules without breaking them.

Which is pretty much exactly what Nas and Heck both said.  "We're disappointed that our proposal was rejected.  But we move to Phase 2." (paraphrased rather than directly quoted)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It seems like the moment our proposal on the limitation was rejected we immediately embarked on a process of "f*** you" transfers that skirt the edges of the rules without breaking them.

It's all chess. Nas picked his words very carefully, gotten legal advice and dangled the threat of it at the League. It's a question of who blinks first. NSWE have the ambition and the money to not back down against these anti-competition rules.

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I also wonder whether we ever actually thought that our proposal wouldn't be rejected.  Maybe this was always the plan?  The rejection of increasing the losses permitted now just makes our case stronger for - "well everyone agreed that spending has to be tied to increasing revenue because that is fair - you now can't knock us for increasing our revenues better than you".

Hope we have really good legal advice on this. Financially I doubt we’re causing ourselves any problems because the whole cash flow situation is an artificial consequence of badly written rules.

But legally it feels like we’re in a grey area. Basically behaving like a cartel to manipulate the market, altho the manipulation isn’t corrupt in the usual sense… don’t really know what to make of it. Think it was forced on us by rules that are riddled with unintended consequences.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

It's all chess. Nas picked his words very carefully, gotten legal advice and dangled the threat of it at the League. It's a question of who blinks first. NSWE have the ambition and the money to not back down against these anti-competition rules.

Yeah I don't think they ever thought the proposal would be accepted.  Phase 2 will expose how ridiculously easy it is for a group of clubs to exploit the PSR rules to spend what they want to anyway and just "hide" losses through artificial revenue gains.  At some point the FA / UEFA will do something that breaks European law and can get shot down in flames by a group of rich and powerful owners who have almost as much financial power as the owners of the "status quo" clubs - but significantly more business and legal acumen.

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

it does seem that way doesnt it.

it does go to show just how borked PSR is, its a joke.

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Hope we have really good legal advice on this. Financially I doubt we’re causing ourselves any problems because the whole cash flow situation is an artificial consequence of badly written rules.

But legally it feels like we’re in a grey area. Basically behaving like a cartel to manipulate the market, altho the manipulation isn’t corrupt in the usual sense… don’t really know what to make of it. Think it was forced on us by rules that are riddled with unintended consequences.

I hope they go with the cartel / market manipulation line - because that will give a very good lawyer a brilliant opening to attack PSR for being exactly that.  In almost any other business these rules would be illegal.  I'd still reckon that a good legal team would be able to prove that the rules break European / international law.  It won't take many owners to start backing Nas before the authorities start to feel really uncomfortable bending to the wishes to the Sly 6. 

Away from all the talk of corruption which we all know exists and the PSR rules which are geared up to keep the “top” clubs at the top we have found a way of operating which is within the rules and actually not that different to how other clubs like Chelsea have operated for years and as much as selling youngsters to meet obligations of made up rules doesn’t sit right with me the idea of a business being limited on how much they can invest to improve said business sits even worse with me. No other industry I can think of has such anti competitive rules, it’s like Sainsbury’s saying to the supermarket rule setters Aldi are building to many stores they need to sell some before they can build more, it would be illegal to have rules like that. 

So what I really want to know is with the dougie deal, Tim for £9 mill, Kellyman for £19 and maybe Duran going to this must solve our PSR issues and some for now and give us massive scope to go big ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

Away from all the talk of corruption which we all know exists and the PSR rules which are geared up to keep the “top” clubs at the top we have found a way of operating which is within the rules and actually not that different to how other clubs like Chelsea have operated for years and as much as selling youngsters to meet obligations of made up rules doesn’t sit right with me the idea of a business being limited on how much they can invest to improve said business sits even worse with me. No other industry I can think of has such anti competitive rules, it’s like Sainsbury’s saying to the supermarket rule setters Aldi are building to many stores they need to sell some before they can build more, it would be illegal to have rules like that. 

So what I really want to know is with the dougie deal, Tim for £9 mill, Kellyman for £19 and maybe Duran going to this must solve our PSR issues and some for now and give us massive scope to go big ?

Yes it solves the issue (now and near future) and will give us a lot of breathing room. I anticipate a big summer.

• Thanks 1

Assuming Doug goes (with two coming in), and the rest of our business that looks certain (Kellyman, Tim, Dobbins, but not Duran) gets finished, where are we with profit/loss this month?

3 minutes ago, Enda said:

Assuming Doug goes (with two coming in), and the rest of our business that looks certain (Kellyman, Tim, Dobbins, but not Duran) gets finished, where are we with profit/loss this month?

Think Swiss Ramble had our gap at about £60m so the Doug deal alone should’ve got us across the line

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Make you think about these other signings, we must be going HUGE in the later part of the window.

Next season we don’t have jacks sale on the accounts 

7 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Next season we don’t have jacks sale on the accounts 

Isn’t that covered by Luiz, Kellyman and Tim sales? And possibly Duran.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Isn’t that covered by Luiz, Kellyman and Tim sales? And possibly Duran.

Of course but people are getting carried away 

1 hour ago, MSvillain said:

Think Swiss Ramble had our gap at about £60m so the Doug deal alone should’ve got us across the line

Think someone said the other day that the Swiss Ramble quotes were a bit wide of the mark. Thought we we more in the £30m range. 

Just now, PeterSw said:

Think someone said the other day that the Swiss Ramble quotes were a bit wide of the mark. Thought we we more in the £30m range. 

Yeah Matt Burton on twitter had it closer to £30m, truth somewhere in between those 2 numbers I imagine 

Â