The AVFC FFP thread

10 hours ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

We should just do a deal with Newcastle… We sell them Luiz for £100m and they sell us Bruno for £100m. Both clubs book the £100m revenue for this financial period and then amortise the buying cost at £20m per annum over a 5 year contract.

Next year do the same in reverse. It’s essentially a season long swap, which would make both clubs FFP bulletproof.

Is there anything stopping us selling an unknown youth player to each other for £60 mil?

4 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Is there anything stopping us selling an unknown youth player to each other for £60 mil?

Juventus got staff suspended and a 15 points deduction(reduced to 10) last season for doing similar

• Like 3

Anyone think we might be more in trouble with PSR/FFP than people think? I don’t mind selling Dougie if we absolutely have to but what if we have to sell more? 

5 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Can’t believe people are genuinely suggesting we try and cheat our way around FFP, and in other threads are calling Man City and Chelsea despicable and unsporting clubs. 

We’re Aston Villa, we’re an historic and respected name. We don’t need to do things that will bring a black mark against our name, like what Barcelona and Juventus did all those years ago. Buying and selling Bruno for Douglas for £100m each. I mean Christ alive. 

Agree with your sentiment, but shouldn’t be a surprise considering how fans of certain other clubs turn a blind eye to their dodgy decisions.

14 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Can’t believe people are genuinely suggesting we try and cheat our way around FFP, and in other threads are calling Man City and Chelsea despicable and unsporting clubs. 

We’re Aston Villa, we’re an historic and respected name. We don’t need to do things that will bring a black mark against our name, like what Barcelona and Juventus did all those years ago. Buying and selling Bruno for Douglas for £100m each. I mean Christ alive. 

Lol, what about selling the stadium to ourselves to avoid breaching ffp? We're no better than Chelsea for that matter.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, grobs said:

Anyone think we might be more in trouble with PSR/FFP than people think? I don’t mind selling Dougie if we absolutely have to but what if we have to sell more? 

I think we are in deep water. I think the plan was to sell JJ for 60 70 million after a good season last year this obviously got scuppered by his injury and put us in a dire situation. we will find out soon enough, but it would be typical. Villa having come as far for this to happen.

3 hours ago, Nicho said:

But you still have to pay the £60m on the accounts eventually through the annual amortisation so those sorts of deals only work as a quick fix but then cause problems later on. A few years ago some of the European clubs were doing dodgy swap deals with squad players to help each other with FFP, but it never caught on because afterwards they realised being stuck with £50m+ players they don’t actually want isn’t such a good idea

8 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Lol, what about selling the stadium to ourselves to avoid breaching ffp? We're no better than Chelsea for that matter.

Yeah, absolutely hate that we did that. I wasn’t on the forum when that happened, but I think it’s also an entirely immoral thing that we did. We should be made to ‘buy back’ the stadium and have the hit on our FFP in my opinion. Despite that being a negative to us. I hate these ‘work arounds’. It’s like billionaires avoiding paying tax through some loophole. Sure, not technically illegal, but it stinks. 

3 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Yeah, absolutely hate that we did that. I wasn’t on the forum when that happened, but I think it’s also an entirely immoral thing that we did. We should be made to ‘buy back’ the stadium and have the hit on our FFP in my opinion. Despite that being a negative to us. I hate these ‘work arounds’. It’s like billionaires avoiding paying tax through some loophole. Sure, not technically illegal, but it stinks. 

It’s not our fault the system is broke and we have to do such things. I hope we do the same again with the training ground and have to sell none of our star assets

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Is it just points deductions or there any other punishments as well 

Let's ask Mancheater City.

Oh, hang on...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mattyvilla said:

Lets face it none of us have an idea how big this is , if its 6 points reduced to 3 on appeal the club may well take that rather than sell any quality

Those 3 points could cost us the title next season, damnit.

4 hours ago, Rich192 said:

Whats immoral about it ? It’s within the rules of the game - it’s an available option to all clubs should they wish to do so. It’s not a work around it was a transfer of an asset at fair market value in our instance. 

I seriously cannot believe you care enough about it that you’d rather we sold a key player or two just so we can buy out ground back from our owners. I hope we sell BMH and anything else we can before selling a player we’d prefer to keep. 

4 hours ago, Rich192 said:

We're Aston Villa, we should go get ourselves an official Japanese tractor diesel engine partner for £10m a year so that we can compete...

My problem with the tongue in cheek suggestions of selling players to each other for £100m, or even more realistically Gallagher for £50m while selling them Duran for £30m, or buying the training ground, or any loophole or back door (KW) or any other "dodgy" was around it to help ourselves, the reality is we're up against teams that have double and triple our revenue, the whole thing is utter **** bollocks, man utd have an official bed and pillow partner FFS 

Football is a joke because of these rules, one way or the other we will be joining in, in many ways with the badge redesign, with the ST prices, with the lower grounds etc we already have 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

We're Aston Villa, we should go get ourselves an official Japanese tractor diesel engine partner for £10m a year so that we can compete... 

This is realistically the only option we can take that doesn't involve selling players.

The simple and obvious way around it is to make more money - 3 options to do that;

1) much bigger/new stadium. No need to discuss that here, but that's not an option by the looks of it

2) sell a player every summer for big money. Will generate income to tide us over for 3 seasons following it, but has obvious drawbacks.

3) get more sponsors. More sponsors = more money, pretty obvious but probably harder than #2

I suspect July 2024 onwards won't see as many negative outlooks as we've got a new kit deal, 2 higher sponsorship deals, as well as the potential of naming rights for corporate areas, club shop etc etc. My completely uneducated assumption is that we might need a sale (Luiz looks like the candidate if he's unwilling to stay) to make the end of this cycle balance but the next one should be ok if we can continue to be successful and trade players smartly. Who leaves when might be very telling as to what the state of play is.

Â