The AVFC FFP / PSR / SCR thread

13 hours ago, Ceemo said:

Just an illustration about where we are in comparison to some other clubs with regards revenue amidst the Champions League ticket prices anger:

Last released full Accounts at the end of 22/23 season from the Swiss Ramble
Manchester City: Total Revenue - £712.8 million
£71.9m (10.1%) from matchday
£299.4m broadcasting
£341.4m commercial
Won the Champions League + Premier League + FA Cup that season.
Manchester United: Total Revenue - £648.4 million
£136.4m (21%) from matchday
£209.1m broadcasting
£302m commercial
Finished 3rd in the Premier League, Won League Cup + Got to Quarter-Finals of Europa League that season.
Liverpool: Total Revenue - £593.8 million
£79.8m (13.4%) from matchday
£241.6m broadcasting
£272.5m commercial
Finished 5th in the Premier League and Got to the Round of 16 in the Champions League that season.
Tottenham: Total Revenue - £549.6 million
£117.6m (21.4%) from matchday
£204.3m broadcasting
£227.8m commercial
Finished 8th in the Premier League and got to the Round of 16 in the Champions League that season.
Chelsea: Total Revenue - £512.5 million + £101 million from sale of property (hotels) (£76.5m) and 'other operating income' ($30.6m)
£76.5m (14.9%) from matchday
£225.9m broadcasting
£210.1m commercial
Finished 12th in the Premier League and got to the Quarter-Finals of the Champions League that season.
Arsenal: Total Revenue - £464.6 million
£102.6m (22%) from matchday
£191.2m broadcasting
£169.3m commercial
£1.5m on player loans
Finished 2nd in the Premier League and Got to Round of 16 in the Europa League that season.
Newcastle United: Total Revenue - £250.3 million
£37.9m (15%) from matchday
£165.5m broadcasting
£46.9m commercial
Finished 4th in the Premier League.
West Ham: Total Revenue - £236.7 million
£41m (17%) from matchday
£147.6m broadcasting
£48.1m commercial
Finished 14th in the Premier League and won the Conference League that season
Villa: Total Revenue - £217.7 million
£18.8m (8.6%) from matchday
£152.6m (70.1%) broadcasting
£40.6m (18.65%) commercial
£5.7m (2.62%) on player loans
Finished 7th in the Premier League.

Thanks for that, When are we likely to see last seasons figures? 

13 hours ago, Ceemo said:

Just an illustration about where we are in comparison to some other clubs with regards revenue amidst the Champions League ticket prices anger:

Last released full Accounts at the end of 22/23 season from the Swiss Ramble
Manchester City: Total Revenue - £712.8 million
£71.9m (10.1%) from matchday
£299.4m broadcasting
£341.4m commercial
Won the Champions League + Premier League + FA Cup that season.
Manchester United: Total Revenue - £648.4 million
£136.4m (21%) from matchday
£209.1m broadcasting
£302m commercial
Finished 3rd in the Premier League, Won League Cup + Got to Quarter-Finals of Europa League that season.
Liverpool: Total Revenue - £593.8 million
£79.8m (13.4%) from matchday
£241.6m broadcasting
£272.5m commercial
Finished 5th in the Premier League and Got to the Round of 16 in the Champions League that season.
Tottenham: Total Revenue - £549.6 million
£117.6m (21.4%) from matchday
£204.3m broadcasting
£227.8m commercial
Finished 8th in the Premier League and got to the Round of 16 in the Champions League that season.
Chelsea: Total Revenue - £512.5 million + £101 million from sale of property (hotels) (£76.5m) and 'other operating income' ($30.6m)
£76.5m (14.9%) from matchday
£225.9m broadcasting
£210.1m commercial
Finished 12th in the Premier League and got to the Quarter-Finals of the Champions League that season.
Arsenal: Total Revenue - £464.6 million
£102.6m (22%) from matchday
£191.2m broadcasting
£169.3m commercial
£1.5m on player loans
Finished 2nd in the Premier League and Got to Round of 16 in the Europa League that season.
Newcastle United: Total Revenue - £250.3 million
£37.9m (15%) from matchday
£165.5m broadcasting
£46.9m commercial
Finished 4th in the Premier League.
West Ham: Total Revenue - £236.7 million
£41m (17%) from matchday
£147.6m broadcasting
£48.1m commercial
Finished 14th in the Premier League and won the Conference League that season
Villa: Total Revenue - £217.7 million
£18.8m (8.6%) from matchday
£152.6m (70.1%) broadcasting
£40.6m (18.65%) commercial
£5.7m (2.62%) on player loans
Finished 7th in the Premier League.

How, in any way shape or form, is it a sport if you limit a teams spending based on their revenue?

Does any other sport forcibly favour the top teams like this? It's a piss take that the SCR rules are coming in to "fix" FFP. The league clubs f@#ked up by approving that. Accepted that they never want to win the league again, but are happy to exist. What a shit sport.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As I mentioned, some of the same people I see outraged at this are also some of the same people who were upset about us not signing more players or selling players and young players. As if they can't see how these things are linked.

For me, you can't be both, you can either accept our limits, understand why they exist, and be pleased. OR you can want the club to be ambitious.

The 13.2 million people have quoted as potential earnings which some are saying is " nothing " could probably have been the difference in signing Geertruida or not as an example.

They are also referencing other clubs like Liverpools prices without acknowledging the small caveat that thos clubs already make double to quadruple plus earnings of what we do in other areas already.

Those are our competitors.

I also assume that small things like the new Bars and lounges will boost these earnings even further for away games and the like.

Yes football is about passion and emotion but not all good business decisions can be made with emotion.

Sometimes you will piss a few people off along the way.

Also, the complete avoidance of the fact that the owners have to greenlight these moves and Heck can't run a dictatorship is bizarre. He's paid to be the blame face 

Emery gets paid to run the first team

Monchi gets paid to run the football operation 

Heck gets paid to run the business. That's why business decisions- which he is all over by the way whenever there is good news to report - the buck stops with him.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We have Monchi for finding talent and the deals, and Emery to more than likely improve them as a player and boost there value.  Churning out, and improving players and selling for good fee's is the way (maybe the only one) to solidify in the top four while working on our revenue.

I dont worry about PSR any more, as our squad value is insane right now. We have:

- Martinez, arguably the worlds best goalkeeper, to sign would be anywhere between 60 - 80 million.

- Watkins. Anywhere between 70 - 100 million.

- Konsa. Anywhere between 50-70 Million.

- The hottest young striker in the world in Duran. Value £60 million (and rising weekly!)

- Tieleman's and Kamara, both free transfers, probably some of the best transfers worldwide over the last decade or so. £40-60 million each?

-Ramsey - £60mill?

- Rogers - £60mill?

- Bailey - 60mill?

-McGinn - 40mill?

I could go on and on. Even the likes of Bogarde who is probably a £20mil player now, or will be if he continues to get starts.

So much squad value, and some insane profits if we did cash in on certain players. What it also means is we can breathe relatively easily each summer for the foreseeable, as we only have to cash in on one of our players to meet FFP and also give us room to spend. We have lots of very expensive and very in demand players, none of which to my knowledge having any worrying contract issues. Its a huge credit to everyone at the club to see the quality of our current squad comparing to just a couple of years ago.

Its also a huge credit to the club that the vultures didn't descend and pick apart our squad like they usually do when an unfancied team have a great season and build a quality squad. Normally United and co would have swept in and gobbled up Watkins, Martinez, and a few others long ago. We can hold onto players now, for what feels like the first time ever in my lifetime!

It's so easy to miss just how strong we are in all area's at the moment. Even how we have navigated PSR stuff feels like it has been quite slick, well managed, and i was in favour of all of our outgoings this summer, including Luiz. Its a huge monumental effort to do what we are doing, and fans need to step up too and support the process however we can. Currently we can do that by stomaching crazy ticket prices right now, in the short term at least, buying merch, and recognising that to get anywhere near the top we need to be maximising every single facet of the club. Ruthlessly. That includes the fan base.

Final point, is that i can see the current headlines around PSR (how it is seemingly encouraging the selling off of youth players, and making clubs raise ticket prices to get around it) leading to some relaxation of the rules by the premier league now they realise it isn't having the desired effect. Hopefully within a season or two we get some changes that mean our owners can pump some more of that sweet sweet billionaire money in to our club.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, carlitobrigante said:

We have Monchi for finding talent and the deals, and Emery to more than likely improve them as a player and boost there value.  Churning out, and improving players and selling for good fee's is the way (maybe the only one) to solidify in the top four while working on our revenue.

I dont worry about PSR any more, as our squad value is insane right now. We have:

- Martinez, arguably the worlds best goalkeeper, to sign would be anywhere between 60 - 80 million.

- Watkins. Anywhere between 70 - 100 million.

- Konsa. Anywhere between 50-70 Million.

- The hottest young striker in the world in Duran. Value £60 million (and rising weekly!)

- Tieleman's and Kamara, both free transfers, probably some of the best transfers worldwide over the last decade or so. £40-60 million each?

-Ramsey - £60mill?

- Rogers - £60mill?

- Bailey - 60mill?

-McGinn - 40mill?

I could go on and on. Even the likes of Bogarde who is probably a £20mil player now, or will be if he continues to get starts.

So much squad value, and some insane profits if we did cash in on certain players. What it also means is we can breathe relatively easily each summer for the foreseeable, as we only have to cash in on one of our players to meet FFP and also give us room to spend. We have lots of very expensive and very in demand players, none of which to my knowledge having any worrying contract issues. Its a huge credit to everyone at the club to see the quality of our current squad comparing to just a couple of years ago.

Its also a huge credit to the club that the vultures didn't descend and pick apart our squad like they usually do when an unfancied team have a great season and build a quality squad. Normally United and co would have swept in and gobbled up Watkins, Martinez, and a few others long ago. We can hold onto players now, for what feels like the first time ever in my lifetime!

It's so easy to miss just how strong we are in all area's at the moment. Even how we have navigated PSR stuff feels like it has been quite slick, well managed, and i was in favour of all of our outgoings this summer, including Luiz. Its a huge monumental effort to do what we are doing, and fans need to step up too and support the process however we can. Currently we can do that by stomaching crazy ticket prices right now, in the short term at least, buying merch, and recognising that to get anywhere near the top we need to be maximising every single facet of the club. Ruthlessly. That includes the fan base.

Final point, is that i can see the current headlines around PSR (how it is seemingly encouraging the selling off of youth players, and making clubs raise ticket prices to get around it) leading to some relaxation of the rules by the premier league now they realise it isn't having the desired effect. Hopefully within a season or two we get some changes that mean our owners can pump some more of that sweet sweet billionaire money in to our club.

I agree with pretty much everything you have said and my take on the ticket price for champions league is I get it’s going to annoy people who have been going to watch Villa for years including myself who first went to Villa park in 1989. However in a world where a Starbucks coffee cost £6.50 and Taylor swift or oasis tickets cost north of £150! Paying £90 for a ticket to our first champions league game in 40 years against a team that have won it numerous times it does seem quiet the rip off to me that it does to others. That’s not to say I love the pricing but I’m accepting of it and its role in improving our PSR situation. 

• Like 2

On 05/09/2024 at 08:20, HeyAnty said:

What was the main reason why we made CL?  It was the 100m for Grealish that one of the best managers in the world was able to use.  

If we want to keep competing over next 3 years, we will have to do it again.  Revenue wont grow enough to matter for another 5 years min.Who is our next 100m sale?  Walkins? Ramsey?

Was it though?

First off, Dean Smith was manager when Grealish was sold. Gerrard came after him, & over a full year after Grealish was sold, Emery was brought in.

Secondly, we wasted at least a quarter of the Grealish money on Ings, long before Emery arrived. He had nothing to do with how the money was utilised.

And there is a pretty strong argument that we wasted at least two thirds of that £100M too, as Buendia hasn't been much better.

Granted, it took the brilliant coaching from Emery for Leon Bailey to get settled a good 18 months after he signed, so Emery takes a lot of credit for that one. 

So Champions League qualification, had very little to do with the Grealish sale. Would another £100M sale help?

Absolutely, but the first one contributed little other than to the bean counters. 

11 minutes ago, Andy_10 said:

Was it though?

First off, Dean Smith was manager when Grealish was sold. Gerrard came after him, & over a full year after Grealish was sold, Emery was brought in.

Secondly, we wasted at least a quarter of the Grealish money on Ings, long before Emery arrived. He had nothing to do with how the money was utilised.

And there is a pretty strong argument that we wasted at least two thirds of that £100M too, as Buendia hasn't been much better.

Granted, it took the brilliant coaching from Emery for Leon Bailey to get settled a good 18 months after he signed, so Emery takes a lot of credit for that one. 

So Champions League qualification, had very little to do with the Grealish sale. Would another £100M sale help?

Absolutely, but the first one contributed little other than to the bean counters. 

I think this is a little simplistic, the 100m sale of Grealish was pure profit that ultimately enabled us to continue buying after that summer, without that sale there is possibly no Pau Torres, Diaby, Rogers, Digne and so on.

Monchi has already alluded to selling one big player to fund a refresh of the squad is part of his recruitment strategy.

Until our off pitch revenues improve hugely, we will need to sell to push on.

• Like 1

Good job that Im not an accountant, lol. 😉

In all seriousness, granted, I accept that it helped the bean counters, but I was more responding to the comments about Emery getting to use the £100M.

But, I see what you are saying. Thats probably not what @HeyAnty meant. So I cede my point. 👍

42 minutes ago, Andy_10 said:

Good job that Im not an accountant, lol. 😉

In all seriousness, granted, I accept that it helped the bean counters, but I was more responding to the comments about Emery getting to use the £100M.

But, I see what you are saying. Thats probably not what @HeyAnty meant. So I cede my point. 👍

Sure im by no means undermining Emery.  He’s the best manager ive saw at Villa in my lifetime.  You can argue he was more important than the 100m sale. Its a coin flip. 

It was what i meant as well that @VillaJay says.  We wouldn’t be half the squad now only for it.  Grealish money dropped off the balance sheet this summer.  What we end up having to do, sell two of our best players.  There will be another big sale coming to push us on.  Be tough to accept if the likes of Ramsey is sold, but it will help in the long term.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â