Matty Cash

paul514

He was OK. The penalty decision given by VAR was as bad as Cash's decision to dive in. He shouldn't have done that with the situation unfolding as it was, but even then VAR shouldn't have given it.

He made some other mistakes and a couple of very good recoveries, although they were only required due to a couple of those mistakes. 

He is the weakest link in what is a very very strong squad that finished in the champions league last season. He's better than a lot of right backs in the league, but I'll be glad when he's replaced as his brain seems to be showing no sign of improving with age.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

The problem with Cash he's the rare outlier to the "eye test" garbage people come out with.

He actually fails the eye test. He looks like he's getting ripped to shreds when he actually isn't

He’s a bit like Mings in this respect. Inelegant style with a lot of last ditch stuff (contrast with Konsa and Pau) so tend to look very, very stupid when they make mistakes. You can still be an elite defender with this approach (eg Puyol or Terry) but think you really have to be on it mentally, which Mings usually is... Cash is more hit and miss.

When he’s on Unai’s side of the pitch he’s always the one receiving a barrage of shouts and tactical instructions from the touchline. It’s like he’s just not as good as the rest of the squad at absorbing all the info from the coaching staff. Think he got dropped by Poland for the same reason.

I still like him and don’t think we should be looking to move him on any time soon, and when he has a good game (which is far more often than people on here credit him with) he can be a real asset. Great physicality and engine, brave, direct. Good character.

But long term he needs competition for that spot and shouldn’t be a nailed on starter.

Edit: also, really unfair the way some have singled him out for criticism over that penalty. Was very unlucky, and would have been overturned by VAR last season.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

Any news on his injury? Or was it just precaution? Would still rather have him for the Arsenal game

Arsenal we could do by playing Carlos. But I’m not sure if his heart is here, that game would need a lot of fight. 

Full backs both sides were “touch tight” and same after subs so think this was a tactic.  

I also think Wet Spam targeted cash, when Summerville came on he went that side also. He did a decent job.

Last point, that gangly idiot Soucek was looking for the penalty too.  All a bit farcical from start to finish 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MrBlack said:

He was OK. The penalty decision given by VAR was as bad as Cash's decision to dive in. He shouldn't have done that with the situation unfolding as it was, but even then VAR shouldn't have given it.

He made some other mistakes and a couple of very good recoveries, although they were only required due to a couple of those mistakes. 

He is the weakest link in what is a very very strong squad that finished in the champions league last season. He's better than a lot of right backs in the league, but I'll be glad when he's replaced as his brain seems to be showing no sign of improving with age.

100% this.

He's not bad at all - but is prone to mistakes, and they often end up being punished. 
I just don't think he is football smart enough to be anything other than a weak link in an Emery team. He's too instinctive.

Said it in May - sell him now as he'll be at his peak value; improve on him, and the team improves. 

WHU penalty was dubious, however some of Cash’s decision making is poor and his challenge on Soucek in the box was extremely clumsy. 
He’s a decent RB but he can still be improved upon. 

Edited by Supervillan78
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HongKongVillan said:

Any news on his injury? Or was it just precaution? Would still rather have him for the Arsenal game

Didn't think he was injured? Just subbed. Hope he's ok!

He played fairly well, better than Digne for example (and definitely better than Ned who was rabbit in headlights).

But IMO it was a silly challenge and I think plenty of refs would give a challenge like that as a pen.

32 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He played fairly well, better than Digne for example (and definitely better than Ned who was rabbit in headlights).

But IMO it was a silly challenge and I think plenty of refs would give a challenge like that as a pen.

He was definitely injured. Went off holding his hammy and Ned only just got his shirt on the second before he came on.

Kudus is a really tough test. Definitely came off second best - but was defending 1 on 1 a lot, and made it tough for him imo.

He was light years ahead of Ned (understandably).

Too rash, a good lad and full of enthusiasm but not good enough for what we have become. Trying too hard for me, all action but this brings out his worst traits.

Penalty was dodgy and the excuse by the VAR clearings in the woods is amongst the most embarrassing I have heard, it sounded like the nonsense you hear from Man Utd supporters who are lifelong fans but never been to a game because it is "too hard to get tickets".

Either way, it happens too often to him.

18 hours ago, Supervillan78 said:

WHU penalty was dubious, however some of Cash’s decision making is poor and his challenge on Soucek in the box was extremely clumsy. 
He’s a decent RB but he can still be improved upon. 

I mean, he made a superb decision and played the ball but the penalty was given for a tangle of legs.  Pretty unlucky, really.

He's not World Class by any means, but he's a great player to have in this squad as a] he's a decent right-back, b] he's versatile and c] he seems to be a good character around the place.

On 18/08/2024 at 20:13, Tomaszk said:

You say it was a silly challenge, but defenders - defend. He got something on the ball from a difficult position. And also what is the point of VAR if they can’t be bothered in these circumstances ?

I wouldn't say being a footballer is 'normal', but pleased he's able to operate at such a high level. 

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â