Jaden Philogene

Kingman

We have to start pulling these players out now, it's silly. Rogers and Jaden both played 90 mins vs Bayern, 50 games for England U21s isn't even going to match that in terms of development and experience.

England U21s play Azerbaijan tomorrow. What is the point of rolling out Rogers in that? He better not play, the lad needs time to rest he's played almost every minute for us.

• Like 2

Have we considered that the players may want to be part of these games?

Don't personally care about our players turning out for England at any level, but it presumably means a lot to them and their families so there's an air of entitlement about calls to pull them out. Really not sure how forbidding our youngsters from playing for their countries at U21 level is gonna make us an attractive proposition for the best young talent either 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Wonder how Jacob Ramsey feels having had his career derailed since he played in a U21 tournament he had no business being at, as he was well beyond the level.

Has it been derailed? He's still young and playing regularly for a top PL team. What if it had happened whilst he was playing as an overage player for us in the Johnstones Paint Trophy or whatever it's called now?

He could've excused himself, but didn't. Presumably he wanted to go there and be a key player representing his country in an international competition (which they ended up winning, incidentally).

Footballers are at risk of getting injured in every game they play. I suspect that Ramsey will go onto have a long career in professional football and will look back proudly one day in playing an important part in helping his country to win a prestigious international competition when it's all said and done

2 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Don't personally care about our players turning out for England at any level, but it presumably means a lot to them and their families so there's an air of entitlement about calls to pull them out. Really not sure how forbidding our youngsters from playing for their countries at U21 level is gonna make us an attractive proposition for the best young talent either 

Decent point.  I was surprised in that Crystal Palace youth academy documentary how many times "you could represent England one day" was said. It's still an important milestone for footballers growing up.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Wonder how Jacob Ramsey feels having had his career derailed since he played in a U21 tournament he had no business being at, as he was well beyond the level.

I absolutely love Jacob Ramsey - rate him higher than most - but I’d still say there were plenty of players in that tournament who most people would say are better than him (including players like Alex Baena who I have been told on here would significantly improve our first team). So not sure ‘beyond the level’ makes sense even if we don’t think players in the first team of a PL side should be playing for the U21s.

4 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Fine when they aren't playing loads, we should permanently withdraw players like Rodgers from the U21's

6 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I absolutely love Jacob Ramsey - rate him higher than most - but I’d still say there were plenty of players in that tournament who most people would say are better than him (including players like Alex Baena who I have been told on here would significantly improve our first team). So not sure ‘beyond the level’ makes sense even if we don’t think players in the first team of a PL side should be playing for the U21s.

He was flying at the end of that season. Absolutely flying.

He showed natural finishing ability beyond anything we've ever seen from players like Rogers or Grealish or Watkins.

For me, he's been out for a whole year. He was playing through a botched surgery, and had to have another serious op on the same injury.

Philogene's a different case tbh. It's very annoying, but him being called up, and playing, for the U21 isn't totally ridiculous.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He showed natural finishing ability beyond anything we've ever seen from players like Rogers or Grealish or Watkins.

For me, he's been out for a whole year. He was playing through a botched surgery, and had to have another serious op on the same injury.

Philogene's a different case tbh. It's very annoying, but him being called up, and playing, for the U21 isn't totally ridiculous.

He played very well against Bayern Munich in the champions league and will probably miss our next champions league game because he played for the U21 and got injured....its totally ridiculous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

He was playing well and I sort of agree that he should have been at the very least in contention for the senior squad that summer but he scored exactly the same goals that season as he had the season before - 6. Eze got 10/11 goals that season in a similar position so was ahead of him, as was Rashford who got 17. Grealish had his best season for City the year they won the CL so he was never being dropped.

Ramsey was unlucky but it was a stacked position. I'd like to know who you thought was coming out the squad to make way for him. And if he wasn't going into the seniors and was eligible for the U21s in a major tournament for them of course they're going to take him. Other players in that squad might have felt they were too good for that level too but still played. It was just bloody unlucky that Ramsey got a serious injury from playing in it.

Agree on Philogene.

14 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Ramsey was unlucky but it was a stacked position. I'd like to know who you thought was coming out the squad to make way for him.

Never mentioned England first team. 

14 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

And if he wasn't going into the seniors and was eligible for the U21s in a major tournament for them of course they're going to take him.

That approach is incorrect. Needs to be rethought.

A first-team top-flight player has no place going and playing development football. They should be resting for competitive matches that matter.

Wouldn't be surprised if youth internationals are a big casualty in football when the player strike murmurs grow louder.

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Never mentioned England first team. 

That approach is incorrect. Needs to be rethought.

A first-team top-flight player has no place going and playing development football. They should be resting for competitive matches that matter.

Wouldn't be surprised if youth internationals are a big casualty in football when the player strike murmurs grow louder.

The rest would have done us and Ramsey good but it’s naive to think they wouldn’t pick the strongest squad available. We could have asked Ramsey not to go if we wanted him to rest, maybe we did and he wanted to go, either way it was probably out of our hands.

So unless the England youth sides stop all major tournaments and just play friendlies (or scrap international youth football altogether) then this will continue to happen I’m afraid.

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

The rest would have done us and Ramsey good but it’s naive to think they wouldn’t pick the strongest squad available. We could have asked Ramsey not to go if we wanted him to rest, maybe we did and he wanted to go, either way it was probably out of our hands.

So unless the England youth sides stop all major tournaments and just play friendlies (or scrap international youth football altogether) then this will continue to happen I’m afraid.

I agree. And it's wrong.

22 minutes ago, GamingDad said:

All international matches should be moved to the summer once the domestic leagues have finished. Have all the qualifiers inbetween the Euros and World Cup years.

So get rid of the only significant period of time off that players get? I'm not sure that would improve things 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â