Jaden Philogene

Kingman

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

I don’t get the great business angle unless we needed to sell for FFP. Surely loaning him out would have been better business  

Timing I suspect.

7 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I don’t get the great business angle unless we needed to sell for FFP. Surely loaning him out would have been better business  

There is now a FIFA limit on how many players a club can loan out, it was 7 last season and will be reduced to 6 this season.

We have already Coutinho out on loan for next season, that means we can only loan out 5 more players.

If we have more than 5 players we would like to loan out to give the players some match practice, we could see similar deals this season too.

• Like 1

Loving that we are buying another English player as well. 

Philogene, Rogers, Ramsey, Illing Jr, Watkins and Konsa in the England world cup squad. Plus decent chances for Mings and Barkley

36 minutes ago, Spoony said:

We seem to have achieved the feat of selling him last year for a PSR profit, and then, because of the buy back clause, buying him back this year also for a slender PSR profit. Maybe we can keep it going for another couple of years...

4 minutes ago, alexvilla4 said:

Loving that we are buying another English player as well. 

Philogene, Rogers, Ramsey, Illing Jr, Watkins and Konsa in the England world cup squad. Plus decent chances for Mings and Barkley

Not all of them would go but hopefully all feature at certain point so we get our number back by being the most club their players being capped.

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Well the point of a buyback can also be that we didn’t expect him to turn out as good as he has/as quickly as he has - but at least had the safety net of the buyback rather than lose him forever based on that judgment. Like Man City with Douglas Luiz if they decided they wanted him back. I actually think that makes it as much a sensible *footballing* decision as a sensible *financial* decision. 

To put it another way - I didn’t want us to sell Philogene and I didn’t want us to sell Gary Cahill. I’m way happier about the deal we had a buyback on even if it costs us a few million quid.

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MachoFantastico said:

I'm guessing Unai as guaranteed him more playtime this season which is exciting. 

Zero chance he's received any such thing.

People bemoaning the fact that he doesn't have PL experience and we are heading into the championship need to remember that Philogene was a far better player that Rogers in the championship and that turned out quite well in the end.

Excited for this. I was disappointed he decided to leave last year.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

People bemoaning the fact that he doesn't have PL experience and we are heading into the championship need to remember that Philogene was a far better player that Rogers in the championship and that turned out quite well in the end.

Excited for this. I was disappointed he decided to leave last year.

The same people would be bemoan if we didn't sign him. 

11 hours ago, duke313 said:

Emery seems to prefer his left footers play on the right. Philogene is right footed so left would make sense especially with Maatsen bombing forward. Roger’s I think moves behind Watkins.

Or, crazy thought. We now have a squad of players we have more than one player per position and lots of players who can play many positions. 

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Or, crazy thought. We now have a squad of players we have more than one player per position and lots of players who can play many positions. 

EMERY OUT

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

People who are upset that his return has cost 8m would be far more upset if we had sold him to Hull with no such clause and he was now their player... A player that is easily worth more than what we have outlayed...

It's not that different to how Man City structured our deal for Douglas Luiz: Sold him to us for a relatively low £15m and had the option to buy him back for £25m if he proved successful within a couple of seasons. Had Dougie been a stand-out player right away then City would have exercised that clause and if Philogene had underwhelmed at Hull we wouldn't be re-signing him. A smart way to do business, IMO. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Talk about an appearances based release clause included 🤔

I like the lad, left villa because he wanted to play football, now he's rejoining he doesn't just want promises he wants actual contract clauses about him playing football

Fair play to him, more should be like him 

4 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

It's not that different to how Man City structured our deal for Douglas Luiz: Sold him to us for a relatively low £15m and had the option to buy him back for £25m if he proved successful within a couple of seasons. Had Dougie been a stand-out player right away then City would have exercised that clause and if Philogene had underwhelmed at Hull we wouldn't be re-signing him. A smart way to do business, IMO. 

Look at dendoncker, if a loan fails you're stuck with him and have to try to do it all again the next year

If these deals fail you've already banked the money

And the reality is they very rarely succeed, trying to find examples of this kind of deal (or archers) in English football is really rare 

46 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah, but can they all play right back???

15 hours ago, ender4 said:

We sold Philogene for £5m and are buying him back for £13.5m a year later (matching £16m bid less 30% sell-on).   

Does that feel a little like Monchi didn't structure the sale very well? Either should have had a higher sale price or a better buyback clause? Of course i understand it's probably the best we could get at the time, but just seems a little rubbish from Villa's viewpoint.

Nah, I totally see where you're coming from but it more indicates just how talented he's been to get snapped up after just a year. If he'd been mediocre and took a while to get up to speed he'd have been at Hull for 2-3 years before this sale and we wouldn't have batted an eye.

I'm over the moon with this. 

Who cares if we've lost a bit of money, ultimately we've got him back and he's just had a brilliant season. 

We're signing arguably the most exciting prospect from the championship. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Nah, I totally see where you're coming from but it more indicates just how talented he's been to get snapped up after just a year. If he'd been mediocre and took a while to get up to speed he'd have been at Hull for 2-3 years before this sale and we wouldn't have batted an eye.

If you look at the deal we struck. Given the constraints (ie you cannot have buy back clauses in Championship). We sold him with a 30% sell on clause. We put a buy back option at £15m which could be triggered if they were in PL (where the clause is allowed) or if they struck a deal we would have first refusal. As part of this deal (and the Archer one to Sheffield United) we agreed contract terms as part of the deal so once clause is activated the player returns, no need to negotiate terms with the player. 

Both clauses we very smart. We got to book profit for the players to help PSR and the high expectation they would return to the club once they had played and improved over a season. Archer didn't have as good a season as we would have hoped/thought. Philogene did have a good season (like Archer has before him in Championship). 

All in all, very smart by the club. 

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â