Jaden Philogene

Kingman

1 minute ago, Pez1974 said:

Duran - yes; the talent is there but the brains aren't at the moment, and he seems to be a pain in the arse. 

Carlos - as you say. But we might incur a loss to lose him. 

Cash - because he is probably at his peak value, and I think we need to improve that area.

Moreno and/or Digne - we appear to have cover here now, but can we sell without making a loss?

Archer - if Unai doesn't rate him (and if he comes back), then he deserves a chance. Won't make much on him now though, given the buy-back price.

After that - it's who we can sell for good money  based on a combination of who else we have in the squad and what else we need. And I think Diaby might be the one, as much as it saddens me. 

Nice shouts 

however my thoughts..

I agree with Duran

Like Carlos, losing Cash means we need a like for like replacement (needed, but not a loss we can take to strengthen elsewhere)

moreno/Digne, 1 still could be registered if we don’t register Kamara, or both if we don’t register Mings aswell.. if not they’re “surplus to requirements” as it is now. So selling is needed, but won’t free up any extra room… yet

Archer is a free hit tbh. Being club trained hes not taking up a valuable squad spot, might be useful as back up if/when we sell Duran 

Soo I’m still at losing Digne or Buendia

😬 so glad I’m not making this decision for real 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

PSR isn’t really my issue, it’s the bloated squad. 

Maybe a “bloated squad “ means we might be able to put out a strong bench until the end of the season, instead of it being full of spotty teenagers with no experience.

And don’t forget five or six of the bloated squad will probably be out injured for lengthy periods, knowing our luck.

• Like 3

I get @CarryOnVilla point about the squad size and I think we do need to trim a little (Chambers, Hause, Dendonker, Cash, Moreno etc.) but I also think with how injuries were last year, we can have one or two players who are more for the league/cups so outside of the CL squad.

Diaby hasn't shown it fully at Villa yet but he's enormously talented. Going to get some push back for this but I stand by it....  I'd sell Bailey before Diaby all day every day!

spacer.png

Bailey is older, more injury prone and his dad is a ****head so will kick up a fuss at some point when we're rotating players.

I also think JJ's long term position will be in CM but we sometimes consider him a wing option currently

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

Maybe a “bloated squad “ means we might be able to put out a strong bench until the end of the season, instead of it being full of spotty teenagers with no experience.

And don’t forget five or six of the bloated squad will probably be out injured for lengthy periods, knowing our luck.

When I’m saying bloated, I’m saying we got more players then we can register 

PL registration is more flexible to get a few more in 

But CL is tougher. So far it’s 21 senior players and 4 club trained players (JJ, Archer, KKH, (maybe) Philogene)

go through and work out your CL squad. I doubt you’d find a spotty teenager 

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

It weakens the team, which isn't really what we want to do. 

Yes, but it strengthens the squad, I'm not sure on EMery's plans for Diaby, but he wasnt an untouchable last season (like say Emi/Konsa/Pau/Watkins). I'm not for it, but concerned we are allegedly £40m+ in the hole next June which needs addressing and Saudi money might offer that. 

45 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Nice shouts 

however my thoughts..

I agree with Duran

Like Carlos, losing Cash means we need a like for like replacement (needed, but not a loss we can take to strengthen elsewhere)

moreno/Digne, 1 still could be registered if we don’t register Kamara, or both if we don’t register Mings aswell.. if not they’re “surplus to requirements” as it is now. So selling is needed, but won’t free up any extra room… yet

Archer is a free hit tbh. Being club trained hes not taking up a valuable squad spot, might be useful as back up if/when we sell Duran 

Soo I’m still at losing Digne or Buendia

😬 so glad I’m not making this decision for real 

Sounds like you're discussing CL squad. We have a different issue trying to register him for the PL squad, but possibly slightly easier to resolve. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I don’t see the point in signing him, are are stacked in his positions 

Yeah, good point. We had no injuries last season either so not like we need extra depth...

14 minutes ago, paul514 said:

True, but there clearly is a point, it’s just not immediately obvious to us as fans. The interesting thing to speculate on is what Unai might have planned.. 

19 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Sounds like you're discussing CL squad. We have a different issue trying to register him for the PL squad, but possibly slightly easier to resolve. 

Ahh the PL squad is a touch easier as it doesn’t have the same limitations. 

But yeah I’m more focused on the CL with my point, as it’s the one that creates a tougher choice and upset players if they’re not registered. 

also my train of thought is based upon upset VTers that think tielemans/barkley/barrenechea/Kamara is not a good enough midfield for CL football. Sooo we need a new CM, but we need to find the room, where are we getting that room, that doesn’t weaken other areas… the only places I can find is Duran & Diaby/Buendia

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

But yeah I’m more focused on the CL with my point, as it’s the one that creates a tougher choice and upset players if they’re not registered. 

also my train of thought is based upon upset VTers that think tielsman/barkley/barrebechea/Kamara is not a good enough midfield for CL football. Sooo we need a new CM, but we need to find the room, where are we getting that room, that doesn’t weaken other areas… the only places I can find is Duran & Diaby/Buendia

mate... I understand the difficulty with Barrenechea but "Tielsman" is criminal.

Edited by LxYoungAVFC
  • Haha 3

Just now, CarryOnVilla said:

also my train of thought is based upon upset VTers that think tielsman/barkley/barrebechea/Kamara is not a good enough midfield for CL football. Sooo we need a new CM, but we need to find the room, where are we getting that room, that doesn’t weaken other areas… the only places I can find is Duran & Diaby/Buendia

I'm one of those that would like a loaned DM to cover Kamara in the first half of the season.  Although, it does sound like he may be on track for a return by November and if that's the case I'd be tempted to go with what we have until then,... Enzo I think will exceed some people's expectations.

Duran going leaves us weak up front though in my opinion. Unless Archer shows in pre season he can work with our style of play, we would have to replace him with a striker and that doesn't then give us any more space.

Like you, not sure how we get Philogene in without someone unexpected dropping out of CL squad.

26 minutes ago, paul514 said:

We have Bailey and Diaby (who I'm not even sure is best there). And that's it.

55 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Yes, but it strengthens the squad, I'm not sure on EMery's plans for Diaby, but he wasnt an untouchable last season (like say Emi/Konsa/Pau/Watkins). I'm not for it, but concerned we are allegedly £40m+ in the hole next June which needs addressing and Saudi money might offer that. 

JPB in and Diaby out does not strengthen the squad. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mazrim said:

We have Bailey and Diaby (who I'm not even sure is best there). And that's it.

Depends how you look at it. 

If he's playing on the right, we have Bailey, Diaby, McGinn, Buendia and potentially Tielemans who can all play there - on the left, Rogers, Ramsey, Illing-Junior and Dobbin.

We've got a lot of players in those attacking midfield/wing/support forward roles - I think something will have to give.

2 minutes ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

mate... I understand the difficulty with Barrenechea but "Tielsman" is criminal.

Cheers, fixed. 

Dyslexia, dumb, fat thumbs, fighting autocorrect, not proof reading. Take your pick. Single or multiple choice 

20 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I'm one of those that would like a loaned DM to cover Kamara in the first half of the season.  Although, it does sound like he may be on track for a return by November and if that's the case I'd be tempted to go with what we have until then,... Enzo I think will exceed some people's expectations.

Duran going leaves us weak up front though in my opinion. Unless Archer shows in pre season he can work with our style of play, we would have to replace him with a striker and that doesn't then give us any more space.

Like you, not sure how we get Philogene in without someone unexpected dropping out of CL squad.

Yeah I think Enzo is going to surprise fans too. Tidy unflappable player.

Archer is my only hope to selling Duran for a squad position. If archer steps up in pre season (hoping he will) then we have room for one more permanent signing elsewhere. 

And yes, I agree, short term loans for Kamara and maybe Mings would be ideal, but is there CL quality in the loan market?

and lucky for you, Philogene can be registered as club trained, and be 1 of the 4 with JJ, KKH and Archer (if we keep him)

but Philogene being in the overall squad, means we are stacked in wingers. So gives us room to sell one. Buendia being the less needed (maybe) but harder to sell,  and Diaby being the most easy to sell

Edited by CarryOnVilla

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Depends how you look at it. 

If he's playing on the right, we have Bailey, Diaby, McGinn, Buendia and potentially Tielemans who can all play there - on the left, Rogers, Ramsey, Illing-Junior and Dobbin.

We've got a lot of players in those attacking midfield/wing/support forward roles - I think something will have to give.

I only see Bailey and Diaby as a natural right winger amongst all those names. Plus its a massive fixture list next season if we aim to go deep in the cups (lets hope so).
After preseason, a couple may go out on loan too. Plus we don't even know what the main formation(s) will be

As for JPB, I was really disappointed  when we let him go last season. I thought he was the pick of the youngsters in preseason. If he's coming back, I'm all for it.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â