Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

45 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I think we should not rush players, it was a tough start this season, but games are getting easier, although CL games are coming up. So I think rotation and team management should be considered better. We have capable players in Duran, Jaden, Buendia, Ramsey, Barkley, Maatsen, Bogarde, Carlos and Kosta.

If Ollie isn’t ready just start Duran against Everton. We’ll have to rotate anyway. 

ollie is a confidence player though.  drop him and he drops a level.  he went up n levels when emery said you're my man and shipped out ings.  Which is why I suspect we were ready to let Duran go.  Stick with Ollie and if Duran isn't prepared to be patient get rid.  Duran is in better form but ollie will always be a better player.

On 04/09/2024 at 22:31, oishiiniku_uk said:

Watkins:

- Most goal involvements in the PL

- Scored a last minute winner in the semi final of an international tournament

- Reached a European semi-final at club level

- Helped his team to Champions League qualification for the first time

Palmer:

- Scored some goals (half of which were penalties) and did a 'brrrrr' celebration. 

Palmer actually ended up with the most goal involvements, including pens of course.

3 hours ago, tezzaleed said:

I'd agree with much of that but tbh the problem is with bellingham in it the focus is always on him.  personally I'd leave bellingham on the bench in order to build a good team with real quality and a balanced midfield.  bellingham in the team equals.  stick bellingham in attacking midfield and everyone else has to fit around him.  hence they all play below par and bellingham acts like a greedy kid on the playground. oh and watkins is great but don't think he should make that shortlist and tbh I'm glad he hasn't.  if he's on it he's a target for the madrid's etc..

Madrid are never coming in for Ollie whether he's on that list or not.

Watkins will come good. Think this two weeks will be an important one for fitness etc. assuming he’s not injured. I don’t think he scored in the first three last year either although granted performances were better. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Will he? Interesting view.

Better player is hard to judge but much like even comparing him to haaland, Ollie off the ball is incredible, both in possession and out of possession, he's the best pressing forward in the league, I'm sure he also made the most off the ball runs in the league last season (might be making that up ...)

Duran might end up a better finisher or better at holding the ball up or several other striker metrics but he won't end up better at that

And at the moment emery sets us up around Ollie's running, so did smith 

We'd need to tweak the set up 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Better player is hard to judge but much like even comparing him to haaland, Ollie off the ball is incredible, both in possession and out of possession, he's the best pressing forward in the league, I'm sure he also made the most off the ball runs in the league last season (might be making that up ...)

Duran might end up a better finisher or better at holding the ball up or several other striker metrics but he won't end up better at that

And at the moment emery sets us up around Ollie's running, so did smith 

We'd need to tweak the set up 

I don't think Ollie was incredible in possession until last season. I think it was a weakness of his until Unai came in. In terms of linking play, his touch and passing etc. No doubt he was excellent in that area last season though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I don't think Ollie was incredible in possession until last season. I think it was a weakness of his until Unai came in. In terms of linking play, his touch and passing etc. No doubt he was excellent in that area last season though.

I meant more as when we are possession as a team, his movement off the ball is excellent, like I said I'm sure he made the most off the ball runs in the PL last season, not him with the ball at his feet

I don't think Duran will ever stretch a defence in the way Ollie does, he'll provide different problems for sure but Ollie works an entire back 4 on his own with his running 

Not saying Duran won't ever work (and therefore be as good) but in terms of how we play right now we are set up around Ollie 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I meant more as when we are possession as a team, his movement off the ball is excellent, like I said I'm sure he made the most off the ball runs in the PL last season, not him with the ball at his feet

I don't think Duran will ever stretch a defence in the way Ollie does, he'll provide different problems for sure but Ollie works an entire back 4 on his own with his running 

Not saying Duran won't ever work (and therefore be as good) but in terms of how we play right now we are set up around Ollie 

IMO Duran makes 'killer runs' wanting a through ball, something Ollie has got better at, but he never used to make as many - see when Buendia played behind Ings VS when he played behind Watkins. But yeah Watkins creates so much space generally with his running.

Edited by Tom13

14 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Big take that. When Ollie was Duran’s age he was on loan at Weston-super-Mare.

yes fair point.  I suppose I mean over this season and maybe next Ollie is a better player if you ignore form.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Duran's ceiling is higher than Watkins. Kid can be anything

Yeah I love Ollie probably more than the next man, but Duran naturally has the key striker attributes which Ollie has had to work extremely hard to develop.

His baseline is higher. If he adds Ollie's work rate and hones his intelligence he can be ridiculous.

That being said, Ollie is still my starting striker at least for this season.

• Like 1

On 07/09/2024 at 15:58, tezzaleed said:

ollie is a confidence player though.  drop him and he drops a level.  he went up n levels when emery said you're my man and shipped out ings.  Which is why I suspect we were ready to let Duran go.  Stick with Ollie and if Duran isn't prepared to be patient get rid.  Duran is in better form but ollie will always be a better player.

But if he isn’t ready why would we risk injuring him? Same with Bailey if he wasn’t ready while Jaden was just start Jaden. The next couple of games we’ll need a proper rotation. Some league games will be the ones where we rest the players rather than Europe. 
Yes the squad isn’t looking big as it was during preseason (before Iling and Enzo left). But it still reasonably big. 

2 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

But if he isn’t ready why would we risk injuring him? Same with Bailey if he wasn’t ready while Jaden was just start Jaden. The next couple of games we’ll need a proper rotation. Some league games will be the ones where we rest the players rather than Europe. 
Yes the squad isn’t looking big as it was during preseason (before Iling and Enzo left). But it still reasonably big. 

Actor and comedian, Kenneth Williams 31st May, 1966

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Yes the squad isn’t looking big as it was during preseason (before Iling and Enzo left). But it still reasonably 

I don't think he's got an injury has he? he's just not match sharp.  he missed a pre season.  which may have been injury related but I'm not sure that's been reported has it.  I think he was just given time off after the euros.  too much time.  you only get sharpness and confidence back by playing.  fair enough rest him in mid season when he needs a break but if you don't play him when he's not sharp then it takes longer for him to get up to that level and he starts doubting himself.

1 hour ago, tezzaleed said:

I don't think he's got an injury has he? he's just not match sharp.  he missed a pre season.  which may have been injury related but I'm not sure that's been reported has it.  I think he was just given time off after the euros.  too much time.  you only get sharpness and confidence back by playing.  fair enough rest him in mid season when he needs a break but if you don't play him when he's not sharp then it takes longer for him to get up to that level and he starts doubting himself.

I think Emery said he was playing through a knock after last game

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â