Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

He was fouled for both chances, but still got to the ball first and should've scored. The first one should've been lifted over the keeper, the second one he needed to hit the corner. 

You saw him on the bench, he knows he's missing chances and is frustrated. He should be on at least 4 for the season already. However, Ollie is the type who scores for fun once he gets that first one. Hopefully, that will happen soon. 

I think the second was headed for the corner, but the keeper got a reflex save to it. The first he was closed down very quickly.

If it wasn’t for the Arsena missed chances I don’t think we’d be talking about the chances this week as any big deal. 

• Like 1

As Unai said,, he's getting the chances and it's just a matter of time before he scores. If Ramsey picks him out instead of Onana for the first goal Ollie gets the tap in instead. Only time I would worry about Ollie is if he wasn't getting chances, if he wasn't making the right runs and making the chances as it's on Tielemans and others to find him with the passes. 

He didn't score in the first 5 games last season. I wonder if we can go back in the thread to find what people said after the 5th game? 

Edited by CVByrne

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He didn't score in the first 5 games last season. I wonder if we can go back in the thread to find what people said after the 5th game? 

Knowing Villatalk, they were probably demanding that we get rid of him in a swap deal for Nakhi Wells. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I said he needed around 4 weeks and people wet there pants, I'm sticking to it. He looked a little better yesterday, but still doesn't have the sharpness. When this is back, I'm sure he'll start firing.

Can't come soon enough though, as I've seen nothing to convince me of a good season ahead as yet!

• Like 1

I still think we could play both Duran and Watkins. It’s a leftfield shout, sure, but Duran looks such a good finisher that as the season provreases we have to look at starting him.

I’m not sure whether we could play Watkins on the left, Rogers in the middle and Bailey on the right. Or maybe Ollie as a 10 and Rogers on the left but Rogers has looked very good in the 10.

It’s certainly something we should be considering, although not sure Ollie would be happy not being up front and playing a different role.

Good conundrum to have either way.

7 hours ago, LondonLax said:

He was getting a lot of stick in this thread at the start of last season. I remember it well. His goals against Hibs didn’t count for much and he needed replacing as our striker apparently. 

O thing changes much in here. 😡

23 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Unai is not going to drop Ollie, he had 13 assists last season, that alone, is like an insurance policy. His all round game is unique and a vital cog to this team. Duran is, atm, an impact sub. I don't see that changing, barring injury to Ollie, anytime soon.

Are you happy with Ollie's allround game in the three league games we've had so far this season?

33 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I do wonder how this would affect Ollie. He seems to thrive when he is the main man

Indeed. He got a new lease of life when we sold Ings. His worst season with us was the year we signed Ings.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Are you happy with Ollie's allround game in the three league games we've had so far this season?

If you're holding him to the standard of last season, obviously not. That's a very high bar though, and we're only three games into the season. The important thing is, he's creating opportunities for himself, so, for me, it's only a matter of time before he starts firing. He is still the first forward on that team - sheet, hence, Emery insistng on still singling him out for praise after Saturday's game. Put it like this, if the manager is happy with Ollie starting, then you won't find me second - guessing him.

No need to change anything from an offensive point of view. We're winning games, and when Ollie gets his eye in, we'll be winning them, likely, more convincingly. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

If you're holding him to the standard of last season, obviously not. That's a very high bar though, and we're only three games into the season. The important thing is, he's creating opportunities for himself, so, for me, it's only a matter of time before he starts firing. He is still the first forward on that team - sheet, hence, Emery insistng on still singling him out for praise after Saturday's game. Put it like this, if the manager is happy with Ollie starting, then you won't find me second - guessing him.

No need to change anything from an offensive point of view. We're winning games, and when Ollie gets his eye in, we'll be winning them, likely, more convincingly. 

That's the standard we need him to be at though.

23 minutes ago, duke313 said:

That's the standard we need him to be at though.

Depends who you mean by "We." If Unai is part of that we, then it seems the standard is being met for him to start games.

If you was to take a poll amongst Villa supporters, start with Ollie or Duran, I think most would be, firmly, behind Ollie.

Edited by sheepyvillian

25 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

We've won two of three actually, and that game VS Arsenal could have been a lot different if Ollie had taken that first chance. His all-round game in that game was terrible though - his touch was way off and his passing was awry. He needs to sharpen up because Duran is playing very well and is involving himself nicely in our attacking moves as well.

I’m honestly not concerned about Ollie’s form. He’s a top striker, one of the best in the league. He will come good, he’s too good not to. The best thing is that we are still able to win without his goals. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I said he needed around 4 weeks and people wet there pants, I'm sticking to it. He looked a little better yesterday, but still doesn't have the sharpness. When this is back, I'm sure he'll start firing.

Can't come soon enough though, as I've seen nothing to convince me of a good season ahead as yet!

It will come. It's the nature òf strikers to go through spells where they can't literally hit the back of the net. I mean, look at Harland, he can only do it against shit teams.😉

12 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

We've won two of three actually, and that game VS Arsenal could have been a lot different if Ollie had taken that first chance. His all-round game in that game was terrible though - his touch was way off and his passing was awry. He needs to sharpen up because Duran is playing very well and is involving himself nicely in our attacking moves as well.

It will, imo, take some barren run for Unai to drop Ollie. I'm even surprised it's up for debate. I'm all for criticism, but he's far too good to be ommited from the starting 11.

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm even surprised it's up for debate.

I'm surprised that you're surprised, given how poor his performances (not just his finishing) have been in our first three games. He'll come good but competition is healthy.

No pre season. No real summer break. 

He showed better signs in our last game. He'll continue to show improvement for another couple of games.

He's not a player that just switches it back on in a moment, he works his way into form.

He'll be back to his best soon assuming he's not carrying an injury of sorts.

Nothing to worry about at this stage, and not worth dropping either. The fact Duran is on fire with his goalscoring makes it an interesting debate though. Duran won't stay the happy chappy he is right now if he doesn't get given a start soon while Ollie doesn't score.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â