Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

46 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Did he get a touch for the Onana goal? He's been credited with the assist. It was Ramsey that cut it back right?

He must have, I thought they had just made a mistake when I saw his name. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Don’t be stupid. 

He’s not fit. We know he’s not fit, Emery has said he’s not fit. He’s just not up to match fitness. 

That’s it. 

It’s nothing to do with his head being somewhere else ffs

Don't think you need fitness to control the ball. He's just playing badly.

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

He's feeling the pressure. As we saw with Ings he ain't great at competition and really tightens up and snatches imo.

I don't think this is the case. If it is, may as well sell him asap. Can't have a striker that can only perform if you don't have any other strikers in the squad.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Did he get a touch for the Onana goal? He's been credited with the assist. It was Ramsey that cut it back right?

Yeah, he got a glancing toe on it.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

You really do. 

But regardless, the point is it’s not because his head is somewhere else. He’s just having a bad start

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

You really do. 

When everyone comes back for pre-season and no one is match fit...can none of them control the ball?

Somehow, having Watkins experience a sense of intense goal hunger around now seems absolutely fine. Not sure I would want it any other way, given the interesting knock-on effects of his little misfires (Duran staying and asserting his greatness, Morgan pushing hard, etc.). I still think he's overall the best all-around striker in the league. And he plays. For. Villa.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

When everyone comes back for pre-season and no one is match fit...can none of them control the ball?

Being knackered makes everything harder. If someone is blowing out of their arse they’re going to be worse at controlling the ball.

Im not saying every bad touch or bit of control is purely because of a lack of match fitness. But it’s not crazy to suggest Watkins’ problems are because he’s not fully fit

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Being knackered makes everything harder. If someone is blowing out of their arse they’re going to be worse at controlling the ball.

Im not saying every bad touch or bit of control is purely because of a lack of match fitness. But it’s not crazy to suggest Watkins’ problems are because he’s not fully fit

I can see that. I just think it's confidence right now, he's never been the most assertive.

He didn't have a huge holiday off and I bet he's currently already the fittest player in the team again. He didn't miss the first half sitter against Arsenal because he was tired.

No big drama overall as annoying as the Arsenal result was. The team (including Watkins), did enough for points that day, but it happens.

Nice reset now with the internationals. I'd imagine he'll start against Everton and score against Everton.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Whilst I don't think it's a core fitness thing, he was always the last one running in the run till you drop stuff they do. He's very clearly lacking in match fitness though which is understandable seeing as he didn't play after the euros. He'll get there though. He's a great player.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Don’t be stupid. 

He’s not fit. We know he’s not fit, Emery has said he’s not fit. He’s just not up to match fitness. 

That’s it. 

It’s nothing to do with his head being somewhere else ffs

He is doing everything right but his finishing

I odn't think it's a fitness thing but a confidence thing

Could make a case he was fouled on both his chances today. He got blocked off my Faes on the first one which could have been the difference of him rounding the keeper or not, and then was pushed in the back as he took the shot on his second chance. Both would be borderline fouls but definitely enough to impact the situation 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monsieur Hazdazler said:

Could make a case he was fouled on both his chances today. He got blocked off my Faes on the first one which could have been the difference of him rounding the keeper or not, and then was pushed in the back as he took the shot on his second chance. Both would be borderline fouls but definitely enough to impact the situation 

He was fouled for both chances, but still got to the ball first and should've scored. The first one should've been lifted over the keeper, the second one he needed to hit the corner. 

You saw him on the bench, he knows he's missing chances and is frustrated. He should be on at least 4 for the season already. However, Ollie is the type who scores for fun once he gets that first one. Hopefully, that will happen soon. 

11 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't think this is the case. If it is, may as well sell him asap. Can't have a striker that can only perform if you don't have any other strikers in the squad.

I think there's something with his mentality and I'm not criticising, if anything I'm the same and it's probably why he's streaky too.

He has periods when he's great he doesn't second guess he goes through and it seems mentally he's "this is a goal no problem" and it is and then he has periods like now where's he's going through and almost hitting the ball in hope it goes in.

10 hours ago, tomav84 said:

should've scored today but otherwise he was a handful. his best game so far this season. lead the line very well.

Admittedly I have only seen the highlights but I felt he was unlucky not to score and think he’ll be in the goals v soon. 

Has to learn to not make misses get to him as much as it does.

This is where Duran has an advantage on him. If Duran misses a chance he doesn't care and will score the next one. Haaland is the same.

Being such a confidence player is Watkins big weak point as a striker.

I'm sure he will come good soon enough though.

Wonder who will take our penalties now Doug has gone.......I would like it to be Ollie but could understand him not wanting them but for me this is what he needs to add to his game, a bit more confidence/arrogance. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â