Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

22 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

The lack of pre-season can be the excuses for his general trash play.

No pre-season doesn't excuse the two misses. Absolutely pathetic attempts. Really honking.

It doesn't excuse them but it's still probably the reason.

I'm fairly sure he'd had one touch in the game before his first miss. He wasn't in the game at all. A fully fit striker who's got a few pre season games and goals under his belt would bury it.

They still shouldn't happen, but lack of pre-season and general sharpness is still the reason they happened. 

• Like 2

He  needs to get sharp super quick. Though I do worry it's going to a take s good 4 weeks still

Watching Haaland and Salah straight on it,  proves a pre season is everything.

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

He  needs to get sharp super quick. Though I do worry it's going to a take s good 4 weeks still

They’re much better players too.

Although I do think with a good preseason under his belt he buries both chances. I’ll predict a goal against Leicester at the weekend. He’ll still be thinking about those two missed chances.

• Like 1

Just now, Killeen30 said:

Although I do think with a good preseason under his belt he buries both chances. I’ll predict a goal against Leicester at the weekend. He’ll still be thinking about those two missed chances.

Let's hope so. But Watkins does seem to find it hard to shrug off the mentality.

It will be eating him alive right now Id imagine, knowing how much he beats himself up. Having a monkey on your back already after just 2 games isnt ideal; but a great run of games coming up now to put it right.

Who knows, maybe Duran scoring straight away has got him back in that zone he was in when Ings came in. Either way, he’s coming out of this mini slump, on Saturday.

30 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

It will be eating him alive right now Id imagine, knowing how much he beats himself up. Having a monkey on your back already after just 2 games isnt ideal; but a great run of games coming up now to put it right.

Who knows, maybe Duran scoring straight away has got him back in that zone he was in when Ings came in. Either way, he’s coming out of this mini slump, on Saturday.

Yeah it's not ideal at all and I'm sure he's replayed both those situations in his head over and over already. As you say though, plenty of good games coming up that should be perfect for him to get his mojo back.

He does seem to struggle a little with the mental side of the game and that is probably something that he really needs to work on, because we know the footballing brain & capabilities are there. We will likely get even more competitive as a squad over time as well, so dealing with competition is inevitable for him.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

They are two elite/world class whatever you want to call it players. Ollie is a level below. His first touch and finishing have never been top level and never will be. His strengths are his work rate physicality and lack of an ego. He going to get 15-20 league goals for us this season but he's not going to get ~25+ like Salah or Harland can. The misses against Arsenal, especially the first one, are too regular for him to really be a top level player.  

Edited by villa89
  • Like 2

A lot of pressure on Ollie this season, he’ll want to become England main striker (new manager), he’ll want to break the 20 goal margin(and by doing so becomes our prem top scorer) and he’ll want to prove that he can compete in champs league. 

With all that and a lack of pre season, it’s no wonder he’s looking a little off at the moment. As always with him, once he gets his first goal he’ll go on a run. 

4 hours ago, villa89 said:

His strengths are his work rate physicality and lack of an ego.

I'm not convinced about that ..... just saying !

22 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I will back Ollie Watkins even if he only bags 9-10 goals this season. He is a phenomenal Villa man. A top signing.

I agree in backing him but he can't be scoring so few goals, we need him to be getting 15+ this season again especially when we haven't really signed anyone to strengthen the attack and lost the contributions from Diaby and Luiz. Ideally he becomes our first striker to break 20 league goals in a Prem season which he should have done last season.

20 hours ago, villa89 said:

They are two elite/world class whatever you want to call it players. Ollie is a level below. His first touch and finishing have never been top level and never will be. His strengths are his work rate physicality and lack of an ego. He going to get 15-20 league goals for us this season but he's not going to get ~25+ like Salah or Harland can. The misses against Arsenal, especially the first one, are too regular for him to really be a top level player.  

They are elite level finishers. Their link up play and all round game isn't as good as you make out, hence why Keane joked that Haaland looks a League 2 player at times. 

I agree that Ollie's finishing isn't as good as theirs though. 

3 minutes ago, GamingDad said:

He needs a goal to settle him down. Breaking the deadlock is mentally going to do him the world of good.

Why? He didn't score for the first 5 PL games last season and he did OK in the end.

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Why? He didn't score for the first 5 PL games last season and he did OK in the end.

Last season he wasn't coming off a PL Team of the Season run, an England tournament and being the saviour of the Semi-Final. Expectations.

22 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

22 hours ago, Killeen30 said:

Not trying to be funny, but have you seen some of the chances BOTH those players, and other top players miss all the time?

Ollie just gets more stick from us because his cost us and we see him all the time.

Haaland has missed sitters worse than Ollie.

Doesn't make any of them bad players 

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â