Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

I think he's more mentally jaded than physical. He got into positions to score goals but wasn't able to finish them. People should stop asking about that England goal. Forget it, it's in the past. Focus on Villa. 

19 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He’s had no pre season, West Ham and Arsenal was basically his Walsall and Spartak Trnava.

Great. Fantastic. It’s all ok then isn’t it?

As a club, we’re happy with our most important outfield player being rusty for 5% of the season (could well be more) are we?

No preseason isn’t an excuse. It’s either on him or the club that it’s happened and it’s cost us 3 points already this season. Let’s hope it isn’t more. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Great. Fantastic. It’s all ok then isn’t it?

As a club, we’re happy with our most important outfield player being rusty for 5% of the season (could well be more) are we?

No preseason isn’t an excuse. It’s either on him or the club that it’s happened and it’s cost us 3 points already this season. Let’s hope it isn’t more. 

What's your solution? He's 67% stamina. Reloading an earlier save won't fix that

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

He didn’t have to not have a preseason. We’re dressing this up as, ‘oh, it’s fine, he’ll come good’. And yes, he probably will come good, but why didn’t he have a pre season? If injured, fair enough, but I’ve heard no mention of it from the club or manager.

He should have either returned to the club earlier or played a couple of matches. How many minutes did he get at the Euro’s? About the same as Konsa? Konsa has been very good these first two games.

Dunno, just annoying that it’s accepted he didn’t have a pre season. He should have and and it’s either on the club or him that he didn’t. 

Despite appreciating your trolling of Buendia and I am going to stick with the world class manager and his decision to have Ollie go on holiday and not partake in pre-season. He has to play himself into fitness and form and we should be supporting him doing so - he fired the club to the champions league and deserves the support. 

Short memories.

• Like 1

I do find it odd he’s so far off it. I don’t see how not having a pre-season but having very recently played an international tournament makes you forget how to shoot into an open goal.

Hope his confidence isn’t too knocked as he does very much seem to be a confidence player. Ultimately he cost us the game and I think we are all gutted about that but need to rally behind him as he is also the reason we win so many. 

It was right him not having a pre season. He needed a break from football but i still think his mind isn't fully switched on. Those two misses will put him straight for Leicester. I think we will see the old Ollie next week. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 3

Still can't believe how he missed that first chance. It was basically an open goal. The second chance was a good save by the keeper and less on him but he should have got it more in the corner.

I think he'll stay in the side but I'd almost be tempted to play him on the left, Rogers in the middle and Bailey on the right with Duran up top. Duran wouldn't miss either of the two chances yesterday I don't think and we can't afford to drop points against Leicester because Ollie's shooting isn't up to scratch yet. 

It would mean benching captain McGinn but he's done very little in the first couple of games and he's being shoehorned into the side by playing wide left when he doesn't have the pace or dribbling ability to play that position. Onana and Tielemans are playing too well together to drop either of them.

• Confused 1

I think we saw yesterday how important he is in the defensive part of his game. His off the ball movement goes unnoticed

He still offer a lot to the team even when not scoring

• Like 1

The lack of pre-season can be the excuses for his general trash play.

No pre-season doesn't excuse the two misses. Absolutely pathetic attempts. Really honking.

Being the confidence player he is, is one of his few weaknesses.

Haaland can miss the first one but then will score on the second one because misses doesn't faze him.

5 hours ago, Pinebro said:

I think we saw yesterday how important he is in the defensive part of his game. His off the ball movement goes unnoticed

Exactly, his pressing was a key part of keeping Arsenal under wraps. Once Duran and Ramsey came on we lost that discipline and looked worse for it.

12 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

No pre-season doesn't excuse the two misses. Absolutely pathetic attempts. Really honking.

I'm sure Unai has instructed him to write you an apology letter pronto.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The first miss was pretty bad but really struggle to blame him for the second big chance. He does everything he can with an awkwardly bouncing ball that he has to turn into a very quick diving header, hits it on target and towards the side, and Raya performs what is probably the save of the season so far. Genuinely can't think of much else he could have done in that split second: it wasn't a horrible miss, it was an incredible save. It happens. 

We all know that once Watkins gets up and running he's one of the best in the world. We've had him for four seasons, we know that he has some dry patches followed by periods of being unstoppable (with the latter much more common under Emery). Just a bit of patience and luck and the usual world-class service will resume: Emery knows this and Watkins now knows this (as he has admitted himself under Emery in the past)

Edited by wishywashy

53 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

I'm sure Unai has instructed him to write you an apology letter pronto.

NOT ACCEPTED OLIVER GEORGE!

Get out there and get Unai some goals.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pinebro said:

And also glimpses of why Duran won't make it here unless can also add this part to his game with a bit more purpose. Of course he is still young so will improve in this area. 

Backing Ollie to bounce back strong as he always does.

Just saw his miss, I feel for him...not going to criticise a player who has been so good for Villa.

Probably still not quite there yet, hopefully gets up to speed soon.

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Just saw his miss, I feel for him...not going to criticise a player who has been so good for Villa.

Probably still not quite there yet, hopefully gets up to speed soon.

I think he though he just had to get the header on target as Keeper was out of it on his back on the ground. 

The earlier one he looked to be off balance which impacted his miss. 

Key for me is Ollie is getting into the positions to score like that against the best defence in the League. He'll score plenty of goals

22 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

What a fan. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â