Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

When I awakened this morning I shook my head in disbelief at Watkins goal. To shoot through the legs of the defender beating the keeper on the opposite side of the goal was just flipping magic. No other word for it, magic!!

If Kylian Mbappe had scored that goal the whole footballing world would be raving about it.

Watkins won’t start against Spain but he should imo. Not because of his goal but currently England are playing with one man short. Whether Kane is carrying an injury or not he’s been a shadow of himself throughout the tournament and far too easily marked. He can barely run and has no pace to break on teams. Even his ball retention has been genuinely awful.

It would be a brave call by Southgate to drop Kane and start Watkins but it should be done!

If there is one negative to Watkin’s goal last night all of Europe will have seen it. Consequently, interest from other clubs will only increase but so would his fee.

Must be viewed in the region of a £100m player now!

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Ha! I was exactly the same. As soon as he got that perfectly weighted pass from Palmer I whispered "NOW..." - and he swivelled and pulled the trigger. I was jumping up screaming "OLLIEEEEEEEE!!!!!" before it even hit the net. What a player. 

A never to be forgotten moment. 

I think even with the media clamour, everyone is sort of downplaying how hard that shot was to pull off. He's at a tight angle, covered by a defender. XG on that shot must have been pretty low. It was a world class strike.

Edit. 

I just checked and the xG is being quoted as 0.06. Wow. What a goal.

Edited by HKP90
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I think even with the media clamour, everyone is sort of downplaying how hard that shot was to pull off. He's at a tight angle, covered by a defender. XG on that shot must have been pretty low. It was a world class strike.

Edit. 

I just checked and the xG is being quoted as 0.06. Wow. What a goal.

There are probably only a very small handful of players in the world who could pull that off.

Everybody on here knew he could score from there. Not a shock for us at all.

1 minute ago, Dodgyknees said:

Yeah I instantly thought of the goal at Chelsea when he scored it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

I think wider than on here as well, Football365 described it as something like “if there was such thing as An Ollie Watkins Goal it is this, a goal he has scored again and again for Aston Villa.” Gary Lineker said he has been screaming for him all tournament and was celebrating as soon as Palmer played the pass because he knew the run Watkins had made was the first time we had given the defence that problem all night.

FWIW I think the wider media generally recognise at least the past sensational season even if not the longer term success he’s had.

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

BBC are running an article charting Ollie's rise from Weston-super-Mare to the Euro's.

While it's a decent piece, and I'm loving the new publicity, I do find it a bit odd that this is being portrayed as a 'no one saw this coming' kind of deal, given that he topped or nearly topped almost every metric for strikers in the PL last season, and got us into the CL. 

It's not like he was picked for England while playing for Stevenage.

Sorry but get a grip!!!!  Some people just look for utter bollox!!!! He’s ours so don’t worry your selfs! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, JPAngel said:

Are Brentford claiming Ollie again now, after they absolutely eviscerated him for his "conduct" at the Gtech at the back end of last year? :lol:

Maybe a few but we all have them.He applauded the bees fans at Villa park in the return game.Remember there were Villa fans giving him stick not so long ago on here.Im just pleased for him having come through the hard way.Hearing he could be joined by another Bee this season 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

Gary Lineker said he has been screaming for him all tournament and was celebrating as soon as Palmer played the pass because he knew the run Watkins had made was the first time we had given the defence that problem all night.

Saw something earlier saying it wasn't just the run that was different, the pass from palmer was also something that sake and foden hadn't been trying all tournament either 

It's probably right too, definitely not saka, that's not his game 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

BBC are running an article charting Ollie's rise from Weston-super-Mare to the Euro's.

While it's a decent piece, and I'm loving the new publicity, I do find it a bit odd that this is being portrayed as a 'no one saw this coming' kind of deal, given that he topped or nearly topped almost every metric for strikers in the PL last season, and got us into the CL. 

It's not like he was picked for England while playing for Stevenage.

Is it being portrayed as no-one saw it coming? Or are they just doing an article because it's going to get way more clicks given what he's just done for England? Come on....

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Saw something earlier saying it wasn't just the run that was different, the pass from palmer was also something that sake and foden hadn't been trying all tournament either 

It's probably right too, definitely not saka, that's not his game 

100% - Palmer gets into dangerous quickly, and crucially, into feet. Whether he's starting or coming off the bench, he's key.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Anybody that watches football beyond their own team knows how good Watkins is. 

This is true. Several of my mates support other teams, and the more clued-up ones all acknowledge that Ollie is top class, and should have been leading the line for England long before now. 

• Like 2

Our very own Ollie finally getting some well deserved recognition internationally. Absolutely brilliant player and person. Couldn't be happier for him! UTV!

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â