Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Was it just me who thought the assist aside toney was actually pretty poor?

Hard to have good hold up play when you're isolated but not a lot stuck 

Still think Ollies energy is exactly what England are missing 

Probably away from Villa boards.. He wasn’t poor he did what he was sent on to do. Apart from the assist ensuring  a win enough stuck and he won at least one foul holding the ball up so what more could he have done ? 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, smg said:

Probably away from Villa boards.. He wasn’t poor he did what he was sent on to do. Apart from the assist ensuring  a win enough stuck and he won at least one foul holding the ball up so what more could he have done ? 

Yeah probably fair he did what Southgate wanted, maybe I'm just stuck at not thinking that the best way to set up is go long to Toney with no one around him hoping he brings it down or somehow manages a 30 yard flick on

He worked the CBs but didn't press or run the channels, Watkins chasing a ball played in to space would be better imo so would Ollie's pressing their CBs but that's not how Southgate wants to play 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, macandally said:

An assist?  It deflected onto his head FFS!

Game was calling out for pace, it never came.  Ollie better off keeping powder dry as we are out next round and Kanes legs have gone 

Deflected onto who's head? Toney headed it directly to Kane didn't he? Toney played well tbh. Looked much more mobile than Kane.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Deflected onto who's head? Toney headed it directly to Kane didn't he? Toney played well tbh. Looked much more mobile than Kane.

Yes you have to give credit where credit is due.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah probably fair he did what Southgate wanted, maybe I'm just stuck at not thinking that the best way to set up is go long to Toney with no one around him hoping he brings it down or somehow manages a 30 yard flick on

He worked the CBs but didn't press or run the channels, Watkins chasing a ball played in to space would be better imo so would Ollie's pressing their CBs but that's not how Southgate wants to play 

What about a system with Toney working the centre backs and pressing while Watkins runs the channels and presses. Surely an international coach could find a system to make that work  when the normal one with Kane isn’t working . Such a switch would surely mess up the oppositions organisation and cause problems ?

I actually don’t think Watkins is the answer in these kinds of games. He’s never looked good against a low block for Villa, and Southgate’s England are too slow on the transition for him to get in behind.

He could be more useful against a better side where it’s more back and forth.

• Like 4

Â