Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

If we're going to be starting both of them while Traore is at the ACON, I would try Ings on the left. He's a more intelligent player, a better passer, yes not as much pace but cutting inside I could see him being pretty useful. Might fail but I'd try it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

20/21 29 appearances  and 12 goals 

19/20 38 appearances ,22 goals 

18/19 24 appearances 7goals

17/18 8 appearances 1 goal

15/16 6 appearances 1 goal 

He did his cruciate and had knee surgery along with hamstring injurys and plenty more niggles

I wonder if he’d still be with Pool had he not blown out his knee and missed 300 days.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Ings is the closet you will get to a modern day Darren Bent, main difference he works harder, but ultimately he's like an old fahsioned 'fox in the box' striker. There's a reason that despite having a very goal scoring record in terms of goals to appearance ratio, he's spent his career at clubs like Burnley, Southampton, not being able to get into the Liverpool team, and then signing for us as a back up striker, and that's because his all round game isn't great, he doesn't offer much unless he's scoring goals. Which is fine, he's a good weapon to have to come off the bench.

Not true

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Watkins is the opposite, scores goals and has a very good all round game, he's the best striker we've had in a long time, only Benteke comes close.

Last season he was, this season he’s a shadow of himself.  Ings is better at the moment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

Ings hasn't been anywhere near as good as Watkins, it's not even close. Watkins has been our best attacker this season, and we look so much better with him in the side, people focus too much on the odd time he might lose the ball, or that a pass doesn't quite work out, and completely ignore all the good he does.

You don't see Ings make the same kind of mistakes that Watkins sometimes makes, because Ings doesn't get into the game enough to make those mistakes. It's not even that Ings is bad, I thought he played well today, it's just that Watkins is better and more consistent.

This is your opinion but I disagree completely 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

ings scored a good goal and was one of our better players today but we loose that running, and pressing and workrate without him.  

Problem is that Ollie’s work rate, mobility hasn’t been the same this season and he seems slightly slower. I wonder if his early season injury has affected more than we thought.

37 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Problem is that Ollie’s work rate, mobility hasn’t been the same this season and he seems slightly slower. I wonder if his early season injury has affected more than we thought.

We looked really toothless today though without him even though we controlled large parts of the game. 

Just now, PaulC said:

We looked really toothless today though without him even though we controlled large parts of the game. 

We’ve looked toothless for ages whether Watkins or Ings or both are playing.  Watkins doesn’t make us less toothless, if anything he makes it worse this season.  Most of that is because we don’t create enough for our strikers but our attacking play doesn’t look more toothless if Ollie doesn’t play.

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We’ve looked toothless for ages whether Watkins or Ings or both are playing.  Watkins doesn’t make us less toothless, if anything he makes it worse this season.  Most of that is because we don’t create enough for our strikers but our attacking play doesn’t look more toothless if Ollie doesn’t play.

Against the better teams yes but against the teams we can beat who have beat we looked more threatening than today. Not Ings fault, he played well but there was no pace to get behind them. 

Edited by PaulC

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

If we're going to be starting both of them while Traore is at the ACON, I would try Ings on the left. He's a more intelligent player, a better passer, yes not as much pace but cutting inside I could see him being pretty useful. Might fail but I'd try it.

If we get a really mobile attacking left wing back we could try the 3-5-2 again.  We did have a few good performances, it's just Dean kept with it too long.

• Like 1

I think we’ve clearly looked best this season when Watkins has been at CF in a front 3.

Yes he has technical issues and his finishing isn’t as good as Ings… and he sometimes takes the selfish option when there’s a pass on. I get all of that.

But despite those weaknesses, we just look a much more balanced side with him leading the line, and I’m surprised there’s any debate about that tbh. Ings is a very clever, talented player who I massively rate, but I don’t think he suits our system.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Any one think he didn't play, because of a problem behind closed doors, or genuine Covid. Gerrard didn't seem to want to say much about him.

I personally think he is looking for a move, especially now Smith has gone.

The fact he said hes back next game means it must be covid. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Watkins will only be off if it is in our best interests . Which means an obcene amount of .money north of 50 . 

Yep.

£30m odd from the Championship, now proven he can do it in the Prem. No reason to sell for under £50m.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â