Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

16 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Does anyone think he has improved as a player since joining?

He's still a good player, but I must admit I expected him to kick on a bit more. Maybe improve the areas he isn't so strong in, like his decision making.

How much can you expect a 25 year old to improve? 

At 25 you are supposed to be in your prime. 

Edited by villalad21

Ollie hasn't been as good as last season, I am not sure if he is sulking but him and Ings seem to have no chemistry. 

His workrate is still there but his technique has gotten so bad. It was never his strong point but it has gotten shitter

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ollie hasn't been as good as last season, I am not sure if he is sulking but him and Ings seem to have no chemistry. 

His workrate is still there but his technique has gotten so bad. It was never his strong point but it has gotten shitter

I agree there but it was always going to be difficult to live up to last seasons standards. i dont think hes that far away though. 

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

I agree there but it was always going to be difficult to live up to last seasons standards. i dont think hes that far away though. 

Really. Is it that hard to keep up standards, or did Grealish make everyone a player?

9 hours ago, villalad21 said:

If this season is the best he’s got then maybe best to sell him to Arsenal for £60-80m while we can get a premium.

Given he’s only just over a season in the PL I think there should be room to improve and there are many players that don’t peak until they are 27, 28, 29 years old so he can improve a fair bit given he’s got more time with better coaches, facilities and experience.  He’s only been at a big club and the PL for 18 months, he’s fairly new to this level really.

Also remember he has only really played as a striker for a few seasons so he’s still learning the position as well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If this season is the best he’s got then maybe best to sell him to Arsenal for £60-80m while we can get a premium.

Given he’s only just over a season in the PL I think there should be room to improve and there are many players that don’t peak until they are 27, 28, 29 years old so he can improve a fair bit given he’s got more time with better coaches, facilities and experience.  He’s only been at a big club and the PL for 18 months, he’s fairly new to this level really.

Also remember he has only really played as a striker for a few seasons so he’s still learning the position as well.

Exactly, maybe physically he is in his prime but he is still learning the position. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Well, as a comparison, when Jamie Vardy was 25 he scored four goals in his first Championship season and he has improved considerably ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Well, as a comparison, when Jamie Vardy was 25 he scored four goals in his first Championship season and he has improved considerably ;)

This is a really good point. Even at 26/27 Vardy had massive holes in his game. He improved year on year. Ollie is learning to play a new position whilst holding his own in the most competitive league in the world. He is also a new Dad which can take it’s toll, particularly during a global pandemic!

Ollie always works incredibly hard and gives his all for the team. He is a constant nuisance to the opposition defenders. He makes the most of many hopeful punts up front and he has really good physicality. For where we are right now he is as important to our starting eleven as any other outfield player. He also has massive scope to improve.
He has to play up top though. Move him away from central striker and his effectiveness plummets. The strange signing of Ings has certainly caused confusion because he does not make it into our first 11 and that can never have been the intention. 

• Like 1

On 17/12/2021 at 11:10, nick76 said:

There is a whole thread where he’s getting constantly criticised and people wanting him to be sold if possible in the Danny Ings thread.  Ings gets far more criticised than Ollie to the extent that people think he should be sold, Ollie has never had that yet their stats aren’t much different.  

If you’ve watched the games, I think it’s hard to argue against that Ollie isn’t performing as well as last season despite his goals.

He seems to lack conviction this season for me.

I like Ollie in general, but he needs to be more of a threat....right now, I don't think he is.

• Like 2

He's work rate is extraordinary, never seen a striker press like he does, if we can get 10 players with that work rate and attitude then we would be top 4. 

Jack's a massive loss to Watkins , those two on form ran riot in certain games last season. Think it's affected his game more than anyone else I'm the team ( apart from Smith) 

If he was to leave......Liverpool would be my guess,  Klopp loves him and described him as unplayable after a certain game last season. Be a sad day for us as players like Watkins are very hard to find.....and keep 

• Like 1

On 30/12/2021 at 18:34, TRO said:

He seems to lack conviction this season for me.

I like Ollie in general, but he needs to be more of a threat....right now, I don't think he is.

Prior to Chelsea he has scored 5 goals in the previous 10 Premier League games so cant really agree with you on that 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â