Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

5 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Ffs, are we on the SHA forum?

I can't believe our player of the season is getting this rubbish on a Villa thread.

I reckon the thread in Ollie's own head is far worse. I just hope he moves on, too, and his poor England experiences don't shake his confidence generally.

I think most national team playing is just very, very different from Emeryball.

Plenty of Ings fans out here again. 

Ollie is just pure quality, will go to the tournament and will be used as a super sub. Could just be the one to bring the first title for Kane.

He can’t seem to get involved when he plays for England, had just 13 touches when he was subbed. With Villa he’s usually the main man, constantly involved, linking up or carrying the ball. It’s obviously because the teams have different instructions but it won’t make Ollie look better.

Personally, as much as it's frustrating for the players, I would much rather our internationals don't play as well for their nations and save their best football for the Villa.

Sick of having our best talent taken away from us after getting in the England team.

He's never done well for England, it's just calling it out for what it is. 

The fact is he isn't a target man and to play in Southgate's system you have to be a focal point for the team and hold up the ball well. Ollie excels when running into open spaces so against low blocks he's fairly useless.

Ivan Toney didn't get on and Kane will start on Friday apparently so I think Watkins will still probably go to the Euros, but I think his performances in the last couple of friendlies have ruled him out of getting much game time.

The fact is if Kane gets injured and Watkins comes in to replace him England will suffer. And I say that as an England fan as well as a Villa fan.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

Thought he was fine. Worked hard and did what he could with the sparse service afforded him. Shame he didn't get the chance to play with the "big guns" who all came on at 60mins.

We say that but against Brazil he started up front with Foden and Bellingham behind him and Rice in midfield. Against North Macedonia in November he played with Grealish, Saka and Foden behind him. In both games he didn't play well either.

It's not the players he's playing with but the system. There is in inability to adapt from Southgate in his tactics and also an inability from Ollie to adapt his own game, although he clearly isn't a target man and never will be. Linking up with Eze and Palmer should have been delight for him, both fantastic players, but the chemistry was just not there once again.   

7 hours ago, RichW said:

Just don’t think the system Southgate plays suits Watkins unfortunately. Don’t think his made a case for himself based off his last couple of games for England.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t make the 26 though that would benefit Villa. Either way if Kane is fit whoever goes is going to get very limited minutes. 

Toney didn't come on and won't start on Friday so I think he's most at risk. He missed over half the season and then scored 4 goals in 17 games so shouldn't have even made the provisional squad in my book.

I think Watkins will probably still go but it will be because he's had such a good club season and not on his England form. Konsa looks much more at home for England IMO.

• Like 1

England struggled, Palmer and Eze are great players but they have an eye for goal when their main focus should be creating chances. Even when Kane came on his best chance, other than the fumbled goal, was a long range effort. The selflessness of Greaslish made a big difference to our play...England have players who are greedy,  they ignore chance creation in order to shoot.

England to play a way that suits his style. Also he seems to only play in weakened experimental sides. Southgate has what he needs to not pick him (which is what he was looking for he needs excuse to cut him). He can say his form dropped off just at the end of the season and didn't impress in his last 2 England games. 

• Like 1

Ollie has to forget how he plays under Emery when playing for England.

He needs to play like he did under Smith if he want to get more involved.

Ollie is a very good player.

The problem with England is that Southgate just sends 11 people out, and expects players to figure it out on the pitch. 
Emery sends out a team with a plan for every player, to maximise the opportunity to score goals. Ollie has high standards and Southgate isn't up to them.

Kane is custom built in Southgate's plans, and he is clearly a better player than Ollie.
If Emery was in charge of England, with all the talent at his disposal, he would get Scott Hogan scoring goals. 

Also - a lot of media noise here. 
Loads of people going on about Palmer, who I thought was poor - got plenty of the ball as Ollie was being marked by 3 people, but regularly misplaced passes and couldn't play the final pass. He was also, apparently,  "cold" and "clinical" from the spot - it wasn't a good penalty and the keeper, having gone the right way, should have saved it. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Yeah. 27 goals and a ton of assists shows just how easy it is to mark this chancer out of the game. 

Ffs, are we on the SHA forum?

I can't believe our player of the season is getting this rubbish on a Villa thread.

Agreed.

I don't know what it is, but Watkins has continuously got shit on here. Despite being brilliant for us for most of his time here, and having arguably the best season any striker we've had in the premier league era 

It's absolutely crazy

Posted (edited)

The least he plays under a manager like Southgate, the better. 

The more rested he is this summer, the better. 

He's a huge part of why, next season, we are in the Champions League. 

At International level he's having to fit into a system that on the whole is not playing to his strengths. Also, we all know Southgate has about as much tactical nous as an egg, he has one way of playing and it's why we haven't won a major tournament and IMO never will under him. 

Hopefully once the waistcoat clears off, the FA will stop being a bunch of fannies and appoint a more dynamic manager who will get us playing exciting, free flowing football and utilising the abundance of attacking talent they have at their disposal. 

If I was Ollie, I'd not lose any sleep over anything England related until the current manager has gone. 

Edited by UpTheVilla26
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Southgate needs to do what Sarina Weigman did at the women's Euro's. She sat everyone down before the tournament began and told everyone their role. I see you as a main starter, I see you as an impact sub, I see you starting against team x, I see you not starting against team y, I see you in a more defensive position against these because you are the better defender, I see x playing your position against this team because she is better going forward. 

So everyone knew their role, not playing for their place in every game. Maybe even playing with a bit more confidence.

Edited by colhint
Bleeding predictive text

An attacking player struggling in a Southgate team, what a shock. 

He thrives in a highly detailed system that is partially designed around him and his strengths. It must be quite a frustrating adjustment trying to get something going for England. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'd say most made a better case for themselves than Ollie, yes. In fact I'd be hard pressed to think of any player who made less of a case. 

It doesn't make me happy saying it, but it is what it is. 

3 against one that's what he was up against all night. There was zero space for him but yes everybody will say he's not good enough.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

3 against one that's what he was up against all night. There was zero space for him but yes everybody will say he's not good enough.

This. 

A manager with a clue, clocks after 10mins that Watkins has 3 players marking him and adjusts. You put someone closer to him, or someone to play off one of their other CBs. 

Instead, he was happy that we spent the entire half probing them. Such poor management. 

After the season he's had, if he isn't given a place in the final squad, it's borderline ridiculous. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

This. 

A manager with a clue, clocks after 10mins that Watkins has 3 players marking him and adjusts. You put someone closer to him, or someone to play off one of their other CBs. 

Instead, he was happy that we spent the entire half probing them. Such poor management. 

After the season he's had, if he isn't given a place in the final squad, it's borderline ridiculous. 

What does a season matter when he doesn't fit in the system that manager plays? It's a useless spot to a player that will make no difference to the team. Toney at least will get pens. I can totally see  him being left out while at the same time being one of the best players England has. It's not mutually exclusive. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â