Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

I see BBC Sports "gossip" column, claims today that Arsenal's sporting director Edu, has held talks with Ollie's agent about a move and that Chelsea (of course they are! :rolleyes:) are also interested. Their source is only "Football Transfers" but until he actually puts pen to paper, this is going to be an ongoing issue for the club and it increasingly looks like his agent wants to keep his options open. 

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/66927083

1 hour ago, John said:

I see BBC Sports "gossip" column, claims today that Arsenal's sporting director Edu, has held talks with Ollie's agent about a move and that Chelsea (of course they are! :rolleyes:) are also interested. Their source is only "Football Transfers" but until he actually puts pen to paper, this is going to be an ongoing issue for the club and it increasingly looks like his agent wants to keep his options open. 

BBC gossip uses the worst "sources". They've embraced internet click bait nonsense with that page

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

Can't see it when they have Jesus. Also Eddie Nketiah is better than him according to Southgate 😉

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

What would people say is a realistic valuation of Ollie now and by next summer?

£60-70m perhaps or more?

I would have said £70-80M in the summer with 2 years left. Probably do well to get £40M if it runs down to the final year.

Edited by villan95
  • Thanks 1

People will say Talksport aren't reliable.

However I'm sure people were saying the same when they rubbished them claiming Grealish was off to City etc. months early.

This doesn't mean they are always right by any stretch obviously.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

I was curious to see how Ollie stacks up stats-wise against other PL strikers so I did a bit of a comparison on Fbref (how I choose to spend my time is my business!). I was kind of surprised how well he compares in a lot of ways to players like Toney, Jesus etc. and he's actually one of the most accurate shot-takers in the league (over 50 percent of shots on target which is very good). The two areas where I see him lacking vs. other strikers is shots per 90 (although this is also dictated by how many chances the team as a whole is creating etc.) and maybe most significantly 'goals per shots on target' where he is a fair bit lower than most other top strikers. Which suggests, as we already know, that he often doesn't strike the ball confidently in those big chance situations. Personally I'd like to see him shoot earlier more often. One of the goals he got in pre-season (I think it was against Sevilla) he blasted it soon as he got on the ball and caught the keeper out before he was set. 

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

However I'm sure people were saying the same when they rubbished them claiming Grealish was off to City etc. months early.

Sure they can be reliable by stating the obvious.

They are tap in merchants like Romano

Edited by Pinebro

Im not overly worried until the summer. when we get past 2 years remaining however the ball starts to fall in the players court a lot more. Theres big clubs out there without a decent striker who will pay £40=50 for him in the summer.

5 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I was curious to see how Ollie stacks up stats-wise against other PL strikers so I did a bit of a comparison on Fbref (how I choose to spend my time is my business!). I was kind of surprised how well he compares in a lot of ways to players like Toney, Jesus etc. and he's actually one of the most accurate shot-takers in the league (over 50 percent of shots on target which is very good). The two areas where I see him lacking vs. other strikers is shots per 90 (although this is also dictated by how many chances the team as a whole is creating etc.) and maybe most significantly 'goals per shots on target' where he is a fair bit lower than most other top strikers. Which suggests, as we already know, that he often doesn't strike the ball confidently in those big chance situations. Personally I'd like to see him shoot earlier more often. One of the goals he got in pre-season (I think it was against Sevilla) he blasted it soon as he got on the ball and caught the keeper out before he was set. 

Translation: He drives a lot of shots straight at the keeper, which counts as on target.

He finally developed a chip that we saw a few times last year. I'd like to see it again this year. He's just not someone who can hit with both accuracy and power at once.

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In the last few months they understood we signed Oxlade Chamberlain and were bidding for Maguire and Kalvin Phillips

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, duke313 said:

Any Watkins links in the media will be his agent putting pressure on Villa.

It's removing pressure from Ollie in the eyes of fans. Any hold ups here will absolutely be "his side" and not Villa, they'd love him to sign up.

His agents should be trying to get the best deal for him, but that doesn't necessarily mean solely financially.

It's definitely best for all parties if he stays. It's a very good fit. Ollie will not fair well being in and out at other clubs IMO.

Hopefully a deal is close. If it's not done soon, we will move to trying to sell him.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â