Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

What sort of made up stat is that? Is this some weirdo that thinks Gabby is our all time top scorer

It annoys me enough when they say things like "5th top scorer in Premier League history" - like football before that didn't matter.  But to actually use the words "all time"..... ************.

13 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He wouldn't start over Isak. Not sure about Nicolas Jackson either. After that, you're probably right.

But, there's a big gap between his level of passing and Kane's passing, and also between his finishing and Haaland's finishing, so they're odd comparisons.

Not to say he doesn't give us an awful lot, but passing and finishing aren't strengths of his.

He is much better than Nicholas Jackson, if Unai thought different then he would have bid for him when Bournemouth had a bid acceptes

33 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He is much better than Nicholas Jackson, if Unai thought different then he would have bid for him when Bournemouth had a bid acceptes

Fair enough. I need to see more of him tbf but knew he was highly thought of.

17 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I thought he was a 7.5/10, decent performance. I think his passing is actually slowly improving, but there were still a few of them that were atrociously weighted.

His touch has obviously improved, so now we’re knocking a forward for the weight of his passing :D 

51 minutes ago, bobzy said:

His touch has obviously improved, so now we’re knocking a forward for the weight of his passing :D 

Yes. Why on earth wouldn't we when some of our intricate moves break down because of it, resulting in wasted dangerous situations?

23 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Only side he wouldn't immediately go into the first XI is City.

Has some competition at Arsenal and Chelsea but would easily start for every other prem team.

Villa fans really deluding themselves just because he's not got Kane-level passing or Haaland-level finishing.

It wasn't an heavy touch, he purposely hit it like that on purpose to invite the keeper out to try and claim it, Watkins then use his pace to beat the keeper to it and thenplay a brilliant ball for Cash. I actuall think the finish from Cash was much harder than it looks as well, not easy to the get accuracy when flying in like that, some players would throw themselves at it and hope for the best, but if you watch Cash you could see he was very deliberate with the way he met it to make sure he guided it into the net.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tom13 said:

And when I say badly weighted, I mean that because of that they went to an opposition player.

I think it's because he lacks in the general ball control ability, it shows now and then when he takes a heavy touch or makes badly weighted passes. If he had the ball control of for example Luiz or Buendia he could be world class. I think it's really impressive they way he has improved, and when he plays to his strengths the lack in ball control doesn't show that much, but as you said a couple of moves broke down because of it. It's the difference of him being absolute top class.

I really hope he can improve it and if it is someone who can help him do that it's Emery!  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, useless said:

It wasn't an heavy touch, he purposely hit it like that on purpose to invite the keeper out to try and claim it, Watkins then use his pace to beat the keeper to it and thenplay a brilliant ball for Cash. I actuall think the finish from Cash was much harder than it looks as well, not easy to the get accuracy when flying in like that, some players would throw themselves at it and hope for the best, but if you watch Cash you could see he was very deliberate with the way he met it to make sure he guided it into the net.

You really can't say for sure that touch was on purpose, or not on purpose. First time watching it live, it definitely looked accidental, but tbf on replays I wasn't so sure.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I've been critical of Ollie on occasion but he still brings so much to the team even when he's not scoring. Should be back in England squad this week given Wilson not starting and Toney banned.

Probably call up someone like Nketiah instead knowing Southgate 🙄

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Doesn't surprise me one bit that he wants to,  and I don't doubt that he'd be able to. He'd probably sustain his performance levels too.

But thankfully Unai will know what is best for him.  I very much doubt that includes playing every minute, and I'll honestly be quite surprised if he even gets more than a half against Hibs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Doesn't surprise me one bit that he wants to,  and I don't doubt that he'd be able to. He'd probably sustain his performance levels too.

But thankfully Unai will know what is best for him.  I very much doubt that includes playing every minute, and I'll honestly be quite surprised if he even gets more than a half against Hibs.

To be hon I won’t play him at all against Hibs unless we needed. Just start Duran and make one of the kids features for some of the game.

• Like 1

On 28/08/2023 at 18:16, Tom13 said:

He wouldn't start over Isak. Not sure about Nicolas Jackson either. After that, you're probably right.

Isak has a much higher ceiling (and is arguably already a better player) but I don’t think he could lead the line like Watkins in a system like ours yet (Newcastle set up very differently even when he’s the central striker). He’s class though and I think will go on to be a very special player. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Isak has a much higher ceiling (and is arguably already a better player) but I don’t think he could lead the line like Watkins in a system like ours yet (Newcastle set up very differently even when he’s the central striker). He’s class though and I think will go on to be a very special player. 

Isak and Watkins together would be deadly. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â