Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

As good as he’s been, we could upgrade on him with a more reliable, clinical, intelligent/natural and technically skilled CF (wouldn’t come cheap though!). It’s a difficult one and a interesting debate to have, I don’t see where else he really fits into the side (and what other position he would be good enough in) and benching him may disrupt him all over again (bringing in Ings never really worked/helped).

He could/should improve even further under Unai and is such a likeable player but  do we need someone more potent/dangerous/clinical spearheading our attack? I’m leaning toward yes…

But… it’s always great and pleasing to see Ollie doing well…

Or do we just need another option? Cover/rotational player? Not an approach I’m keen on if we genuinely want to improve and achieve more success… the best approach is to relegate some of our starters to the bench by bringing in superior performers…

Tricky.

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

As good as he’s been, we could upgrade on him with a more reliable, clinical, intelligent/natural and technically skilled CF (wouldn’t come cheap though!). It’s a difficult one and a interesting debate to have, I don’t see where else he really fits into the side (and what other position he would be good enough in) and benching him may disrupt him all over again (bringing in Ings never really worked/helped).

He could/should improve even further under Unai and is such a likeable player but  do we need someone more potent/dangerous/clinical spearheading our attack? I’m leaning toward yes…

But… it’s always great and pleasing to see Ollie doing well…

Or do we just need another option? Cover/rotational player? Not an approach I’m keen on if we genuinely want to improve and achieve more success… the best approach is to relegate some of our starters to the bench by bringing in superior performers…

Tricky.

I make you right - Ollie could/should have killed off the game on Sunday.

But he is likeable, willing and improving under Unai - so it’s a conundrum as it’s hard to predict exactly what his ceiling is.

Personally I think we could upgrade, but it would not be cheap that’s for sure and I would be happy for Ollie to stick around - however I very much doubt this would suit him or the club tbh.

It is a tricky scenario you are right and if Unai decides to go again with Ollie - who are we to argue?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

I make you right - Ollie could/should have killed off the game on Sunday.

But he is likeable, willing and improving under Unai - so it’s a conundrum as it’s hard to predict exactly what his ceiling is.

Personally I think we could upgrade, but it would not be cheap that’s for sure and I would be happy for Ollie to stick around - however I very much doubt this would suit him or the club tbh.

It is a tricky scenario you are right and if Unai decides to go again with Ollie - who are we to argue?

This is probably the most likely case. I think many teams struggle with this conundrum as the market for a CF who can do it all is pretty much limited to 2-4 players. Anything else is a rightful gamble (looking at the the 120m+ Liverpool spent on two CF's). I won't regurgitate the list but aside from Kane and Haaland, no one in the top half is that comfortable with their CF.

I'm of the mindset to bring on Archer and get a good evaluation from him as well as maybe someone multi-positional over the summer that can cover in addition to Duran. There'll be 4 competitions so should find plenty of playing time for center forwards.

We need 10+ goals in the other attacker positions to take the burden off Ollie.

• Like 1

Yes I think he needs more support in terms of goals from other attacking positions. It's good that Ramsey and Luiz are chipping in as well. Its the position of Bailey or Buendia we need a bigger return 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes I think he needs more support in terms of goals from other attacking positions. It's good that Ramsey and Luiz are chipping in as well. Its the position of Bailey or Buendia we need a bigger return 

Exactly this.

Edit - we get a total of 15 from Ollie another 12-15 from the SS. The midfield 4 chip in with 16/17 total and the defence with about 5/6 that’s a healthy 50 + goals scored which I think is a reasonable target for us to score. Combine that with our solid defence and we can have a GD of around 15-20. 

Edited by Sulberto21

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Blimey… I doubt he’ll be scoring dressed like that

IMG_3785.jpeg

His shirt looks like my tea towel from Poundland.  I have no style even when I was in my younger days so maybe tea towel patterns are the new thing.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Nothing new for Ollie  but nice to see Percy talking about it

Emery won't sell Watkins unless Watkins wants to leave. Makes no sense to sell the only striker we have that we know we can rely on. If Watkins leaves this summer it will be because of Watkins.

However if we sign a striker that proves he is as least as good, then we can consider shifting him.

The smart moves is a shiny new contract for Watkins, and a striker brought into compete with Watkins. Then we can consider cashing in on Ollie come the winter, or more likely summer window next year (so long as new striker is an improvement).

I think Ollies new deal is really important, might have slipped under the radar, with all the incoming news.

I think we take him for granted a tad......thay are not easy to find.

I also think his return will improve, if we sign a dynamic wide man.

• Like 2

On 12/06/2023 at 16:58, MaVilla said:

There's a lot of very good football in there.

You forget what he's capable of with some of things he does that suggest his technical ability isn't quite where it should be. It clearly is, it just isn't there quite consistently enough. 

Such a streaky player but hopefully his continued evolution under Emery makes those bad streaks much shorter and more rare. 

New contract please Ollie. 

• Like 1

Solid, reliable premier league striker. Watching england yday, i was thinking that it was quite unlucky that he wasnt picked as part of the team for the current fixtures. Think he will go on to have his best season yet for us this campaign, the squad will go up another level and he will raise his game in turn. He has a good attitude and it is becoming clearer to me that he is working on finishing

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â