Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He would have scored that penalty a few weeks ago when he was on fire. We do need competition in that position but someone who is versatile enough to play  as a 10 or wide right or left as well. Not another Danny Ings type

Yep. As much as I love him, and I guess you could say the same about any player, he does seem a totally different player when he’s confident. 

You don’t notice it in his attitude, he still puts himself about and always wants the ball etc, but I think it effects his thought process. Like if he misses he’s so desperate to make amends that he can make the wrong decisions, whereas when he playing confidently he’s much more composed. 

Not sure he needs upgrading but he needs support imo. He will, like any strikers go through purple patches and difficult patches. As a team we need options when he is below par. Not a slight on him, it happens to everyone.

33 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Not sure he needs upgrading but he needs support imo. He will, like any strikers go through purple patches and difficult patches. As a team we need options when he is below par. Not a slight on him, it happens to everyone.

Was about to post exactly that - needs to be a reliable, unfussy deputy that's  prepared to rotate. A latter day Tommy Johnson if you like. 

Yes, Ollie has provided him with the reason that he was so desperately searching for, to not pick him. Feel sorry for the lad, obviously Gate didn't like the pressure he was being put him under during the Newcastle win: :rolleyes:Gareth Southgate reaction spotted as Ollie Watkins 'terrorises' Newcastle  to spark England calls | talkSPORT

1 hour ago, John said:

Yes, Ollie has provided him with the reason that he was so desperately searching for, to not pick him. Feel sorry for the lad, obviously Gate didn't like the pressure he was being put him under during the Newcastle win: :rolleyes:Gareth Southgate reaction spotted as Ollie Watkins 'terrorises' Newcastle  to spark England calls | talkSPORT

It's pretty ironic that the Newcastle game is also the last game Ollie has scored in.

Can't really blame Southgate, it was probably a tossup between Watkins and Wilson, and Wilson just edged it.

feel sorry for him but it shows how hard it is to break into this team. Last time when in form he was competing with Toney who was outscoring him. This time hes competing with Wilson whos had an unbelievable April.

Unfortunately England are blessed with forward talent and Watkin is somewhat inconsistent.

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

It's pretty ironic that the Newcastle game is also the last game Ollie has scored in.

Can't really blame Southgate, it was probably a tossup between Watkins and Wilson, and Wilson just edged it.

I see your point, but I've grown accustomed to blaming him and he hasn't done much to persuade me, against that stance recently.  ;)

2 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

feel sorry for him but it shows how hard it is to break into this team. Last time when in form he was competing with Toney who was outscoring him. This time hes competing with Wilson whos had an unbelievable April.

Unfortunately England are blessed with forward talent and Watkin is somewhat inconsistent.

Yes I agree - Ollie has improved and will continue to do so under Emery. He is however still not a gifted footballer and does have a ceiling.

I didn’t get carried away during his recent goal scoring exploits, equally I am not concerned by his current form.

Ollie is not elite and is unlikely to be so - If Unai can squeeze another 20% out of him, I think we will all take that.

Â