Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

9 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

The iron man continues!

Remarkably resilient. Has only missed a handful of matches since 2016

Shame that why he doesn’t miss many matches he does miss a lot of goal chances…😁

11 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Yeah if he did, he probably wouldn't be playing for us at that point!

Mine was just a joke but taking your point seriously, does that mean the best we get is a non-scoring striker? I don’t believe that.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Mine was just a joke but taking your point seriously, does that mean the best we get is a non-scoring striker? I don’t believe that.

No I mean that if we had the whole package, then the sharks would be circling. Until such a point that we are in Europe and competing - the Benteke's of the world - probably our most complete forward in the last 10-15 years - will be moved on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

Thought he was brilliant today. Was causing endless hassle for their centre backs and then got a goal to cap it off.

Just a standard Ollie performance to be honest - but he got the goal this time too.  He's a very good lone striker IMO.

I thought Watkins was great against Southampton.

Worked tirelessly (as usual) but with some good hold-up play to bring those around him into the game.

His finish was good and unlucky not to score with another header earlier in the game.

Maybe a bit of a confidence boost for him too with Emery's comments in the week.

• Like 1

I do think it will be interesting to see whether Emery can get Ollie to play just behind another striker.  If so then I think it might resolve a number of issues:

- We don't lose any of the work rate and pressing that Ollie does

- If Ollie isn't our "main man" then I think he's under less pressure to score and that might just take a weight off his shoulders

- He'll be more able to play facing the goal - so hopefully will get more shots away

- With opposition CBs having someone else to worry about he might be able to find more space

I could see him scoring more goals in such a scenario.  It didn't work with Ings very often but I think with the way that Emery seems to want us to play, there are more options to accommodate this and it feels more likely that two "strikers" would be likely to work.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â