Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

Players can be criticised anytime. If someone scores a hat-trick then gets sent off for something stupid, he would be criticised and rightly so.

I would have preferred Watkins to have two nice finishes than two assists just because we know what he can do outside of scoring but we don't create a hatful of chances, especially in tight games and we need those chances put away. Against a terrible Everton side we can get away with it.

But just because he got two assists and was better than usual, doesnt mean he is immune to criticism. 

That kind of proves my point, you wouldn't criticize a player after scoring a hat-trick only. Therefor criticism does have it's place and time. 

There are reasons to worry about Watkins and he has received criticism for past performances and rightly so.  Today, where he missed one good chance but assists two goals, seems like a really strange time to be criticizing him. Saying that you would rather that he scored two, than assisted two, for me, is literally some of the most ridiculous stupid criticism ever, absolutely ridiculous reason to have a go at him for. (especially when you go on to say we create few chances, shouldn't you be praising him for creating two massive chances then, when no one else does so?) 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Saying that you would rather that he scored two, than assisted two, for me, is literally some of the most ridiculous stupid criticism ever, absolutely ridiculous reason to have a go at him for.

That's wasn't criticism. I just said I would have, given the option, preferred two goals to come from him finishing nicely as it would have given him confidence etc. Purely a hypothetical scenario for boding well in the future.

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

That's wasn't criticism. I just said I would have, given the option, preferred two goals to come from him finishing nicely as it would have given him confidence etc. Purely a hypothetical scenario for boding well in the future.

Fair enough

I just feel like we (me included) as a fan base go waaaay over the top with criticism of individuals when we don't like, or rate, them (like probably every fan base does). But we have to be able to recognize when they occasionally do well and I feel like when you have assisted 2 goals in one game, it's unfair to be going in on him for missing that one chance (which admittedly he should have scored). There are reasons to be critical of Watkins, today is just not one of those days, of course just my opinion.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Enda said:

This is silly. We’d have to play with ten men would we?

Say we played Bailey or Archer instead of him, are you saying there’s zero chance they’d have made scored themselves? This is silly.

Ok then , your right, the player that you would replace him with would score more and create more, who the fucx is he....or her ? 

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Ok then , your right, the player that you would replace him with would score more and create more, who the fucx is he....or her ? 

Never said there’s someone better. I said his finishing is a let down, something I think 90% of posters would agree with.

People hopping on for that comment. C’est la vie.

1 minute ago, Enda said:

Never said there’s someone better. I said his finishing is a let down, something I think 90% of posters would agree with.

People hopping on for that comment. C’est la vie.

How about his assists, are they a let down, his constant running, so depressing. If you get a player that does it all then your very, very lucky and inevitably they leave. All this moaning about Watkins , not just from you , is so destructive when we have no other player that's even close to him in his general play. 

If posters wanna moan about a player then go on the Coutinho thread and moan about him playing over Beundia. Anyway I'm off to catch up with you on the drink front and get pissed, we actually won a game .😉

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Interesting, Shearer noticing Watkins flaws on MotD. Showed he never seems to be in the right position for scoring, kinda playing as a winger, when there is no need.

Gave him a lot of praise too. His interchange with buendia for the second goal i thought was brilliant. 

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We need a better version of him.

The athleticism, pressing, workrate etc is brilliant.

However the footballing intelligence, some of the decision making and finishing are 😢

This.

He's not a finisher, and never will be, but you don't need to be Henry to be a decent goalscorer. He has the basic tools to be a good scorer - pace, engine, decent strength.

But he doesn't think like a striker, he doesn't consistently make runs he should do, he doesn't get into positions you want your striker to get into, he makes bad decisions too often, and his touch is all over the shop, we lose so many chances because he can't control the ball effectively

We are at catch-22 with him. We need his work rate and presence, but a team wanting to challenge in the top half needs a better striker than he is.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

I was at the game today.

His running and pressing is fine.

His finishing is atrocious. Surely we can't continue with him in the line up, it's just crazy to be carrying someone like this.

But we're not carrying him 

He got 2 assists and with how we played he's key to the line up, archer and Ings aren't chasing down the aimless long balls

If we played better football with lots of intricate passing in and around the box then I'd agree but we don't, until we shake the element of kick and rush from our game then Ollie is suited to how we play

• Like 2

I’ve been a big critic of Watkins of late but for me he was a benefit to the team yesterday.  

Two assists and it seemed like the first time in ages he was winning headers and getting in there.  

Negative side his first touch and his finishing is poor.  His positioning as a striker was off as usual but overall even without the two assists he earned his place today imo.  

The two assists obviously elevated that so imo was a good day at the office for Ollie.  

I’m not convinced by him and think we need another striker but if he keeps this up game after game my view will change especially if we are playing with two up top and the other is a goal scorer.

So he has the same amount of assists in one game as he did all of last season and people are  still finding problem. 

He missed a couple of good chances yesterday, but he made the 2 goals that won us the the game, I’d rather have 10 players with 5 goals a season rather than 1 with 20, spread the goals through the team.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, useless said:

Just read this on twitter that In the twelve games that Ings and Watkins have started we've won six of those and drawn two, and averaged 1.66 points a game, spread over a 38 game season that would be 63 points.

And in those twelve games that they've both started, Watkins has five goals and two assists, and Ings has three goals and two assists.

Seems this idea that we're not very good when they start together is a bit of a myth, in fact we're much better when we start with them both than when we start with one of them.

I think it’s partly because Gerrard’s alternative formation with two 10s is so bad.

But yes Watkins doesn’t get enough credit for how well he drifts wide and creates space when we play with two strikers. He has plenty of flaws, but he is a much more effective player than he gets credit for sometimes on here.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â