Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

This should probably be his prime season. Or at least the first prime season of his best years. 

He needs to really get some confidence. Take fewer touches, get the ball out his feet, and hit it.

If he doesn't start doing this, and doesnt accept that doing this will mean he misses more than he scored, then he's not going to even get back to his previous best scoring level, let alone improve on it.

I'm concerned. Even if his finishing has improved on the training ground (we don't know that it has), he needs to have the confidence to do what he's doing there on the pitch.  Pre season suggests he still lacks there.

Ings should start the season on form, but doing so is going to set Ollie back further. Can we afford to do this with our potentially most valuable asset?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Of course there are better strikers out there (just as there are better players than VIlla's in every position).

What is annoying is when people demand we sign a 25 goal striker, or at least a 20 goal striker. If we're talking about the Prem they hardly exist anymore. Goals are shared around the team these days.

Exactly. This idea that we need a 20 goal a season striker is just ludicrous. The notion that we’d need to spend £60-£80m on getting someone better is also far fetched. 

We need a striker who can score 10 goals from open play next season and who can control the football properly and bring others into play. Are you telling me there isn’t a striker in the world that can do that who would cost less than £60m?

Might even be Archer. 

Watkins form is abysmal and has been for a while. He deserves to be dropped and to win his place back on merit. I hope he has a good season regardless.

• Like 2

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Exactly. This idea that we need a 20 goal a season striker is just ludicrous. The notion that we’d need to spend £60-£80m on getting someone better is also far fetched. 

We need a striker who can score 10 goals from open play next season and who can control the football properly and bring others into play. Are you telling me there isn’t a striker in the world that can do that who would cost less than £60m?

Might even be Archer. 

Watkins form is abysmal and has been for a while. He deserves to be dropped and to win his place back on merit. I hope he has a good season regardless.

I think 20 goal contributions is not an unreasonable target (goals / assists).  There are plenty of players who got close to or exceeded that last season.  Yes some of them were midfielders or even defenders.  The trouble is that Ollie is so bad at bringing others into play that to get 20 goal contributions he is going to need to score 17 or 18.

• Haha 1

On 02/08/2022 at 00:28, ciggiesnbeer said:

I just see Ollies overall game has diminished. Maybe I am wrong stat wise but it sure feels like his pressing is less effective.  When watching games I dont see Ollie  in the box or on the end of a cross or sprinting into space or closing defenders down as much as he used to.

Finishing is still a problem but he has other issues as well.

Maybe because we don’t press high so much, but drop into shape earlier?

A one man press isn’t much use, the team has to go

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Might even be Archer. 

If we start any of the 3 strikers we have in every game then I expect each of them would score 10 goals from open play (Note: I am not saying starting all 3 would mean 10 goals each 😁)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, macandally said:

watch the German ladies.....they have it sussed.

10 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Wow, could you sound any more enthusiastic there Ollie?

Is it harsh...but he's seems a bit half soaked, when I hear him talk.

not exactly a sharp cookie.

12 hours ago, macandally said:

This  ⬆️ , we seem to be dropping and trying to block passing lanes whilst setting traps more than hunting the ball now 

15 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

There was a few interviews like this when Gerrard first came in. It was weird. Almost PR managed.

Exactly the same phrasing, we've got this and that different from before, clear instructions etc...this then before going out and playing like they've never seen a football. Quite interesting.

Â