Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Players as good as Jack cost £100m.

Gerrard needs to figure it out without £100m players. Just like Dean Smith apparently had to.

If Jacks name was Osman Omfwefe and he played for Bordeux he'd probably cost half of that or less.

I think it's widely accepted that Jack isn't actually a " 100 million pound FOOTBALL player "

Obviously being English, the " star " quality and how valuable he was to us all influenced his price.

As a matter of fact, you could probably switch his price with Haaland and get closer to a proper evaluation.

I've totally gone off topic haven't I?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

From all outward appearances, it looks like a lot of Ollie’s current problems are in his head. No question about his athleticism, general footballing skills, and his ability to score when the circumstances are right. But it looks like he is overthinking it all. Takes too many touches so as to try to get into the perfect position to score, often runs into less advantageous positions rather than just shoot, and dwells on missed chances too much and for too long.

Just shoot on sight, if you miss, clear your head and look for the next chance. It’s the only way to be a successful striker.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, TRO said:

Its really, really awkward for me.....because I like the player.

My heart is with him

my head says you are right and other than scoring, his game still needs to improve....his first touch is random and decision making is questionable....his positioning also leaves himself a lot to do. maybe a more predatory view from him, would help.

I think the main consideration, we have to make is......where are we taking these players, like Ollie (who we bought from a lower club at the time) with our expectations? ( the club and us).....maybe they have met their ceiling.

As I said this season is key. If he doesnt up his game then Gerrard's patience wont last. I don t see Ings as being a viable replacement because he has lost that bit of pace. I'm suprised we havent signed another striker to be honest. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Apparently Olly had shooting/finishing coaching during the summer.It hasent done any good ?!

It cant be taught i'm afraid, you're born with it or you aren't
If it could be taught we all be 20 goal a season PL scorers. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, messi11 said:

It cant be taught i'm afraid, you're born with it or you aren't
If it could be taught we all be 20 goal a season PL scorers. 

It is clearly not all down to natural ability, hard work usually makes the difference. 

Henry had the pace and power but had to work obsessively on his finishing. 

You can also see how Sterling improved from coaching. 

Ollie has to put in the same work. 

On 24/07/2022 at 08:58, TRO said:

There are strikers that have gone to so many clubs, Like Defoe and Crouch and still score goals....what systems suit them?

You adapt....thats what good front men do.

Ollie has to adapt.

Of course Ollie’s PL goalscoring record is significantly better than both of those ;)

(I do agree good players adapt!)

I don't know if this says more about Villa or Watkins...

But Watkins has played for Villa for 2 season and is currently our 21st highest goalscorer of all time with 27 goals. 

If he scores 10 more goals this season, he'll be Villa's 13th highest goalscorer in Villa history!  And he'll have done that in 3 seasons. 

It's very strange, did Villa not score many goals over the years or no striker stayed with Villa for very long.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Villastine said:

It is clearly not all down to natural ability, hard work usually makes the difference. 

Henry had the pace and power but had to work obsessively on his finishing. 

You can also see how Sterling improved from coaching. 

Ollie has to put in the same work. 

Ollie is 26. 27 this year.

Henry and Sterling were internationals at 18 - 20 and came through exceptional academies.

Watkins is a product of his upbringing. He's done incredible to get to this level but that lack of elite coaching at a young age really shows.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

But Watkins has played for Villa for 2 season and is currently our 21st highest goalscorer of all time with 27 goals. 

If he scores 10 more goals this season, he'll be Villa's 13th highest goalscorer in Villa history!  And he'll have done that in 3 seasons. 

It's very strange, did Villa not score many goals over the years or no striker stayed with Villa for very long.

The problem is there are always bigger clubs, you get a good player and the bigger clubs circle like vultures! Like us we took Watkins from Brentford, we were the bigger club, Brentford got a fee as did Exeter. If we had a 20+ a season goal scorer you could guarantee in 2 seasons he would be off to one of the scum 6 (7 if sky get their way!) 

Exhibit A - Benteke, the grass is not always greener.... 

12 hours ago, ender4 said:

i think it says more about how half soaked the clubs hierarchy were for long periods of time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ender4 said:

El Ghazi scored 10 in that season with less starts, we were scoring for fun before Grealish got injured. The whole team has changed, and we didn’t have a striker for to long as you mentioned. Actually the issue is about us rather than the other way, for Gabby to be our highest goalscorer. We had Bent who was good but unfortunate with arrival of Benteke. Then Benteke himself who got injured and then left. 

If you go back more you’ll find as you mentioned we didn’t have strikers for so long. But even El Ghazi could’ve had a stranger number. I don’t think it says a lot about Watkins ability. The only thing we could all agree is his hard working. But a lot of games we miss the talent rather the other way round. 

On 24/07/2022 at 17:21, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If Jacks name was Osman Omfwefe and he played for Bordeux he'd probably cost half of that or less.

I think it's widely accepted that Jack isn't actually a " 100 million pound FOOTBALL player "

Obviously being English, the " star " quality and how valuable he was to us all influenced his price.

As a matter of fact, you could probably switch his price with Haaland and get closer to a proper evaluation.

I've totally gone off topic haven't I?

You're wrong because the way Jack was playing, consistently, made him worth that much.

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

You're wrong because the way Jack was playing, consistently, made him worth that much.

People used to say he’s worth that much to us because without him we’d go down.  

He’s never a 100m player. Not many players are! 

Now back on topic, Ollie will score double figures this season. 

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s never a 100m player. Not many players are! 

They shouldn't be, but if a club is willing to pay it, they are.

And it's not as if it was some mug who paid it, it was Pep!

Â