Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

15 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Agreed. I would be surprised if Suarez didn't join Villa in summer tbh. Just makes so much sense. It's a free transfer, he has a wealth of experience, there are 5 subs. We need another top quality option up front.

Watkins and Ings partnership is looking good. Having the option for Suarez in with those two is very exciting. Archer getting some game time too before another loan in January. 

Yeah 5 subs will make a massive difference next season.  Players who might have went on loan will probably stay around the first team now, and will benefit players like Sanson who should see more minutes even if it's from the bench.

3 minutes ago, The Rosk said:

I've been asked by two separate people today about my thoughts on Watkins to West Ham.  Is this just mindless speculation or is there some truth to it?

no idea.

I guess if we're aiming to put Coutinho and Buendia in the same team and keeping INgs then Ollie is the most sellable asset for a high price.  Id be hesitant to move him on as I do love him a little bit.

The Guardian have reported that he's a key target for West Ham, but I don't think there's any chance whatsoever that we will be selling him, least of all to them, as we won't want to be seen as losing our best players to a club we should be looking to overtake, we don't need the money, and if we did we've got other players we could sell before we thought about selling Watkins, I think he will probobaly sign a new contract soon.

1 minute ago, useless said:

We'd be more likely to sell Ings than Watkins.

I reckon we'd get £20m at best for Ings, whereas we could easily command £50m for Watkins.  Depends on where the funds are and how much we're looking to spend elsewhere - whilst we're looking to move on the likes of AEG/Trez/Keinan etc, I can't see us getting tons of money for them.  Can't be spending net £100m+ every window.

If we can make a profit on him then I'm fine with him leaving. Like the guy a lot but he doesn't have great technique in all honesty. Much prefer Ings (appreciate they play differently) as he's a far better finisher in my opinion. 

I don’t think he’s going anywhere, I rate Ings more but regardless we need 2 strikers, I doubt we will be able to find a suitable replacement and we have other areas to strengthen,  I swear there’s some kind of mental block that you can’t have one or the other, its the same in the Buendia/ Coutinho thread.  We’re building a squad not a starting 11.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

McGinn

Ollie yes, McGinn has signed two since promotion. He's hardly made himself irreplaceable and highly valuable to the first team in recent months. 

1 minute ago, Dale said:

Ollie yes, McGinn has signed two since promotion. He's hardly made himself irreplaceable and highly valuable to the first team in recent months. 

He signed an extension in Dec 2020 just after we stayed up. It's reportedly 70k per week and ends in 2025. 

Watkins new deal will extend his transfer fee amortisation. We pay 6m per year in amortisation and pay him 3.9m salary. So that's -9.9m per year he currently costs. if we bump him to 100k and 2 year extension he then costs 3.6m per year in amortisation and 5.2m in salary so is -8.8m per year total. 

I assume both McGinn and Watkins will be offered 100k+ per week + bonuses or something along those lines. 

1 hour ago, useless said:

We'd be more likely to sell Ings than Watkins.

No way, definitely sell Watkins before Ings.  Ings is better suited to the system, Watkins will generate a higher fee because of his age and it will provide funds to provide a striker that Gerrard may want.

19 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I think 60 mill+ then I'd be tempted, but I wouldn't want us to sell him yet. I think he still has a lot to offer even though he can be frustrating at times, he's definitely one of the players I'd look to keep. 

Depends on whether Gerrard has other strikers in mind.  If does then sell, if he doesn’t then keep.  I think most of the players are options for sale if Gerrard has other players in mind.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Depends on whether Gerrard has other strikers in mind.  If does then sell, if he doesn’t then keep.  I think most of the players are options for sale if Gerrard has other players in mind.

Definitely, my problem is outside of the top strikers in the world, It's hard to find a decent striker without much risk. Jonathan David/Osimhen are a bit risky due to them playing outside the prem(It's not that much of a factor for me personally) and the latter is going to cost A LOT. I'm not even that convinced by Osimhen if I'm totally honest I think he's alright but a bit overhyped. Nunez is likely to go to Utd, Jesus is probably off to Arsenal and Adeyemi is off to Dortmund. 

I'm sure there's strikers out there, that's what scouting is for but I just think the position in general is not what it used to be.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â