Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

I love Ollie and want him to make it. So much to like about his energy and commitment but if he could just be a little more clinical...

You look at the top sides, they only need one or two chances, where we need about 10.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

One game doesn’t make a season

He plays for a bottom half team that have all been off colour for a while , I’m not going to say he’s Kanes replacement but he’s in the right place for his level

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Adman said:

I love Ollie and want him to make it. So much to like about his energy and commitment but if he could just be a little more clinical...

You look at the top sides, they only need one or two chances, where we need about 10.

Is that all you think he lacks? Being clinical? Genuinely asking.

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Let's ignore everything he did in the build up 

The "pass" to him was pure hit and hope nonsense, turned water in to wine but yeah he's shit 

Let’s not ignore fact he should have wrapped game up a couple of times second half.

yes he made a decent tackle in build up to Ings goal but let’s not kid ourselves over him.

shot probably wide if not deflected and almost certainly saved if not.

not good enough to challenge for Europe next year

Was thinking today that the sports person I equate him with the most is Anthony Joshua. A natural athlete who's smart and has a great work ethic, but lacks that natural talent the very best need. We could do a lot worse than him. 

46 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

So you're happy with his all round game - touch and passing/intelligence?

If he could be more clinical then I would be very happy.  I get the criticism though

2 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

I think he is capable of being very good or fading away. I am undecided on him, he could be the next Jamie Vardy or the next Andrew Johnson.

Absolutely zero chance of him being the next Vardy. Vardy was a really talented player with a terrible lifestyle who only sorted it out in later life, hence being a late bloomer.

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Scored one and caused one today, both through his own work effort 

Of course its nothing but negativity on here 

This place is a proper **** cesspool at times, no wonder half out players are lacking in confidence and look half arsed 

It’s the same at the ground where I sit. I’ve never known a player who has generally served us as well as Watkins has to take so much stick from fans. I don’t really get it to be honest.

He’s a young promising striker who is likely to hit double figures in both of his premier league seasons yet people are calling for Kienan Davis to start ahead of him. His work rate is generally exceptional so I’m not sure what he does that rubs people up the wrong way to be honest.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mark_1989 said:

Let’s not ignore fact he should have wrapped game up a couple of times second half.

yes he made a decent tackle in build up to Ings goal but let’s not kid ourselves over him.

shot probably wide if not deflected and almost certainly saved if not.

not good enough to challenge for Europe next year

Should he have wrapped the game up a couple of times? Had a couple of breakaways but there were far clearer chances for others.

Ings chance from his 1-2 with Watkins, Buendia’s chance from just outside the box and Ramsey’s one on one (albeit the rebound eventually went in) were all far clearer opportunities. I’d also add in the poor pull back from Ramsey when he got to the byline inside the box as a clearer chance than anything that Watkins missed.

It seems to me that Watkins attracts far more criticism than others no matter what happens in a game.

2 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

It’s the same at the ground where I sit. I’ve never known a player who has generally served us as well as Watkins has to take so much stick from fans. I don’t really get it to be honest.

He’s a young promising striker who is likely to hit double figures in both of his premier league seasons yet people are calling for Kienan Davis to start ahead of him. His work rate is generally exceptional so I’m not sure what he does that rubs people up the wrong way to be honest.

He's not the £60m CL striker who is guaranteed to score 30 goals a season and win us the league who is dying to join Aston Villa of only we sold Watkins first 

So we should sell Watkins to Arsenal (a CL team...) and buy this superstar 

Or like you say play Keinan Davies 

I'm interested to see what we do in the summer and who we buy / sell but I think we should definitely keep Ollie, people might be disappointed when we actually don't do anything upfront in the summer... Watkins, Ings, archer and Davies should be good enough for a top 10 push if we sort out the midfield and the shape of the team, then the next year we can look to see who that next level striker is

Watkins is our level, that's the honest truth imo, he will be until we are a top 10 team 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I've found at Villa Park. Like Wesley recently. If you don't make the ball "stick" then regardless of work rate goal return you're going to get it from the crowd.

Just now, villa4europe said:

He's not the £60m CL striker who is guaranteed to score 30 goals a season and win us the league who is dying to join Aston Villa of only we sold Watkins first 

So we should sell Watkins to Arsenal (a CL team...) and buy this superstar 

Or like you say play Keinan Davies 

I'm interested to see what we do in the summer and who we buy / sell but I think we should definitely keep Ollie, people might be disappointed when we actually don't do anything upfront in the summer... Watkins, Ings, archer and Davies should be good enough for a top 10 push if we sort out the midfield and the shape of the team, then the next year we can look to see who that next level striker is

Watkins is our level, that's the honest truth imo, he will be until we are a top 10 team 

I agree with most of this but would also say that Watkins has the potential to improve as we improve. He got 14 goals in a team that played much more to his strengths last season and had much more creativity just for Grealish’s presence in the team.

Reading on here it’s as if Watkins is regularly missing chance after chance but his xG is roughly one goal above what he’s scored. It’s why the argument “he only scored goals because of Grealish” is so stupid. Striker scores more goals when given more chances shouldn’t be that much of a surprise to anybody.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I've found at Villa Park. Like Wesley recently. If you don't make the ball "stick" then regardless of work rate goal return you're going to get it from the crowd.

That was true with Darren Bent under mcleish, make it stick... He's our only player in their half, his team mates are 40 yards away from him... Make it stick and do what exactly? 

Watkins goal yesterday I don't think fully appreciate just how bad a "pass" that was to him, there's so little he can do with that and yet he scored and still people moan 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I mean he’s hardly comparable to Wesley but seems to get more stick than him (at least where I’m sat in the ground). His inability to make the ball “stick” isn’t that surprising when he’s quite often having to run 40 yards across the pitch to get to wherever the latest punt upfield is landing and then has no team mate within 30 yards of him.

He didn’t struggle to make the ball stick from the hit and hope pass that led to his goal. I really struggle to see how he’s the player that’s taking so much criticism when you look at his performances over two years and his commitment to the cause. 

• Like 1

Â