Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Just now, nick76 said:

Just don’t get what’s happened to him.

For me, it's very simple.

All of our attacking strengths (breaking with the ball wide, getting down the flanks and moving the ball into the box) have been completely removed to play a very central attacking midfield and utilise our wing backs as width who will pump the ball from much deeper.  Watkins was very good breaking with other players (still is, to be fair) and finding space in the box.  We very rarely create these sort of chances anymore.  We've actually created a system to get the worst out of our striker :D 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

Please please get rid of this guy. Not going to take us to where we aim to be

And if we don’t sell him his price will go down.

Hope the board and manager can see this and sell him as soon as possible.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

For me, it's very simple.

All of our attacking strengths (breaking with the ball wide, getting down the flanks and moving the ball into the box) have been completely removed to play a very central attacking midfield and utilise our wing backs as width who will pump the ball from much deeper.  Watkins was very good breaking with other players (still is, to be fair) and finding space in the box.  We very rarely create these sort of chances anymore.  We've actually created a system to get the worst out of our striker :D 

Ok why don’t we easily start Ings if he’s not up to the system? 
Add to that the fact that without Grealish he wasn’t doing good as well last season.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

What, I'm genuinely surprised at the reactions here. I thought he did well for once actually. Was a handful for Soyuncu. It's the people around him that let him down.

I thought he had a decent enough game when compared with his general performance level this season, but really today highlighted the good and the bad with him. He will work hard and get himself in great positions, but he's just miles off it in terms of the technical ability which is required for the PL. As such, most those chances will be squandered and come to nothing.

Hes a likeable footballer, but also an incredibly frustrating one too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Ok why don’t we easily start Ings if he’s not up to the system? 
Add to that the fact that without Grealish he wasn’t doing good as well last season.

Sounds like one for the manager, no?

39 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

I thought he had a decent enough game when compared with his general performance level this season, but really today highlighted the good and the bad with him. He will work hard and get himself in great positions, but he's just miles off it in terms of the technical ability which is required for the PL. As such, most those chances will be squandered and come to nothing.

No chances get created for him - this is the problem. He has to create half-chances for himself. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

No chances get created for him - this is the problem. He has to create half-chances for himself. 

It's a fair point. I think he works very well up front for a team playing counter attacking football, could well be another who doesn't really suit the role he's being asked to play

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

When he does have chances created for him he’s either offside, hits keeper, hits the post or loses the ball. We just need a better attacker. 

Edited by Spoony
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

When he does have chances created for him he’s either offside, hits keeper, hits the post or loses the ball. We just need a better attacker. 

We need a different type of attacker if we’re going to play in this manner. Someone looking to play on the defenders’ shoulder rather than dropping deep and holding up the ball.

Of course, we also then need a midfield who will get up the pitch. 

He is a very strong runner who gets into some good positions, but at no time do I ever think anything good will come of it. 

He has some solid attributes. For example, there aren’t many strikers I’d prefer in this division when it comes to chasing long balls down the line. He make a nuisance of himself and is incredibly powerful in his stride. He also has the knack of being in the right place at the right time. He positions himself well as a striker. 

Outside of that, he’s really average, if not poor in most regards. His first touch is poor, his finishing is very average and his passing/ability to bring others into play just isn’t up to standard - which is why he probably prefers to play up front on his own. 

He’s an odd one. I don’t think he’s a bad player but we’re going to have to try and improve on him. To be honest, I wouldn’t be averse to selling both him and Ings in the Summer if the right bids come in. But this isn’t FM, so we can’t just sell everyone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He is a very strong runner who gets into some good positions, but at no time do I ever think anything good will come of it. 

He has some solid attributes. For example, there aren’t many strikers I’d prefer in this division when it comes to chasing long balls down the line. He make a nuisance of himself and is incredibly powerful in his stride. He also has the knack of being in the right place at the right time. He positions himself well as a striker. 

Outside of that, he’s really average, if not poor in most regards. His first touch is poor, his finishing is very average and his passing/ability to bring others into play just isn’t up to standard - which is why he probably prefers to play up front on his own. 

He’s an odd one. I don’t think he’s a bad player but we’re going to have to try and improve on him. To be honest, I wouldn’t be averse to selling both him and Ings in the Summer if the right bids come in. But this isn’t FM, so we can’t just sell everyone.

I think the complete opposite of the bit in bold.  Certainly fair on his first touch (often very heavy rather than cushioned) and his finishing, which definitely needs work, but the way he brings others into play is actually one of his strong points.  He's always got his head up receiving the balls in wide areas and is always looking for small bits of link up play with midfielders on the edge of the box.  Even his runs off the ball are smart and bring others into play (even the break with Bailey where Bailey took too long and the wrong option IMO).

But we don't play in a way to get the best out of him.  Our midfield isn't high enough up and breaking with Watkins, they're sat much deeper and trying to provide from a distance for him to hold it up.

Edit:  Just to demonstrate on the latter point, I think it was against Leeds where Ramsey scored as he, Coutinho and Watkins broke and Watkins made a run across the defence which created a load of space for Ramsey to exploit.  We haven't done things like that for a while, really.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â