Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Maybe he needs more competition for his place. He knows hes going to be first choice striker every week. Ings has been a big let down with his 5 goals this season. Too comfortable here

32 minutes ago, andym said:

Technically he's pretty poor, even when scoring, a lot of his shots are not hit cleanly.

He also plays with the blinkers on, very poor awareness of whats going on around him.

His exceptional work rate had made up for that, although that has dropped this season.

Yeah that's a very accurate assessment.  He's still started regularly under Gerrard but get the feeling he misses DS arm round the shoulder style of management. Certainly on performances this season no way should he be starting week in week out next year, should be more rotation/squad option unless we get a stupid bid come in.

He is better suited to a high tempo, direct attacking style. He, like others, doesn’t suit our style of play at the moment but is still a constant in the starting 11. Bizarre.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AV82 said:

He is better suited to a high tempo, direct attacking style. He, like others, doesn’t suit our style of play at the moment but is still a constant in the starting 11. Bizarre.

High tempo, your joking aren't you? He is never ready for a pass after a bit of skill from coutinho.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

High tempo, your joking aren't you? He is never ready for a pass after a bit of skill from coutinho.

Over the top, direct play into space. It’s no shock Watkins looked more comfortable last season.

3 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Over the top, direct play into space. It’s no shock Watkins looked more comfortable last season.

He was having it on a plate last season from Grealish. Sometimes you have to work harder. 

I've seen none of his hold up play recently, an he is rarely in the right position. He was a pest for defenders, now he is hardly a worry for anyone. 

Watkins is Agbonlahor with a work ethic.  He runs a lot and has pace/stamina but his finishing and footballing IQ leave much to be desired.  Last season's goal tally was a fluke.  Should move him on this summer and get what we can for him back.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Watkins is Agbonlahor with a work ethic.  He runs a lot and has pace/stamina but his finishing and footballing IQ leave much to be desired.  Last season's goal tally was a fluke.  Should move him on this summer and get what we can for him back.  

He definitely doesn't have pace. I've never seen a striker look like he's running so hard to move to little.

25 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He definitely doesn't have pace. I've never seen a striker look like he's running so hard to move to little.

There’s some truth in this. I think he’s fairly quick when he gets going, but he’s not explosive and no quicker than most defenders over the first 3-4 yards. 

Say what you like about Gabby, but that boy when he was 23 was lightning quick. That’s real pace. 

Anyway, I genuinely don’t see what Watkins brings that Keinan Davis wouldn’t. I’d rather have both Archer and Davis in the side at the minute. Genuinely. 

• Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

On 09/04/2022 at 23:08, duke313 said:

I think it’s obvious now he benefited massively linking up with Grealish last season, same as Targett. He looks a shadow of the player of last season.

How does his work rate collapse though. Its not like we gave him a payrise and a new contract 

It doesn't make sense unless maybe he has some personal issues that football isnt a main priority

I think Watkins is more suited to counter attacking where there’s space to run into and doesn’t have the movement or first touch to get a shot in off when being relied upon as a fox in the box as such.

Tottenham allowed us to play onto them, dropping deep and Ollie couldn’t manufacture the necessary space in and around the box and when he did, needed too many touches to get a shot away.

look at their goals and it was one touch and shot away! 

I really like him and there’s a player in there but for a certain style of play.

I have no doubt that we’ll listen to offers for him in the Summer. I can’t see us selling for less than what we paid but if someone offers us close to £40m, I think he’ll be moved on. 

Same goes for Ings. If we can get our money back on him, that would be a result in my eyes. The problem with Ings is wages. I think I read he’s on 120k a week here so we may be stuck with him considering he’s no spring chicken either. I don’t think Ings is a bad player but he was a daft signing and one that wasn’t in keeping with our strategy at all. An odd move from all involved. 

I was of the opinion we needed two central midfielders and a centre half in the summer but you can probably add a striker to that list now. I think Gerrard will be fed up of Ings and Watkins as a collective and will want better. The form of both was a major reason as to why Smith lost his job too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AV82 said:

He's not a shit footballer but it's glaringly obvious that he's not suited to the way we are trying to play at the moment.

Could just be second season syndrome.  He was so good last season and linked up with Grealish perfectly.  

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â