Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

I thought was his best game of the season. Great goal but was more of a team player with Ings and was doing what he did last season again by being a nuisance

Im a Gerrard critic but apparently he sat down with Ings and Watkins before Brighton and apparently told them to grow up and its paying off

yes he sat down and said he had no interest in rotating them but this bit just sounds like you've decided to add a bit of drama for the sake of it. unless you're ITK?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

He's proven time and time again that he's capable of it. I think we as fans lose sight of how difficult football at this level is.

Literally every single player in this league, even at teams like Norwich and Watford, are brilliant players. They wouldn't be PL otherwise. But when compared to each other, they can look absolute pants because they're all operating at such a high level.

In conclusion, Ollie is not and never was crap. He just wasn't quite on it.

True.

I think the panic and frustration, usually sets in, when poor form, coincides with a poor run of results for us, and worry that we are heading in the wrong direction.

If he was in a run of poor form, but we were winning regardless, I think people would have been more patient and forgiving.

Similar to McGinn, who does my bloody head in for a run of 4 - 5 games, then every now and then, turns into the Scottish Steven Gerrard in his prime. Lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

Is that for real?

I suspect the talk was more tactical/motivational than ‘grow up’ but he did say he had a sit down with them both about how they could work better as a partnership. Since which time we have scored 6 in 2 games…

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I suspect the talk was more tactical/motivational than ‘grow up’ but he did say he had a sit down with them both about how they could work better as a partnership. Since which time we have scored 6 in 2 games…

6vuvxTh.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised of there was a hint of 'grow up' in there.

Probably put in a way that focused on and emphasised professionalism and the fact that SG was sitting them down to tell them he sees them both as starters together if they can show his faith justified.

All the success of recent aside, we were not at our best and the Ings Watkins duo was raising doubts, and I'm not sure that was purely among fans.

In a new setup I think Watkins in particular may have had a slight mental approach of needing to prove himself superior in order to keep his starting spot. Ings to a lesser degree if at all, but frustration was certainly evident on field when things weren't happening like they are at the moment.

Admittedly this is for the most part pure guess work and the little insight I have is based on my observations and nothing more.

Without wanting to make it a soap opera drama I think SG may well have said pull your heads in and learn to work together, and we've got you both in mind for our system and tactics for the here and now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomav84 said:

yes he sat down and said he had no interest in rotating them but this bit just sounds like you've decided to add a bit of drama for the sake of it. unless you're ITK?

I am Gerrard 😉

Its obvious that was the issue as it seemed like Watkins was sulking. Noticeable in the last 2 games that they are trying to link up more and now we are benefitting

28 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Thought Watkins was much more like his old self yesterday - competitive, creating chances and scoring.

More of the same please Ollie!

Yep he bullied the centre back all game even in the air. Think it was Bednarek

• Like 1

I’ve been his biggest critic this season but he would have had two assists as well as his goal had Coutinho not missed two great chances. I really hope he has turned a corner and makes me look a right lemon for criticising him. 

27 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Just trying to think who the other top English strikers are as that sounds an impressive stat but is it?

Outside of Kane, Vardy and Ollie

Tammy doesn’t count because he’s overseas but has 19 total league goals for part player at Chelsea and now full at Roma, in 49 combined league appearances to Ollie’s 21 in 60 appearances.  Then there is discussion on minutes, small sub appearances, playing out wide and also strength of team played for.

Calvert-Lewin,  19 league goals in 41 appearances 

Danny Ings, 17 league goals in 49 appearances

Then you have others like Bamford and co.  

I think this stat is fairly standard to be honest but framed very positively.  It would be interesting on goals per minute because appearances can be deceptive.  

We just don’t have the depth in quality English strikers really, we (Villa) just have two of the best ones around in Ollie and Danny.

Just as a comparison though, Mo Salah has 41 league goals in the same period!

Edited by nick76

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just trying to think who the other top English strikers are as that sounds an impressive stat but is it?

Tammy doesn’t count because he’s overseas but has 19 total league goals for part player at Chelsea and now full at Roma, in 49 combined league appearances to Ollie’s 21 in 60 appearances.  Then there is discussion on minutes, small sub appearances, playing out wide and also strength of team played for.

I think this stat is fairly standard to be honest but framed very positively.  It would be interesting on goals per minute because appearances can be deceptive.  

We just don’t have the depth in quality English strikers really, we (Villa) just have two of the best ones around in Ollie and Danny.

Maybe throw Callum Wilson into the mix as well. A good English goal scorer. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, nick76 said:

Agree with your post mate but don't compare with Salah who firstly has been the best in the world for 6 months now and plays for the second highest scoring team in Europe. Watkins would likely have 30+ goals in that team. 

Â