Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

51 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Was surprised to see how long it took Yorke to get to 20.

Yorke was in and out of the team and played a lot of games wide to begin with. 

He was only trusted to be the number one striker in 95/96 once Little had sold Saunders and Atkinson. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yorke was in and out of the team and played a lot of games wide to begin with. 

He was only trusted to be the number one striker in 95/96 once Little had sold Saunders and Atkinson. 

Yorke also was very young and a bit rough around the edges and took some time to get up to the level of playing as the main striker.

However, Watkins...just watched his goal again and what a good goal it was. Strong, quick to get there, take a lovely touch and a perfect finish. Top class!

Earlier in the match he nearly put Ings in with a lovely deft touch around the box, so you could see they were working for each other.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Sounds like he had a " stop being selfish for the greater good of the team " type talk with them?

I'm sure he probably individually bigged them up about their qualities and told them to sort it etc 

I actually don't hate the formation we played yesterday, it's the likes of Buendia I feel for though.

Hopefully we'll be adapting systems to different teams and ground to accommodate everybody.

• Like 2

Sources: Arsenal handed 'huge' boost in bid to sign Aston Villa star Ollie Watkins

Arsenal have been handed a “huge” boost in their bid to lure Ollie Watkins from Aston Villa this summer, Football Insider understands.

The England international, 26, is on the target list of attackers that Mikel Arteta’s team want to sign in the main transfer window.

A recruitment source has told Football Insider that Villa will listen to offers for Watkins as manager Steven Gerrard is not convinced he is the A-list striker he needs.

Watkins has been a mainstay of the Villa starting XI since signing from Brentford in the summer of 2020 for a fee of £28million plus £5m of add-ons.

Gerrard is an admirer of the versatile forward but accepts that the super-ambitious Midlands giants could have to cash in on him to get an even better front man.

That could open the door to Arsenal for what the source explained could be a “huge” summer move.

Clicky

A "recruitment source" Is this the new phrase to say I am making things up? 

• Haha 3

On 27/02/2022 at 19:07, May-Z said:

He scored goals out of nothing, on his own a lot of the time. 

Genuinely better than Lukaku at the time and probably would've gone further than him with a wiser move. 

Ollie did a good job of scoring from very little at the weekend...and in the last match against Brighton.

One of my favourite goals of all time.

I’m sure we drew that match?

He's got 13 games left, if he can get another 5 goals that'll be a decent enough return.

People forget he had 8 goals in his last 30 games of last season (he played 90 mins of all those games). So that's a goal every 0.266 per 90

This season he's got 6 goals in about 20 games (per 90). So that's 0.3 goals per 90. 

So he's been in this kind of form for the last 88% of his Villa career. This is him regular form. He is not now, nor will he ever be a goal scorer. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Clicky

A "recruitment source" Is this the new phrase to say I am making things up? 

He's perfect for the system Arsenal play. They have goals from likes of Smith Rowe, Saka etc.. they need a hard working lone CF for their system who can chip in with double digit goals a season too. 

We need a CF to finish off the chances created by our 10s and from our wide with the full backs. Watkins isn't this. While Ings isn't it either as he's better as a second striker. 

CDM and CF are the two biggest holes we have in our squad at present for the system we want to play. 

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

He's perfect for the system Arsenal play. They have goals from likes of Smith Rowe, Saka etc.. they need a hard working lone CF for their system who can chip in with double digit goals a season too. 

We need a CF to finish off the chances created by our 10s and from our wide with the full backs. Watkins isn't this. While Ings isn't it either as he's better as a second striker. 

CDM and CF are the two biggest holes we have in our squad at present for the system we want to play. 

I think ings is a excellent finisher its just he hasnt had a run to show it as a lone striker.

I like ollie but im not convinced he scores enough goals to get us to the top 6. If arsenal make a offer of 42m + i would consider selling

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think ings is a excellent finisher its just he hasnt had a run to show it as a lone striker.

I like ollie but im not convinced he scores enough goals to get us to the top 6. If arsenal make a offer of 42m + i would consider selling

Ings is going like the Bent signing except we actually removed his service 

This squad is very very capable of feeding Ings goals 

Ollie could well prosper, elsewhere with better service.

Ollie is clearly missing the hold up play of Jack grealish, Jack compensated us from having better midfielders, by staying on the ball, this gave Ollie time and space to work, to make timely runs.

Jack has now gone, and our midfielders are not good enough to stay on the ball and find him....hence his dip in form.

That then has a knock on effect and his form has dipped within himself.....I would not be surprised to see him return to form at another club, with a better midfield.

However, I would keep him and add the necessary midfielders in the summer, that can get the best out of him, by staying on the ball better and delivering good service.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think Ollie and Danny are far better players than we are getting from them.....and I think the issue lies further back.

What we want from both of them, could be be gotten, with better midfield play.

We need to be careful, we don't throw the baby out with the Bath water.

Ollie is clearly missing jacks ball retention and subsequent timely passes.....we need to find midfielders who can replicate that.

• Like 1

On 27/02/2022 at 12:01, icouldtelltheworld said:

Was going to say, pretty sure he got half of his first 20 goals for us in his first 3 or 4 games after joining!

yes and Gabby's goals came like corporation buses, followed by long dry spells.

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â