Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

11 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I’m sick to death of his same shit performances every week. Why is he deemed undroppable? 

Would happily sell in the summer if we received any reasonable offer. 

If we got 40 million for both him and McGinn we will be laughing 

Happily sell him in the summer.  Doesnt look anywhere near the palyer last year.

I said all summer get tammy in and was getting laughed at as ollie should never be dropped as he is so good.

He has been found out this season. His performance as a whole this season has been 3/10. Deserves to be benched this weekend. Ings deserves a start

8 hours ago, useless said:

I'm saying his overall performance today was better than any of Ings overall performaces. Ings is basically anonymous in terms of team play unless he's scoring goals, so if he's playing he has to get goals otherwise it's like playing with ten men and that's not a criticism of him it's just the kind of striker that he is, it's actually very good to have such a player available but most top teams won't start with such a player.

With Watkins I think it's got to the stage where people are waiting for him to do something that can be deemed as a negative so they can jump on it and overreact, exactly the same thing has happened with Mings in the past.

My major cricisim of him is that he needs to start scoring more goals, otherwise I can see us spending £70m on a best in class striker in the summer and his place coming under threat, not because of him being bad, but because we want to improve as much as possible, other favorites too might find their positions as first team players also under threat.

No chance we spend £70m on one player. 

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He was poor yesterday. Probably for the racism thread but my mate heard racism targeted at him yesterday. It was from the same word removed that was giving our players abuse for wasting time even though we had 10 men.  Idiot. 

Report it to the club, I’m sure they have a text number so you can remain anonymous. 

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He was poor yesterday. Probably for the racism thread but my mate heard racism targeted at him yesterday. It was from the same word removed that was giving our players abuse for wasting time even though we had 10 men.  Idiot. 

I hope he said something to someone about that - absolutely disgusting to hear. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I told a Steward and to keep an eye but we weren’t sure which bloke it was. They all seemed to have gone quiet after that.  It was right near end of game.

Good man. No place for people like that in modern society. 

1 hour ago, chappy said:

His body language did seem a bit off all night. I really like Ollie and want him to turn good again but it looks like a struggle for him at the moment.

He isn't working in the system. Gerrard relies on the interplay of quick passing between his front three and positional rotation between them too. Watkins hasn't got the footwork for that and isn't a good enough finisher. 

A 4 3 3 or a 4 2 3 1 with him leading the line is what he's best suited to. He doesn't fit our system and it's telling.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He isn't working in the system. Gerrard relies on the interplay of quick passing between his front three and positional rotation between them too. Watkins hasn't got the footwork for that and isn't a good enough finisher. 

A 4 3 3 or a 4 2 3 1 with him leading the line is what he's best suited to. He doesn't fit our system and it's telling.

An interesting take and probably an accurate one. His ball skills aren't great and it's showing at the moment. 
I really think he might leave this Summer. 

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Could Cameron Archer be a long term solution?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

An interesting take and probably an accurate one. His ball skills aren't great and it's showing at the moment. 
I really think he might leave this Summer. 

Watkins ran the channels a lot when he was lone CF and the wide players would cut in. So Watkins popping up on left when Jack cut in etc. Gerrard wants the full backs owning the wide spaces not the front three. Gerrard wants his front three in the central spaces and playing through with quick passing and interplay. This is impacting Watkins game in two ways, he is expected to be centrally more and not roam across the front line line he can and did last season. He's also expected to have quick one touch passing with the two 10s. 

Ings suits the system better, but if we drop Watkins we hit his sale value a lot. I personally feel Bailey off the bench to replace Watkins will be used to see how that works. 

10 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It might actually be worth experimenting by going striker-less for a few games, Ramsey has shown he has the composure to finish, so playing him up front might be interesting.

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Could Cameron Archer be a long term solution?

I was going to mention Archer in my last post. The way he moves off the ball and then gets into the box. He does look like he has the right attributes for it. He's too young and inexperienced to rely upon as our main CF though. 

I think this season is now done in terms of any prospect of getting into Europe. I would persevere with Watkins mainly over Ings to prop up his value. Sell him in summer (his style of play really suits Arteta's Arsenal) and then sell on Luiz too. 

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I told a Steward and to keep an eye but we weren’t sure which bloke it was. They all seemed to have gone quiet after that.  It was right near end of game.

Probably explains why he went straight down the tunnel. 

Â