Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, sne said:

This and with Buendia behind them would be glorious. I do have questions about if the remaining 2 CM's are strong enough to handle the defensive aspects thou. It's a bit top heavy.

The defensive stats for Ings, Watkins and Buendia are all pretty good (much better than AEG, Bertie and Barkley).  So I don't think that the midfield would be quite as exposed as it was last season.  But I would like to see at least one new CM come in to add a bit of steel to that department.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, allani said:

The defensive stats for Ings, Watkins and Buendia are all pretty good (much better than AEG, Bertie and Barkley).  So I don't think that the midfield would be quite as exposed as it was last season.  But I would like to see at least one new CM come in to add a bit of steel to that department.

a proper DM would round it off for me.

Then the second part of the pivot can be a competition between Sanson, McGinn & Luiz.

After that we just need a LW or CAM, depending on how we plan to set up.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, allani said:

Absolutely, totally agree. And those players mean we will be much better at keeping the ball higher up the pitch forcing our opponents to defend deeper and with more players. Hopefully. Been one of my main arguments going into this window that we'd bring these kind of players in.

Still, McGinn and Sanson are better offensively than defensively, Nakamba is limited and should not start and while I like Luiz and Luiz has good upsides and is very talented I don't think we have the players to form an ideal CM duo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Villa87 said:

Watkins

Bailey Ings Buendia

No way should Watkins be moved - he was amazing as striker last season and will be even better this season. 

Ings is joint top goal scorer (exc. pens) in the PL behind Kane (level with Salah).over the last two seasons.  I can easily see a front 3 of Watkins Ings and Bailey with the three of them being fairly fluid in their positioning.  But I think Ollie and Bailey coming in from slightly wider positions and Ings through the centre makes the most sense.  Ollie's heat map from last season already shows that he tends to drift left.  I don't actually think it will end up being that much different this season even if Ings is (supposedly) in the more central role.  I can see central defenders really struggling against us next season as it will be difficult to figure out who they should be picking up and all our "strikers" are quick enough to pounce on any space that they get given.  Such an exciting prospect.  I mean just imagine Ollie banging in 15 goals next season and being our third top goalscorer - that would be insane.  I actually think that even playing slightly outside Ings he'll be expecting to get over 20 goals if he stays injury free.  And if we have 2 or 3 players scoring goals for fun then they'll just drive each other on to score more - a friendly push for top scorer is a tantalising prospect (as long as they remember to pass the ball to each other when someone has a better chance).

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

a proper DM would round it off for me.

Then the second part of the pivot can be a competition between Sanson, McGinn & Luiz.

After that we just need a LW or CAM, depending on how we plan to set up.

Yep I would go along with that.  A starting defensive minded CM who likes a tackle but can make a pass would put us in a really strong position for this season.  The LW / CAM I think we can be a bit more experimental and be looking for someone coming off the bench (and hitting their prime in a couple of seasons).

I think we will start with Watkins Ings and Bailey up top and Emi B playing just behind them.  We have Bertie to come on down the right and think we will want a good option down the left so that we can keep Watkins and Ings fresh during the season and also give us the option of pushing the LIF and RIF positions wider into more LW / RW roles if Plan A isn't working or we think that a team is more vulnerable wide.

Will be so good to have quality options and subs who can really change the course of the match for us.  Not sure I can remember the last time we had that....

I think Dean Smith will use Watkins on the left of three strikers with plenty of interchanging. It's the system that he used so effectively at Brentford when Ollie played left of Maupay with I think it was Sawyers breaking with them. The season after that Smith joined Villa, Franks took over and Watkins played wide in a front three with Maupay and Benrahma and often interchanged with Said to attack by cutting in from the right more than the left. I watched most of their televised game as I loved watching Benrahma (I hoped we would sign him) and their attack was often scintillating. Watkins' last season with Brentford saw him move into the central striker role with Mbueno and Benrahma playing either side of him, but there was still a lot of interchanging going on between the three of them. It was great to watch.

Watkins, Ing's and Bailey will be a very effective attacking unit with Buendia tucked in behind orchestrating play and threading accurate early balls through to our potent front three. The speed of our play from back to front will be a lot quicker with Jack no longer our 'go to choice' making his mazy often angular possessional dribbles. I think 4-3-3 will be our main system this season.

• Like 1

Loved watching his finishing today in the training, always looks so sharp and in the right place. 

It was the first time I had seen him play live and I can't wait to watch him down at VP again. His energy and attitude is infectious

9 minutes ago, alexvilla4 said:

Loved watching his finishing today in the training, always looks so sharp and in the right place. 

It was the first time I had seen him play live and I can't wait to watch him down at VP again. His energy and attitude is infectious

Yeah he was on it today wasn't he. Looks very dangerous in front of goal! 

Impressed with Ash as well. Playing like he's still in his prime. 

17 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Did it look bad or did he just think 'better not risk that'?

Didn't look too bad but he instantly walked off the pitch holding his groin or thigh. Probably a precaution but wouldn't be surprised if he misses the opening game.

Edited by sne
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

When was the last time Villa had two England international strikers in the squad at the same time?

Exciting prospect for the upcoming season with the quality we will have feeding the pair of them!

Emile Heskey and Darren Bent?

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â