Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

I still think he's good. Maybe its me being biased because I want him to come good, but I do think he contributes to the team more than Samatta, Wesley or Davis did even in a match like this. Its his movement that i really enjoy seeing in a striker, something that I rarely if ever saw with Wesley or Samatta. 

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

guessing spur of the moment wanting to take it yourself. Jack was the one who got the penalty in the first place. I'm sure it's nothing.

It was Ollie’s fantastic run that created it to be fair,  honestly think Jack would have missed it, either way glad we have a good penalty taker in the squad now

Just now, gwi1890 said:

It was Ollie’s fantastic run that created it to be fair,  honestly think Jack would have missed it, either way glad we have a good penalty taker in the squad now

I agree, which I'm sure Jack realized as well.

31 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

What was the deal with Jack pushing him away when he came to collect the ball to take the penalty?

Too bad we couldn't see more of that, Grealish clearly took the ball to take it himself and Watkins followed after begging to take it and looked a bit annoyed by Jack's reaction. Then the camera showes something else and moments later Watkins stands at the penalty spot with Grealish and Trez walking away looking to have some kind of discussion. I'm sure it's nothing and I'm very glad Watkins got to take it and scored, but would have been interesting to see the whole event.

Grealish was fouled, but it was Watkins great run that made the goal so he deserved to take it.

50 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

He is not a target man. He is 5ft 11. We need to start utilising the players and get the ball to him in a way that makes sense, otherwise we'll be doing this forever no matter who is up front.

I think he is actually surprisingly good as taget man, against Liverpool he was immense, not that tall, but very strong and has a good leap. He is also a very intelligent player so it's not just that he gets first to the ball, he often does something good with it as well and has a thought with his flick ons etc.

Today he was up against Verstergaard, who is 1,97 meters and a monster, he did very well against Van Dijk, but I guess Vestergaard had one of his best games to date and was even tougher to come up against in the air today.

• Like 1

He's really feeding off scraps. We can't seem to put any kind of ball into him through the middle or out wide. 

Was a cross today, he was in a lot of space right between 2 defenders, would have had an easy header but the cross just went straight to the defender in front of him. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I still think he's good. Maybe its me being biased because I want him to come good, but I do think he contributes to the team more than Samatta, Wesley or Davis did even in a match like this. Its his movement that i really enjoy seeing in a striker, something that I rarely if ever saw with Wesley or Samatta. 

I'm concerned about him but he absolutely contributes more than Wesley or Samatta usually did. 

My guess is that Watkins is the designated penalty taker, but Grealish wanted to take it and Watkins refused to concede. Can't imagine Jack giving up the penalty chance otherwise.  Anyway, happy that Watkins took it and scored it. For his confidence, we need him regularly on the scoresheet.

35 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

One great game and then nothing. I hope Ollie is better than he currently looks like.

Yeah was expecting a lot more to be honest. It’s frustrating as we know he has the attributes to do well in the league in my opinion. Hopefully he can bag a couple vs Arsenal 

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Sorry but I think he's been largely poor. He's scored in one PL game and if it wasn't for that hat trick he's be slaughtered game after game. 

His workrate isn't what I expected and its something he needs to improve on for sure. 

58 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm concerned about him but he absolutely contributes more than Wesley or Samatta usually did. 

I think Wes still gets hit more than he deserves.  Both Watkins and Wes suffer the same that we don’t provide chances for our striker.  I think Wes contributed more than he’s credited with.  Just hope Watkins doesn’t suffer the same abuse Wes does/did with lack of supply.  Hopefully not because we are a better team and have more supply.  I think Wes will perform more within this team.

The problem is if everyone behind a striker plays shite there isn’t much said striker can do. It isn’t really a coincidence that when we have played well (like the closing moments of today) he scored goals. 

• Like 2

His goal return so far has been really good. We couldn’t have reasonably expected better. I have to say though that I don’t think he looks very good. I’d bizarrely have been happier with fewer goals but better all round performances!  Early days though so plenty of time to improve.

I’m not too sure what everyone is moaning about. Watkins has been decent so far in his first premier league season. He’s just not had a tonne of chances in the last three games. He still works hard and runs all game, he finds space regularly, can take a man on and can finish when the chances come his way. He’ll be fine I’ve got no doubt. There’s worse areas of our team than Watkins. 

He seems anonymous for large period which is worrying. The stats cloud his contribution in a way. 
In comparison to Keinan he seemed to have far more opportunities to score, but his finishing is awful. Watkins just seems to vanish. The crosses aren’t finding him and he’s not making things happen for himself either. 
This isn’t writing him off because he’s clearly a quality player. He and and his teammates just need to find a way to get the most out of his skill set.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â