Academy General Topic

smetrov

12 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Yeah signed for them for about 25 million or something silly like that

Bloody cracking young player. Probably loaned out for 4 years and never see an English pitch lol

48 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

So now Kellymans gone, Who is our best prospect?

Anthony Whitley. 3 year old from Shirley.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Haha 4

I'm not even sure Kellyman was our best prospect anyway, although he was certainly up there and the most valuable

But if we do think of him as being the best, then I think the next best is hard to say as there are so many good prospects, in Kellyman'a age group Kadan Young and Travis Patterson are both very good, Patterson is seriously underrated, very consistent player, I'm not sure if I've seen him have a bad game, and more often than not he's one of the best on the pitch, but his problem has been injuries

And then in the year below Jimoh-Aloba probably already on a similar level to Kellyman, Borland and Triston Rowe like Patterson incredibly consistent and often one of the best players on the pitch, Broggio and Lynch very good, Broggio actually came into the U18s before Borland or Jimoh, was just unlucky with a lenghty injury

Montaño and Khedr are both just seventeen but are U20 and U23 internationals, so presumably they must be decent, if one of our current academy players were playing that many ages up for their national team there would be a lot of hype around them

In terms of who would fetch most money it's probably Kadan Young, although as of yet he hasn't signed the contract extension that we usually offer to players after they turn eighteen, if and when that happens, it will increase his value, same for Wilson and Patterson, I've no idea of course if they're going to sign or not, but looking at past players I think it's normal for these contracts to not be signed until months after they've turned eighteen, I think Aaron Ramey might have actually been nineteen by the time he signed his second pro deal, but if any of them are going to sign on for longer, then now would probably be a good time to announce it, take away some of the disappointment of losing Kellyman
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, thejoker said:

The academy is certainly paying for itself right now.

Last 4 seasons we've made close to £200m from Academy sales (assuming the Kellyman and Bogarde deasl go through at reported values), or between £90m-£100m over the last 3 if you discount Grealish as a one off, which is crazy considering how shit we used to be at utilising our academy.

Who knew West Bromwich was such a gold mine

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

So now Kellymans gone, Who is our best prospect?

Jimoh-Aloba. There are some other good lads but he is the most likely to make it. Patterson is good but seems to have had a lot of injury problems, Borland is quality but the tidy type, hard to make it in centre mid.

• Thanks 1

Â