Academy General Topic

smetrov

That's all 4 of these announced now isn't it? 4 U17 internationals signed. Hopefully quite the talent pool in that age group now when added to our current starlets too!

Edit: 5 U17 internationals signed including Omar Khedr, though maybe he moves up to U18 before the others

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 2

Proctor, Katsukunya, Timson, McDowell, Fortes, Simpson, Patterson, Pavey, Broggio, Lynch, Wilson

Subs: Moreland, Edwards, Borland, Brannigan, Mulley

Wilson has just scored to put us 1-0 up

• Like 1

Finished 2-0, WIlson with both goals, Cole Brannigan assisted the second, top of the league for now, probably won't last as some of the better ones get moved up to the 21s but good start.

U16s also beat Southampton, 3-2, don't know the scorers, but Markie Meade assisted  all three goals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just a thought but in terms of the academy do we want Chukwuemeka to be a success at Chelsea or not? 
If he is successful then does that encourage our next great prospect to force a move to another of the sky 6 or does it encourage more prospects to sign for us as we can offer more than one pathway to success?

Conversely if he fails does that tell our best prospects stick with Villa (although Crowley’s failure at Arsenal didn’t seem to put off Carney) or does success on the pitch not really matter? Is the £20m transfer and associated financial benefits the goal that youngsters are aiming for?

1 hour ago, mallett said:

Just a thought but in terms of the academy do we want Chukwuemeka to be a success at Chelsea or not? 
If he is successful then does that encourage our next great prospect to force a move to another of the sky 6 or does it encourage more prospects to sign for us as we can offer more than one pathway to success?

Conversely if he fails does that tell our best prospects stick with Villa (although Crowley’s failure at Arsenal didn’t seem to put off Carney) or does success on the pitch not really matter? Is the £20m transfer and associated financial benefits the goal that youngsters are aiming for?

We are big enough to fight them off now for the most part. Elite academy . Of course some will be poached but thats standard in youth football. To get players interested in joining our academy they want ro see a pathway . We provide that pathway as we are getting our graduates premier league / high end championship transfers . A parent will want to see this rather than their child being kept around as a sub and then tumble down the leagues as they don't get the necessary experience.  

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

How far off is Wilson? Will next year see him around the first team?

I hope not. He will be 18 at the start of next season. He hasnt got many physical attributes that would give him the chance to thrive ar a young age. He is the definition of right place right time footballer . Just a natural goalscorer that will need time to develop physically 

19 hours ago, useless said:

I don't know score, will edit it in if one of the players posts it, but we beat Republic of Ireland U19s today, Ben Broggio got a couple of goals and an assist.

They won 4-0

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Previous young players have ended up at championship and below, now we are selling players to premier league clubs (albeit newly promoted), that alone suggests a step up in our youth academy. 

16 minutes ago, useless said:

We're not going to have youth players as proven as Aaron Ramsey, Archer, and Philogene, to sell every summer, and in some cases we will prefer to keep them, just because we've sold a few this year doesn't mean we're now going to do that with every single highly rated yougnster we have, I'm not even sure we wanted to sell Aaron and Jaden, was more a case of them insisting they wanted regular football and then a sale with buyback made more financial sense.

In future summers I can see us selling more squad players, something fans are going to have to get used to, they will be players that have done well for us, but it's what all the big clubs do, they don't sell their very best players typically, but they do sell very good players just for the fact that that's the only type of player that they have to sell when making room for new players, and we're going to get to that stage.

I don't see why we wouldn't keep selling academy players.  Once they hit that 20/21 age, if they haven't broken into the first team (or look like they will) they will be sold, with buy back clauses for an FFP boost like we've seen.

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I don't see why we wouldn't keep selling academy players.  Once they hit that 20/21 age, if they haven't broken into the first team (or look like they will) they will be sold, with buy back clauses for an FFP boost like we've seen.

Agreed. All of the elite academy players for us have broken through at a young age. If they're 20/21 and aren't regularly pushing for a place at the starting XI - then it's best to get max value for them.

We've been drawn with Leeds, Norwich, and Nottingham Forest in the Group stages of the U18 Premier League Cup

And Charlton, Norwich, and West Ham in the group stages of the U17 Premier League Cup

The U16 PL Cup usually mirrors the U18 version in the group stages, so presuming that's sitll the case this season then they too will play Leeds, Norwich, and Nottingham Forest.

Been away and slightly behind things, + some good points made above, but ultimately I'm disappointed.

Jacob Ramsey would've been sold under this regime. I understand the buy back thing, but a player growing in stature elsewhere before we essentially admit our hasty error in the first place doesn't feel right. With so many games to play this season, the kids could've run riot in the cups.

I don't respect the way Chelsea or Man City operate to achieve the enormous success the fans and board expect, so I've no desire for us to emulate them. There's more than one way to be successful.

5 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

I don't respect the way Chelsea or Man City operate to achieve the enormous success the fans and board expect, so I've no desire for us to emulate them. There's more than one way to be successful.

Im not sure there is, sadly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

Been away and slightly behind things, + some good points made above, but ultimately I'm disappointed.

Jacob Ramsey would've been sold under this regime. I understand the buy back thing, but a player growing in stature elsewhere before we essentially admit our hasty error in the first place doesn't feel right. With so many games to play this season, the kids could've run riot in the cups.

The one difference between then and now is we only previously had the option of loan or sale. Now we can sell with a buy back because of the recent success of the club. Only big clubs can offer buy backs because players don't agree to them if they are choosing to return to clubs in relegation battles. 

The way these deals are structured I see them as almost loan deals, just structured in a different way. When you send someone out on loan it's partly development, partly shop window. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

Yes, but he probably would have been bought back by this regime and it would have been beneficial to our FFP. The level we are at, very few academy players will make it and for as long as I can remember, we have basically given away players who have gone on to have good careers. We need to have an academy where players can see a pathway to a successful career, whether with us or someone else. There is no place for sentiment, and I don't think Monchi possesses it.

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â