The Global Far Right

maqroll

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The rising popularity of Farage and Reform is starting to make me feel depressed and concerned in equal measure. 

This is one of the things that annoys me about the Labour Party at the minute. The world really needs leaders on the left to challenge the narrative that Farage etc. are peddling. They can't be allowed to influence people without challenge in the way that they are. Hopefully, Labour being semi-competent in government will appease people enough that they don't turn to far-right populism, but I don't have much faith.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The rising popularity of Farage and Reform is starting to make me feel depressed and concerned in equal measure. 

Is their rising popularity or is it naturally racist Blues finding a new home? Not sure there are “more” people adopting their positioning if that makes sense.

Either way if he manages to meld the two into a new coalition it’s difficult to see a winning majority there. More likely they marginalise themselves for as many cycles as it takes for them to change course. 

• Like 1

What I got from the tv debate last night, was the two main parties scared to counter Farage’s simplistic arguments on race and immigration, but trying to sell a similar message about toughness. Then two ‘nationalist’ minor parties, oft derided on here, literally calling him out as a bigot and a snake oil salesman in denial that we need a level of immigration.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

What I got from the tv debate last night, was the two main parties scared to counter Farage’s simplistic arguments on race and immigration, but trying to sell a similar message about toughness. Then two ‘nationalist’ minor parties, oft derided on here, literally calling him out as a bigot and a snake oil salesman in denial that we need a level of immigration.

This is where leadership from the left comes in. Someone needs to pick a stance, a stance that provides a positive vision for the future rather than fuels hatred, and **** stick to it, challenging Farage's nonsense. The two main parties just buy into his rhetoric unconvincingly and end up flopping about in the middle saying nothing of note.

One day I hope Plaid Cymru takes off like the SNP did and I'll be able to hop over the border to live in an independent Wales.

Posted (edited)

It would just be so easy for either of the big parties to actually admit to some of the issues and try to fix them, rather than talking about boats and other idiocy. Farage can trot out all his big hits every time because it appears that both Labour and the Tories can't figure out how to make policy that isn't either Rwanda-style idiotic or struggling with admitting that there are massive issues with uncontrolled immigration as per the issues we're seeing in Sweden and that many European nations, including the EU-parliament is working hard at dealing with.

Look at Denmark, emulate, win.

Edited by magnkarl

The right wing parties across Europe were early adopters of social media and are getting messages of fear and worry out to a large number of young people.

For a lot of young people this is the only places they get their 'news', and dur to the algorithms they end up in echo chambers.

With this and things like covid, Ukraine, Israel etc there is a worrying number of young people who will be voted that way. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

The right wing parties across Europe were early adopters of social media and are getting messages of fear and worry out to a large number of young people.

For a lot of young people this is the only places they get their 'news', and dur to the algorithms they end up in echo chambers.

With this and things like covid, Ukraine, Israel etc there is a worrying number of young people who will be voted that way. 

Absolutely this. I keep seeing this complacent view (not least here on VT), that the hard right are all old people, soon to die off, and the young are liberal and progressive. It's a dangerously naive assumption. 

• Like 3

The idea the right will die off is nonsense, and the hard right is included in that. There will always be people seeking answers to hard times and difficult questions and a chunk will turn to the easy answers, and the hard right will give them that. They aren't going away.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Absolutely this. I keep seeing this complacent view (not least here on VT), that the hard right are all old people, soon to die off, and the young are liberal and progressive. It's a dangerously naive assumption. 

Do you really?

I don’t think that’s my experience. Hard right tend to be more the 30-50 year olds in my experience. 

The current resurgence is drawn from a few fronts. Classic domestic issues, most notably economic, living standards, failing services. And then internationally you have upheaval, and the world seems more dangerous. There are going to be people that turn to the hard line, easy answers in those situations. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

In a weird way, it's kinda both. The 'green wave' of voting about 5 year's ago was largely the youth vote. There is a very large left wing, environmental, social feeling among the youth. However, the youth are also very nieve about a lot of stuff and are naturally fearful right now with what the world has seen the last few year's. There's a growing concern that we're on the precipice of world war 3 or something similar and the youth are being let down by the media they are presented with. This is causing them to adopt more right wing ideologies as the 'sound bites' are saying this is what will protect them. The left needs to be more active in countering this on social media and pointing out the nonsense. 

In this discussion. is Russia considered global Far Right or Global Far Left ? I think I know what the answere ought be but what do others think?

13 hours ago, veloman said:

In this discussion. is Russia considered global Far Right or Global Far Left ? I think I know what the answere ought be but what do others think?

If it was globally any further right, it'd be off the map.spacer.png

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, veloman said:

Far Right and Far Left aren’t opposite ends of a scale

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Far Right and Far Left aren’t opposite ends of a scale

Yes they are. Sounds like you’re referring to horseshoe theory, which is pap masquerading as political science, propagated by centrists, who have historically propped up the far right, and the far right themselves. Fish hook theory is more widely accepted as political science. 

IMG_1642.jpeg

On 08/06/2024 at 13:24, Chindie said:

The current resurgence is drawn from a few fronts. Classic domestic issues, most notably economic, living standards, failing services. And then internationally you have upheaval, and the world seems more dangerous. There are going to be people that turn to the hard line, easy answers in those situations. 

Indeed and the death of mainstream media means that nobody is challenging those on the far right to justify their views. A lot of people don't watch current affairs shows on TV or read the papers. Unvetted Social media is their information source. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, numbersix said:

Yes they are. Sounds like you’re referring to horseshoe theory, which is pap masquerading as political science, propagated by centrists, who have historically propped up the far right, and the far right themselves. Fish hook theory is more widely accepted as political science. 

No, I'm not referring to Horseshoe Theory

And as for Fish Hook theory.... I reject the linear left / right nonsense anyway

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â