The Global Far Right

maqroll

22 hours ago, sidcow said:

I see there is rioting in Argentina as new laws are passed to reduce pensions, destroy unemployment rights and generally **** up the country which is still experiencing 300% + inflation. 

You can bet your bottom dollar that most who voted in the nutter stated that the other parties were all basically the same and they needed someone to shake up the system. The chainsaw impressed them. 

Argentina’s economy has been wildly dysfunctional for quite a long time now. It’s probably understandable that a lot of people have decided the only way out is with something radical to see any sort of change. The usual promises from either side have not had any effect up until now.

I see a few parallels with the U.K., people calling for a major shift either to the right with Reform or to the left when Starmer is called ‘too boring’ or ‘more of the same’.

The U.K. has been nowhere near as dysfunctional as Argentina either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Argentina’s economy has been wildly dysfunctional for quite a long time now. It’s probably understandable that a lot of people have decided the only way out is with something radical to see any sort of change. The usual promises from either side have not had any effect up until now.

I see a few parallels with the U.K., people calling for a major shift either to the right with Reform or to the left when Starmer is called ‘too boring’ or ‘more of the same’.

The U.K. has been nowhere near as dysfunctional as Argentina either.

I know they've had problems for a long while, but the guy with a chainsaw is never the answer. 

It's a sobering lesson for anyone thinking "**** it, how much worse could they be?" 

In general, I think the fight against neo-fascism and authoritarianism takes place in people's minds far too much at 36,000 feet looking down instead of at the local council and municipal and community level, where to my mind and in my experience the real battle lies -- and where I truly believe there are solid reasons for hope. I see a lot of good things happening locally, particularly when local communities essentially rebuff national rhetorics and tell them to keep their shite out of their neighbourhoods, etc. This is what gives me hope. I see it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

In general, I think the fight against neo-fascism and authoritarianism takes place in people's minds far too much at 36,000 feet looking down instead of at the local council and municipal and community level, where to my mind and in my experience the real battle lies -- and where I truly believe there are solid reasons for hope. I see a lot of good things happening locally, particularly when local communities essentially rebuff national rhetorics and tell them to keep their shite out of their neighbourhoods, etc. This is what gives me hope. I see it.

This. 100% this 🍻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Mbappe using his press conference to urge the young in France to vote saying "extremists are at the gates of power". 

Strong stuff and bloody good for him. 

Brilliant. Apparently the France squad have something lined up for their game later too. Imagine the backlash if this happened in England

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

Brilliant. Apparently the France squad have something lined up for their game later too. Imagine the backlash if this happened in England

Probably not as bad as the backlash they get in France. They don’t moan like brits, they riot 

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

Mbappe using his press conference to urge the young in France to vote saying "extremists are at the gates of power". 

Is he on about the Right or Left , or maybe both? 

20 hours ago, sidcow said:

Happy to work for the Qatar regime though. I guess his morals don’t extend as far as his own bank account. 

• Like 1

I should start by clarifying that I do not follow politics a lot and have absolutely zero knowledge of Le Pen. I do though find the word far-right to be interesting. Out of pure interest, when is someone far-right vs right? What exactly is it that makes peoples associate Le Pen with the far right? 

I usually from my limited knowledge would associate people like Hitler with the far right. I should clarify again, that I have literally zero knowledge of Le Pen and politics in general.

• Like 1

On 17/06/2024 at 11:17, sidcow said:

Thats a bit harsh, Macron isn't that bad. 

11 hours ago, sne said:

Same with LeBron James, rightly calling out racial injustices in the US while happily taking money from Saudi and China and even speaking up for the latter.

I cringe when I hear 'celebs' kowtow to China because they may have mentioned Taiwan or something like that. John Cena springs to mind. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Have to wonder if banning speech may only contribute to its attractiveness to pinhead neofascists. I've often wondered about this strategy in Europe.

From the small stage of a pub in a wooded town of eastern Germany, the right-wing ideologue Björn Höcke regaled a crowd of followers late last year with the tale of his imminent trial. He faced charges for saying “Everything for Germany” at a political rally — breaking German laws against uttering Nazi slogans.

Despite that approaching court date, he looked down at the crowd, and gestured to them with an impish grin. “Everything for?” he asked.

“Germany!” they shouted.

After a decade of testing the boundaries of political speech in Germany, Mr. Höcke, a leader of the Alternative for Germany party, or AfD, no longer needed to push the limits himself. The crowd did it for him.

That moment crystallizes why, to his critics, Mr. Höcke is not simply a challenge to the political order, but a threat to German democracy itself.

spacer.png

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Ha! "It will be different this time," they said.

PARIS — French nationalist Marine Le Pen has executed one of the most extraordinary political rebrandings in the Western world. She has transformed the fringe neofascist party founded by her father into a mainstream political force with a shot at winning a majority and naming the next prime minister.

But as she and her deputy, Jordan Bardella, stand on the brink of what could be their greatest electoral triumph, innuendo, conspiracies and vitriol from National Rally candidates and supporters are amplifying doubts about how much a movement originally rooted in antisemitism and racism has truly evolved.

One candidate competing in the first round of the legislative assembly elections on Sunday suggested that a rival party was financed by Jews. Another claimed that some civilizations remain “below bestiality in the chain of evolution.” Yet another blamed a bedbug infestation in France on “the massive arrival from all the countries of Africa.” One more regularly pays tribute to the man who led the Nazi collaborators in World War II-era Vichy France.

Why are The National Rally on the verge of success in France? Is it because all of a sudden the French people have supposedly become racist, or is there more to it .

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â