Sil Swinkels

alreadyexists

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Is this his debut? Best of luck and hope he does well

No mate.

He played versus Liverpool in that FA Cup game we were forced to play when the squad, reserve squad & half the u18s were quarantined with COVID.

We lost 4-1 with Barry scoring & everybody getting rave reviews.

Funnily enough, they didn't force Liverpool to play their cup game when they faced the same issue a year or so later..

• Thanks 2

As for his performance last night, I had him down as the best of a bad bunch & MOTM.

He was mostly composed on the ball, strong, covered the ground pretty well & showed a nice turn of pace early in the first half.

But the whole backline couldn't deal with the long balls pumped over the top & they nearly scored from those chances.

Their actual goal was a bit of a comedy of errors from both CBs, but I thought their player was offside. They didn't show a replay of it though.

It's early doors but I think he shows real promise. Has a presence about him and although his passing needs tidying he looks pretty composed and assured of himself. Good debut imo.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

It's early doors but I think he shows real promise. Has a presence about him and although his passing needs tidying he looks pretty composed and assured of himself. Good debut imo.

It wasn't his debut. He made that in 2021 in the FA Cup game where we were forced to play the backup U18s when the squad caught COVID against Liverpool.

We lost 4-1, with Barry scoring.

And when Liverpool caught COVID before a cup game?

They postponed the game.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Andy_10 said:

It wasn't his debut. He made that in 2021 in the FA Cup game where we were forced to play the backup U18s when the squad caught COVID against Liverpool.

We lost 4-1, with Barry scoring.

And when Liverpool caught COVID before a cup game?

They postponed the game.

So his first senior team game in 3+ years. 

3 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

So his first senior team game in 3+ years. 

Other than EFL trophy games, but they don't really count.

I agree with your assessment of him though. 👍

38 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Was my thought as well after seeing some of his play.

In pre season inwas impressed with Bogardes composure, however he has looked pretty shaky in completive " mens " football at times.

Swinkels to me looks more likely to make it to a higher level.

Probably not right to judge so early though.

3 hours ago, SimonVilla said:

He’s been watching Pau

I thought the same. At one point I thought we'd subbed him off and brought Pau on such was their similarity. Early in his career, and against average opposition, but looks to have a bright future.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Andy_10 said:

No mate.

He played versus Liverpool in that FA Cup game we were forced to play when the squad, reserve squad & half the u18s were quarantined with COVID.

We lost 4-1 with Barry scoring & everybody getting rave reviews.

Funnily enough, they didn't force Liverpool to play their cup game when they faced the same issue a year or so later..

I seem to recall that we did have a bit of a choice at the time and opted to play the u18s due to the high levels of fixture congestion we were already facing. Could be wrong through. Either way, what a game and an experience for those boys, Barrys goal and celebration are on of my favourites.

On Swinkels this was a great experience for him and im sure its helped him into last night where the reviews are good.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I seem to recall that we did have a bit of a choice at the time and opted to play the u18s due to the high levels of fixture congestion we were already facing. Could be wrong through. Either way, what a game and an experience for those boys, Barrys goal and celebration are on of my favourites.

On Swinkels this was a great experience for him and im sure its helped him into last night where the reviews are good.

I don't remember that, but thats not to say that it didn't happen. I just don't recall it being that way personally.

But yeah, a great experience for them all. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy_10 said:

As for his performance last night, I had him down as the best of a bad bunch & MOTM.

He was mostly composed on the ball, strong, covered the ground pretty well & showed a nice turn of pace early in the first half.

But the whole backline couldn't deal with the long balls pumped over the top & they nearly scored from those chances.

Their actual goal was a bit of a comedy of errors from both CBs, but I thought their player was offside. They didn't show a replay of it though.

The bits I saw of him I thought he looked like Pau-lite. Looked really good on the ball. That one pass he put through to Duran was very easy on the eye.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Put Bogarde to shame. Unlucky he's not right footed as he's lightyears ahead.

Dropped Bogarde right in it twice in a row at the end of the game by shirking out of 2 headers and letting the long ball bounce. 

5 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Could be, although you might be mashing it up with the other cup game where Liverpool chose to play their youth as the first team were off on their jolly at the Club World Cup of Bestest Teams

5 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Yep it was our choice because we had much bigger issues to focus on that season than a potential fa cup run.

Remember when we used to have Ridgewell and Cahill as CBs…. In the premier league.

A gamble from Unai on the selection of the back 4 and GK but worked out well all in all, albeit the fans had to watch a load of crap for 90 minutes 

Edited by welshvillan

12 hours ago, welshvillan said:

Remember when we used to have Ridgewell and Cahill as CBs…. In the premier league.

You may have been mentally scarred by some of our past Premier League players but I raise you: 

Eric Black (Manager) 

M Bunn GK, J Lyden RB, K Toner CB, J Lescott CB, A Cissokho LB.

Some of our other defensive options that season were Richards, Clark and Crespo 

I remember the above defence away at Arsenal in 2016 and we lost 4-0. Could have been 10-0. I still have night sweats thinking about it.

Even Emery would have struggled to get anything out of them. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, welshvillan said:

A gamble from Unai on the selection of the back 4 and GK but worked out well all in all, albeit the fans had to watch a load of crap for 90 minutes 

Which, of course, fits with our 2024 motto of “f*%k the fans, let them swim in piss and eat shit the bottom dwelling scumbags” 

13 hours ago, Andy_10 said:

Agree with all this. Wasn't going to be an easy game and their front players did all they could to rattle both him and Bogarde, but Swinkels definitely came out better. There were some good touches, good positioning, but (as expected I guess) he was bullied for most of the game.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â