Most Overrated Player in History

Zatman

26 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i genuinely cant remember if he was a good player or if he just scored good goals that made highlight reels

also scored a lot of penalties so if you take them away he's maybe a 1 in 4 striker?

He wasn't a striker though, so even if you take his pens out, his scoring rate is very good. Basically a lazy Lampard/Gerrard :) 

He'd not make it in the top flight of the modern game with his application, and I'm not making out he's one of the best ever or anything, but he was bloody good.

Edited by Davkaus

26 minutes ago, Oaks said:

Gazza…there I said it. 

At least he turned up in the world cup 1990 plus euro 96 unlike the current group of superstars who are showing nothing.

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

At least he turned up in the world cup 1990 plus euro 96 unlike the current group of superstars who are showing nothing.

His performance in those tournaments are vastly overrated. You’ve proved my point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

He was a Saints fan who wanted to stay there. Funny isn't it, when its our club we'd love someone turning down the elite to stick with us, and it'd be disloyal for them to bugger off, but when it's someone else it's a lack of ambition :D 

"The Elite." Please!!

1 hour ago, Oaks said:

Gazza…there I said 

41 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He was an absolute pleasure to watch. The best, British, dribbler of a football since George Best. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

He was an absolute pleasure to watch. The best, British, dribbler of a football since George Best. 

I rest my case your honour. 

15 hours ago, Davkaus said:

He was a Saints fan who wanted to stay there. Funny isn't it, when its our club we'd love someone turning down the elite to stick with us, and it'd be disloyal for them to bugger off, but when it's someone else it's a lack of ambition :D 

He was actually a Spurs fan and nearly moved to them at one point, was apparently the only time he seriously considered leaving. He mostly stayed at Southampton because he wanted to go back home to Guernsey as regularly as possible

Edited by icouldtelltheworld

On 24/06/2024 at 10:18, MrBlack said:

I've always thought Rio Ferdinand was massively overrated. Yeah, he never had quite the same crazy hype as others being a defender, but for a defender he was considered the best of his era (which admittedly was an era without much competition).  I thought he was shit. 

Agree.

He does the thing some pundits do where he pretends he played the same game as current players.

Half his game was heading goal kicks away. He was nothing like the quality on the ball he's claimed to be due to be a 'ball playing defender' of the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Agree.

He does the thing some pundits do where he pretends he played the same game as current players.

Half his game was heading goal kicks away. He was nothing like the quality on the ball he's claimed to be due to be a 'ball playing defender' of the time.

He defintely tried to be a more ball playing defender than the average of his era, but he was terrible at it.

Even with the advantages he had playing for United,  he would regularly concede possession doing something stupid, but because he'd made a pass 10 yards to Paul Scholes 4 times a game instead of hoofing it long the mistakes were just ignored. Useless for England too, much like most of that era and not sure England manager's held as much blame as Southgate in those days. 

The champions league final against Chelsea he almost scored an own goal because he was trying to do something clever...and but for Van Der Saar's brilliance he would be remembered for that. 

• 2 weeks later...

TIL Le Tissier had a better goals-to-games ratio that Dwight Yorke, Jermaine Defoe, Dion Dublin and Robbie Keane.

Definitely not overrated.

• Like 3

Lot of shit on this page.

Gazza, Rio and Le Tiss were great players.

No player in the history of the game are on Messi/Ronaldo levels of consistency, and that doesn't mean other players aren't great.

Rio was good on the ball for a defender, in comparison to others during his era.  I remember going to United Vs Liverpool at OT and the box was full of players for a corner.  The cross came in, he controlled it on his chest and Cruyff turned out of the box, taking about 3/4 Liverpool players out of the game.  He was quick, calm, good in the air and relatively good at passing (compared to King, Mellberg, Vidic, Puyol at the time).

Gazza had great moments in games and could single handedly do magic things others definitely couldn't do.  He had demons OBVIOUSLY, but he played in an era where not every talent was sucked up by the (non existent at the time) top 4.  

Le Tiss is Southampton's God.  Having a player with those stats, the eye test and doing it in a team more or less consistently on the brink of relegation every year and calling him overrated is LOL.

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Totti was the correct answer but one for reference and close second: 

Paul Pogba. 

Was pogba ever really that rated?

He seems like maybe the first player who's transfer fee and wages in no way reflected his ability to kick a football, a pure marketing footballer, I also don't have a clue how or why he was so big on social media, him and utd were a match made in heaven and he made them a lot of money growing their brand even more, I doubt the glazers saw him as a bad deal 

Can also remember seeing some stat analysis of him where it was one of the papers saying he was a massive flop because he cost £7m per goal and thinking that's harsh cos that's just lazy, that's not what he is or ever will be 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â