Most Overrated Player in History

Zatman

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

is Kane overrated? 

Sure, he is a good striker, scored lots of goals, but a demigod that is often portrayed by the media? a 100m striker? Heck no.

I think he's overrated by Southgate as he will never drop him. His numbers are fantastic. Great finisher but I wouid rate Rooney better myself. 

9 hours ago, PaulC said:

Sorry I disagree. I think he was underrated as he played his whole career at an unfashionable club he never got the recognition by England his talent merited. Terrific player imo  but didn't track back or tackle. He scored over 20 league goals in a season 3 times and he wasn't even a striker. We've not had one player do that in 43 years

He stood out at Southampton, which seemed the extent of his ambition. I think, maybe, he lacked the self  - confidence to go to a bigger club. As for England, arguably one of the worse international debuts I've witnessed. That was with Hoddle at the helm. He had similar attributes to Hoddle, although not quite the elegance, and certainly not as good looking. 

Another Robin Friday, just minus the madness. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

5 hours ago, PaulC said:

I think he's overrated by Southgate as he will never drop him. His numbers are fantastic. Great finisher but I wouid rate Rooney better myself. 

As a striker, the goals, at the level he's scored them, speak for themselves. In that sense, he's not overrated. I do slightly question his mentality at international level. I remember him inexplicably taking corners against Iceland in Euros16 and also the penalty miss against France. He choked big - time in that one. I don't see him being able to inspire when things aren't going England's way. When England are struggling, he looks lost for answers. It begs the question, why is he skipper?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mic09 said:

is Kane overrated? 

Sure, he is a good striker, scored lots of goals, but a demigod that is often portrayed by the media? a 100m striker? Heck no.

I think he has now reached Ronaldo territory in that he will still guarantee goals but its not for the good of the team at this stage. Not just England but Bayern as well

Could argue Spurs became a better team when he left

Kane isn't overrated, but he's not a skipper and he I sometimes feel like he needs more tactical coaching, not technical, he's a fantastic footballer, but I feel like he does his own thing very much to the jeopardy of the team. He's a great finisher, he's a great passer of the ball, and that saves him from a lot of criticism, but sometimes I think he's over doing it, trying too hard, not thinking straight.

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

He stood out at Southampton, which seemed the extent of his ambition. I think, maybe, he lacked the self  - confidence to go to a bigger club. As for England, arguably one of the worse international debuts I've witnessed. That was with Hoddle at the helm. He had similar attributes to Hoddle, although not quite the elegance, and certainly not as good looking. 

Another Robin Friday, just minus the madness. 

Better shot than Hoddle though 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Virgil Van Dijk

They try and make out he's Bobby Moore, or Franz Beckenbauer. 

Yep, even the commentary team just after half time said “you can bet Van Dijk has had a go at the team at half time”. Can you? Doesn’t strike me as this inspirational leader 

14 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Mbappe watching this. No doubt he has the talent, but he plays when he wants and that's not how Messi or Ronaldo used to perform at their peak.

He's not overrated, he's top tier world class but off the back of arguably the 2 greatest players ever it's a drop back down to "normal"

18 minutes ago, Xela said:

Virgil Van Dijk

They try and make out he's Bobby Moore, or Franz Beckenbauer. 

Or nemanja vidic 

19 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Le Tissier was a fat lazy rocket polisher 

That may be true, but I don't think a player with zero profile outside of the UK is in contention for most overrated player of all time.

Watching Le Tissier highlights is like hearing The Life of Riley -  instantly takes me back to my childhood.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Yep, even the commentary team just after half time said “you can bet Van Dijk has had a go at the team at half time”. Can you? Doesn’t strike me as this inspirational leader 

Van der Vaart has called him a disgraceful captain and cant disagree. Always finger pointing when he is error prone

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I think Mbappe is overrated. 

If he didn't have that blistering pace he'd be playing for Baguette FC in the French 5th Division. 

Cant agree. Adama Traore has all the pace in the world and has about 10 career goals

Mbappe has 350 goals at 25 years old

• Like 4

On 21/06/2024 at 12:34, Genie said:

Over 1,000 total goals including 140 in the Champions League and 130 at international level. Anyone suggesting someone of that calibre is overrated needs warning points.

He's not the best player of all time, not even close. Yet he's often touted to be, hence overrated. Thank God there was another player playing at the exact same time as him that eclipsed him right till the end as if to drive the point home.

Just now, Keyblade said:

He's not the best player of all time, not even close. Yet he's often touted to be, hence overrated. Thank God there was another player playing at the exact same time as him that eclipsed him right till the end as if to drive the point home.

It’s often said that putting the ball in the net consistently is the hardest job in football, and it’s why they get paid the most money.

Someone who has done it to such incredible levels over so many years, in different countries, at the highest levels is absolutely part of the conversation. If he came out near but not quite at the top then he’s still one of the best, and talk of being over rated is silly.

On 24/06/2024 at 19:20, sheepyvillian said:

He stood out at Southampton, which seemed the extent of his ambition. I think, maybe, he lacked the self  - confidence to go to a bigger club.

He was a Saints fan who wanted to stay there. Funny isn't it, when its our club we'd love someone turning down the elite to stick with us, and it'd be disloyal for them to bugger off, but when it's someone else it's a lack of ambition :D 

• Like 4

i genuinely cant remember if he was a good player or if he just scored good goals that made highlight reels

also scored a lot of penalties so if you take them away he's maybe a 1 in 4 striker?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â