Most Overrated Player in History

Zatman

On 19/06/2024 at 18:05, TreeVillan said:

Mate

Big John Gayle, Wembley, early 90s. 200k locked out. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Has to be Ronaldo imo. No, he is not the GOAT and isn't fit to lace Messi's boots

I think that's universally acknowledged these days.  He did incredibly well to keep up with his goalscoring for so long though.

I'm not having Zidane though.  The guy was utterly incredible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bielesibub said:

Che Adams

1 hour ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Has to be Tonev on here before the start of the 2013/14 season when we got hold of his YouTube videos 

Dont think these lads are on the same level as others mentioned :P 

Some of them arent even known outside this forum

On 17/06/2024 at 23:12, sheepyvillian said:

Matt Adolf Le Tissier. 

Some years back we had Franny Benali at our Sunday League end of season do (I say "do", it was an all-you-can-eat Jamaican jerk buffet in the dimly lit function room of a rural Hampshire pub) as the club had raised some money for his run-around-the-country charity thing he was doing at the time.  He said Matt phoned him up and said he'd keep him company for a stretch, and his exact words back were "mate, you didn't **** run back when we were playing, how are you going to do that now?".  Good laugh, was Benali.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Has to be Ronaldo imo. No, he is not the GOAT and isn't fit to lace Messi's boots

He's probably one of the best 5 players of all time (maybe 10), he isn't overrated IMO. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's hard to call someone most overrated in history, but someone who stands out for having a really enhanced reputation for his performances as a whole was Ronaldinho. He was a good player but his reputation is really really enhanced off some of his true magical moments. 

Edit: reading back I probably open a can of worms, but just what I remember. Again good player but nowhere near a top 20-30 list. 

Edited by VillaAlex
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Xela said:

He's probably one of the best 5 players of all time (maybe 10), he isn't overrated IMO. 

Over 1,000 total goals including 140 in the Champions League and 130 at international level. Anyone suggesting someone of that calibre is overrated needs warning points.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

It's hard to call someone most overrated in history, but someone who stands out for having a really enhanced reputation for his performances as a whole was Ronaldinho. He was a good player but his reputation is really really enhanced off some of his true magical moments. 

Edit: reading back I probably open a can of worms, but just what I remember. Again good player but nowhere near a top 20-30 list. 

I think he only managed it for about a year, but at his best he was the best player I've ever seen, even a shade above Messi and Ronaldo. He just couldn't maintain it for more than about 18 months 

18 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

Ronaldinho is a strange one because personally he's probably my favourite player but that's from a pure entertainment wow moment perspective, that guy put a smile on my face more than any other footballer I've ever seen, even more than Messi, he just had a style of football that I could watch all day, he's everything football should be

But that doesn't make him the best ever...Ronaldo by comparison again personally just leaves me cold, I don't enjoy watching him, it's quite the opposite but I'm not going to say ronaldinho is better than him because he's not 

• Like 2

On 17/06/2024 at 23:12, sheepyvillian said:

Matt Adolf Le Tissier. 

Sorry I disagree. I think he was underrated as he played his whole career at an unfashionable club he never got the recognition by England his talent merited. Terrific player imo  but didn't track back or tackle. He scored over 20 league goals in a season 3 times and he wasn't even a striker. We've not had one player do that in 43 years

I've always thought Rio Ferdinand was massively overrated. Yeah, he never had quite the same crazy hype as others being a defender, but for a defender he was considered the best of his era (which admittedly was an era without much competition).  I thought he was shit. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 4

is Kane overrated? 

Sure, he is a good striker, scored lots of goals, but a demigod that is often portrayed by the media? a 100m striker? Heck no.

15 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

is Kane overrated? 

Sure, he is a good striker, scored lots of goals, but a demigod that is often portrayed by the media? a 100m striker? Heck no.

best out and out number 9 in world football in the last decade?

he's a dying breed, its him suarez or lewandowski and soon to be haaland if not already but you look at the stick haaland got this year for how uninvolved he is

unfortunately he also seems plagued by the same roy of the rovers bullshit as wayne rooney

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

best out and out number 9 in world football in the last decade?

he's a dying breed, its him suarez or lewandowski and soon to be haaland if not already but you look at the stick haaland got this year for how uninvolved he is

unfortunately he also seems plagued by the same roy of the rovers bullshit as wayne rooney

Absolutely, he is a specific breed - but if I was to create an 'in their prime' team both Suarez and Lewandowski get ahead of Kane.

Great striker, but not as great as some would like him to be. Maybe the lack of titles doesn't help the cause. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â