Most Overrated Player in History

Zatman

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Cantona was overated, like Zola. They were good players who came to English football at a time when it was , to be kind, complete and absolute and utter dog****. So yeah, they stood out like men against boys.

They weren't absolute great players but they were the some of the first at that time to do mad things like skills and volleys and lobs instead of trying to snap someone in half, fracture somebodies eyesocket and clearing in the woods the ball in the net from 30 yards

At the time they hadnt won a league title in 26 years or whatever it was, he came and propelled them to that but there's been better Man U players before like Edwards, Best, Law. Charlton and there's been better Man u players after. 

I know he was more than just his goals but so was Suarez and he scored a.stack more for clubs and Country. Different class of player entirely.

Edited by PaulC

42 minutes ago, PaulC said:

At the time they hadnt won a league title in 26 years or whatever it was, he came and propelled them to that but there's been better Man U players before like Edwards, Best, Law. Charlton and there's been better Man u players after. 

I know he was more than just his goals but so was Suarez and he scored a.stack more for clubs and Country. Different class of player entirely.

that's part of the problem with "best player ever" lists voted for by fans

no one under the age of 60 saw bobby charlton play for utd, realistically anyone under the age of 30 never saw cantona either 

and that's before you factor in TV coverage, the reality is our fan voted best player ever Paul McGrath I'm 40 years old and probably saw him play for villa less than 10 times

same as everything else in life, if its voted for by the general public you should be skeptical of it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

that's part of the problem with "best player ever" lists voted for by fans

no one under the age of 60 saw bobby charlton play for utd, realistically anyone under the age of 30 never saw cantona either 

and that's before you factor in TV coverage, the reality is our fan voted best player ever Paul McGrath I'm 40 years old and probably saw him play for villa less than 10 times

same as everything else in life, if its voted for by the general public you should be skeptical of it

Yes i will always vote for game changers over defenders myself. For instance under Graham.Taylor who was our most important player Platt or Mcgrath during that time. For me it was Platt but Obviously Mcgrath was a great player under Atkinson too and is a villa legend. 

11 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Cantona was overated, like Zola. They were good players who came to English football at a time when it was , to be kind, complete and absolute and utter dog****. So yeah, they stood out like men against boys.

They weren't absolute great players but they were the some of the first at that time to do mad things like skills and volleys and lobs instead of trying to snap someone in half, fracture somebodies eyesocket and clearing in the woods the ball in the net from 30 yards

The good old days, I miss it.

As a kid I never got the hype over England golden boy Bryan Robson.  Always injured that seemed to make England play better when he was out.

• Like 1

On 18/06/2024 at 08:24, PaulC said:

Suarez was better than Cantona. I think most people would agree on that. 

I **** loved Cantona but Suarez was absolutely miles better than him.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Zidane and Pele

pele i get, said before its unfair but anyone who votes for pele in a best player ever vote almost certainly didn't ever see him play in the flesh, they're watching old film and a huge portion of his career wont even be on film, no one can even say for sure how many goals he's scored due to the record keeping and lack of info

zidane though? that's interesting

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

pele i get, said before its unfair but anyone who votes for pele in a best player ever vote almost certainly didn't ever see him play in the flesh, they're watching old film and a huge portion of his career wont even be on film, no one can even say for sure how many goals he's scored due to the record keeping and lack of info

zidane though? that's interesting

I haven't got the time to elaborate any further other than to say all he ever tried to do were roulettes and somehow trick people into believing he was skillfull.

Edited by TreeVillan

I have said Zidane on here before and had my head eaten 😂

I still agree that a great player but not in a top 10 ever. I dont think he was that impactful in the lesser games in that Juventus/Real Madrid team as Del Piero, Figo or Raul but he turned up in big games/moments and why he is mainly remembered. In US Sports a clutch player

He dominated 2 tournaments in 2000 and 2006 but only won 3 titles playing for 2 of the best teams of the era

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TreeVillan said:

Zidane and Pele

Not having Pele. No other player would attract at least 80000 people to villa park for a friendly. Unless you saw him you can't judge how good he was. 

19 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Not having Pele. No other player would attract at least 80000 people to villa park for a friendly. Unless you saw him you can't judge how good he was. 

which is my argument for why i can understand the notion of him being overrated, no **** saw him!

to be fair if we did a poll here of greatest players ever I'm not sure where pele would come (kw) wouldn't be surprised if he wasnt top 10, but i would say anyone who says he's the best ever can only have a tiny sample of games they did see him in, i think he's more down to legacy and old footage, Pele is judged on 1 appearance at VP and a handful of world cup games on tv

i'll throw in another one as an example as to what i mean, duncan edwards, we're all told he's a brilliant footballer, one of the best england and utd players ever....he died 65 years ago, who's voting for him in these polls? i wonder how many games he actually played on TV, who here actually ever saw him play?

players like that, they're not overrated or underrated they're more just impossible to rate in either direction

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

which is my argument for why i can understand the notion of him being overrated, no **** saw him!

to be fair if we did a poll here of greatest players ever I'm not sure where pele would come (kw) wouldn't be surprised if he wasnt top 10, but i would say anyone who says he's the best ever can only have a tiny sample of games they did see him in, i think he's more down to legacy and old footage, Pele is judged on 1 appearance at VP and a handful of world cup games on tv

i'll throw in another one as an example as to what i mean, duncan edwards, we're all told he's a brilliant footballer, one of the best england and utd players ever....he died 65 years ago, who's voting for him in these polls? i wonder how many games he actually played on TV, who here actually ever saw him play?

players like that, they're not overrated or underrated they're more just impossible to rate in either direction

Yes can't be overrated or underrated when you haven't seen them. Ignore the reported amount of goals. In 58 at the age of 17 he scored what was it 6 goals in the world cup all in the later stages. Injured in 62, kicked off the park in 66, wouldn't happen in todays football. In 70 again stood out in a great Brazil team. 

Duncan Edwards never got the chance died too  young. Maybe because he was so grest so young he's been put on a pedestal. Bobby Charlton reckoned he was greatest but the only game I watched in full on YouTube was the FA cup final 1957 and he didn't do a lot in thst game. 

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes can't be overrated or underrated when you haven't seen them. Ignore the reported amount of goals. In 58 at the age of 17 he scored what was it 6 goals in the world cup all in the later stages. Injured in 62, kicked off the park in 66, wouldn't happen in todays football. In 70 again stood out in a great Brazil team. 

Duncan Edwards never got the chance died too  young. Maybe because he was so grest so young he's been put on a pedestal. Bobby Charlton reckoned he was greatest but the only game I watched in full on YouTube was the FA cup final 1957 and he didn't do a lot in thst game. 

unfortunately i do think you kind of have to, unless you were watching the sao paulo state championship back then

not saying he's overrated, more that i think he's from a land before time and therefore just gets removed from the conversation instead

same as when we talk about who the best striker was no one is throwing out pongo waring and dixie dean in to the conversation

pele really is that old in my mind

Celebrity footballer David Beckham or Ryan Giggs are the two that standout to me as players that are vastly over rated by the media. 

Edited by villa89

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Well it would be a bit difficult with our capacity being 42000 and all.

1 hour ago, TreeVillan said:

Not in those days mate.  But more like 60k

3 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

54000 was In the ground but loads locked out just to see one man 

Edited by PaulC

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â