Most Overrated Player in History

Zatman

3 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

No there's an equivocation fallacy.

But anyway, the thread is a paradox and I pointed out why. 

The second someone calls a player overrated it means that they don't rate them. Ergo, the player is NOT overrated.

Eh? You’re mistaking “universally rated” with “overrated”. The former requires everyone to rate said player, but the latter doesn’t. Just because someone says they don’t rate a player doesn’t mean that they can’t be considered overrated in general.

Why not give it a go mate? Tell us a player you think others rate more than is warranted. It’s not that hard. You don’t have to get tied up in logical paradoxes.

To make it easier, you can even tell us a player one of your football celeb pals told you they thought was overrated 

• Thanks 2

THE ONLY GOOD THINK EDWARD CANTONA DID WAS KICK A PALACE FANS HEAD OFF.  

FAX.

HE WAS SHITE, AND A ROOSTER, WITH HIS SILLY COLLAR BEING THE WATTLE OF A ROOSTER 🐓 

THE END

FIN.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I never said Cantona wasn't very good, he quite clearly was

I said that he shouldn't be in a conversation for best PL ever 

And then added that he does well to get in the PL conversation seeing as no one ever will drag him in to a conversation about best in Europe or the world because he did so little outside of the PL 

You said he wouldn't be in the top 50 in the PL. I responded to that.

He clearly, CLEARLY was 

15 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

But people are rating players from different eras! The only way you can rate a player is on the basis of what he did against his contemporaries. You can't say Puskas was overrated because Ronaldo was better. Bobby Moore rating Pele is irrelevant because he didn't play against Zlatan.

Makes no sense.

Respectfully, I disagree. You can definitely compare players from different eras (with the exception of pre-television).

To simplify it, I can, hand on heart, say that Boubacar Kamara is a better midfielder than Nigel Reo-Coker. Just like I can say that Nathan Delfouneso isn’t as good as Ollie Watkins.

What becomes more tricky is how the rest of the world rates these players, and whether that is unnecessarily heightened. That’s why it’s a talking point 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

One person on a forum saying they don’t rate a player, doesn’t outweigh thousands of people that do rate (perhaps too highly, in said hypothetical persons opinion) the player.

9 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Respectfully, I disagree. You can definitely compare players from different eras (with the exception of pre-television).

To simplify it, I can, hand on heart, say that Boubacar Kamara is a better midfielder than Nigel Reo-Coker. Just like I can say that Nathan Delfouneso isn’t as good as Ollie Watkins.

What becomes more tricky is how the rest of the world rates these players, and whether that is unnecessarily heightened. That’s why it’s a talking point 🤷🏻‍♂️

My nan was better than Delfouneso so that's not a difficult one.

There is a reason Cantona was voted best United player of all time by their own supporters. It doesn't make him automatically overrated, it just reflects how f***** incredible he was.

Anyway. Time to bow out of this debate.

Edited by GlobalVillan

11 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

THE ONLY GOOD THINK EDWARD CANTONA DID WAS KICK A PALACE FANS HEAD OFF.  

FAX.

HE WAS SHITE, AND A ROOSTER, WITH HIS SILLY COLLAR BEING THE WATTLE OF A ROOSTER 🐓 

THE END

FIN.

Who the f*** is Edward Cantona?

Anyway you are all right. So many people on here claiming he overrated and yet I am the only one highly rating him.

You are right, all the superstars of the day that say he was the greatest they ever saw are all wrong. As am I.

We move on.

1 hour ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

I wouldn't have Dembele in my team

This is a good shout, maybe not for all-time, but definitely of the current crop of players. Dortmund > Barca > PSG,  over £150m in transfer fees, yet he is arguably no better than he was 7/8 years  ago, and as soon as his pace goes he’ll be bang average at best. Hyped by the FIFA generation for no visible reason at all. 

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

Drogba and Suarez? Better than Cantona? Gee whizz. We are way off on our views on this one.

Let's leave this one here.

:lol: Suarez is probably about Cantona's Utd level now while he's playing in MLS.

Why is Cantona better again?

Because he wore his collar up?

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

:lol: Suarez is probably about Cantona's Utd level now while he's playing in MLS.

Why is Cantona better again?

Because he wore his collar up?

Lol. You think a mid 30s Suarez is better than prime Cantona?

My word.

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

Lol. You think a mid 30s Suarez is better than prime Cantona?

My word.

Yeah man, you're struggling.

You rate players off performances, not moments and collars.

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

suarez never booted a flaming ball through the devil though did he 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Yes. Cantona did not perform well at all. I am rating him for his collar. Absolutely. 100%. You've nailed it and you got me.

Bravo.

3 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Yes. Cantona did not perform well at all. I am rating him for his collar. Absolutely. 100%. You've nailed it and you got me.

Bravo.

I thought you were going somewhere?

12 hours ago, Rob182 said:

One person on a forum saying they don’t rate a player, doesn’t outweigh thousands of people that do rate (perhaps too highly, in said hypothetical persons opinion) the player.

It does when I say it because my word is final and gospel.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I once stood behind Anton Ferdinand in a Tesco express in Sunderland.

I didn't speak to him, but I could see in his eyes that he thought CANTONA was overrated.

The same thing happened in the Tesco express in Birmingham, near the Cube and Everyman Cinema with Darren Moore and his body language just screamed out "CANTONA WAS SHITE!!"

It was genuinely, one of the most humbling experiences of my life.

I believed every word of this until you described it as humbling ;) 

• Haha 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â