• No - I'm Scottish
    • No - I'm Welsh
    • No - I'm Norn Iron
    • No - I'm Irish

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, legov said:

🤨

****ing pommies

Australia's population is, what, 20m? And, perhaps I'm wrong, has tended to have limited diversity in its immigration movement (being mostly British, Chinese, Italian, South African iirc, and for many many years pretty much being British alone). Whereas America's population is 350m and infamously diverse and has been for literally centuries. 

That's what I mean by a lesser level of immigration. Far fewer people from far more limited backgrounds.

18 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Australia's population is, what, 20m? And, perhaps I'm wrong, has tended to have limited diversity in its immigration movement (being mostly British, Chinese, Italian, South African iirc, and for many many years pretty much being British alone). Whereas America's population is 350m and infamously diverse and has been for literally centuries. 

That's what I mean by a lesser level of immigration. Far fewer people from far more limited backgrounds.

Historically yes. A lot of migrant groups who historically migrated to America didn't start migrating to Australia in large numbers until fairly recently.

So short answer to your question: in the past, yes. Thanks to a very conscious policy of adopting migrants only from the British Isles, and then later Europe. In the last few decades this has changed dramatically.

Edit: Pommie bit was tongueincheek :P

Edited by legov

17 minutes ago, Chindie said:

That's a lot of words to say I'm correct.

At the risk of belaboring the point, not really. Australia is just as diverse as America is in terms of its migrant makeup, it's just that the change in migration policy is more recent than it was in America.

Edited by legov

On 03/04/2020 at 16:51, Xela said:

If i'm asked what nationality i am, then i'm British. If i'm asked where I am from, then its England. 

I do like the sound of being quintessentially English though. Thatched cottages in a small Cotswold or Chiltern village. Cricket on the village green, lazy afternoons in the pub garden, cream tea and everything being jolly spiffing! Sign me up for that!

You live in Four Oaks so you're not far off that last bit as it is mate!

😉

P.S. I used to live in Four Oaks...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wedge said:

You live in Four Oaks so you're not far off that last bit as it is mate!

😉

P.S. I used to live in Four Oaks...

I've been here 12 years now and it has definitely gone down hill... and not all down to me either! It is still a haven compared to most grubby crime infested suburbs of Brum though!

• 4 years later...
6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Well, if he's English he should never have played for Ireland. 

I'm probably in a minority here, but I've always been opposed to this 'nationality inherited from parents/grandparents' business. As far as I'm concerned, your birthplace defines your nationality. Yes, there need to be sensible exceptions, such as being born when your parents are on holiday, but otherwise, keep it simple. 

Brought this over to this thread (after a bit of searching). It can relate to decisions regarding international representation in sports, but I’m really thinking in general.

As it happens my daughter has taken to saying she’s more Irish than English. With the fixture today, she has been more vocal on the subject.

Her reasoning being that her mother is Irish, coming from an Irish family. While her dad is English, but he had a grandfather who was Bulgarian.

So although she hasn’t put it exactly in these terms, her way of thinking would be something like 50% Irish, 48% English and 2% Bulgarian (or whatever). 

I have countered that she was born in England and has never been to Ireland which must have some sway.

Another feather in my cap is that she appears to have forgotten that she holds an Irish passport and is yet to own a British one. I don’t wish to strengthen her argument by reminding her of this.

Ultimately, I don’t particularly care, why would I? Define yourself how you want. However, as per Mike’s post above, I think your birthplace, where you grew up, holds at least as much weight as your parents nationality. I don’t discount parental nationality in the equation, but I believe if I was born in England, to Scottish parents and lived in England for the majority of my life, I would consider myself sufficiently English.

• Thanks 1

This has moved on a bit for me as I'm now in an office working for an Irish company alongside several Scottish people who definitely identify as Scottish not British, a Welsh guy from Cardiff who is Welsh not British and then a young cockney kid who is very much British, loves farage*, has the queen as his screensaver, we won the war and conquered the world and franky is utterly bizarre with it at times (as you can imagine the Irish love him) and then a Scouse guy who along with me would declare himself as English not British 

Maybe interesting is that the 4 (I think) northern Irish I work with all associate themselves with being Irish and the south, not British, I know at least 3 of them have Irish passports 

The cockney kid is right at times where the Irish I work with are incredibly proud but at the same time a few of them take almost daily sly digs at the British and suggest us being proud in the same way is shameful, it's a strange dynamic at times, will be good Monday morning talking football 

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

then a Scouse guy who along with me would declare himself as English not British 

Scouse not English is the current refrain in these parts.

Just now, bickster said:

Scouse not English is the current refrain in these parts.

We had a Scouse guy who left last month, he used to half joke about it, he wouldn't watch England at the euros etc

The one who is left is the other way round though he doesn't do the whole Scouse not English stuff, he says he's English

But without knowing the exact geography of Liverpool the guy who left was right in the centre whereas the other guy is the outskirts edging towards the Wirral (so not a real Scouser)

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

We had a Scouse guy who left last month, he used to half joke about it, he wouldn't watch England at the euros etc

The one who is left is the other way round though he doesn't do the whole Scouse not English stuff, he says he's English

But without knowing the exact geography of Liverpool the guy who left was right in the centre whereas the other guy is the outskirts edging towards the Wirral (so not a real Scouser)

You can’t edge towards the Wirral :D 

• Haha 1

Born and bred in Scotland, lived in Australia for a few years also. There is some Irish ancestry on one side of the family but I haven’t really looked into it. I have to be honest, I don’t pay much attention to either of my nationalities, I know I’m Scottish and British by extension but neither really mean anything to me. I’m not against either label but it’s just not an issue for me. When I was in Australia I was called a Pommy/English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh **** a few times but the people dishing it out were a bit stumped when I just laughed at them.

Practically all my friends are very much SNP supporters - one of them has two English parents and another has one but they identify very much as Scottish - and they don’t understand my way of thinking. I’ve worn a kilt twice in my life, both times it wasn’t my choice, the occasion called for it…☹️

Edited by AJG23

47 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'm more than happy for Liverpool, Everton and Tranmere to **** off and set up their own league. Take Wrexham too. 

My Dad is Welsh, my mum is English but I was born in and I've spent my whole life in England. I'll back Wales against anyone else except England. 

Looking beyond your immediate parents is well dodgy though. I've got some French in there somewhere 

neil-patrick-harris-shudder.gif

Over in America, it has seemed to change since I was a little kid in the 1960s and 1970s. English people who came to America for tourism or work never called themselves British up through the early 1970s or so, not that I ever encountered. They would certainly say "I'm from England" and that they were English. I actually think when the UK and Ireland joined the EC, English people abroad here began more often to call themselves British for some reason.

On the other hand, I recall a disturbing moment in the 1970s when I found this crazy pair of dad's briefs. I was rooting around his his sock drawer. The briefs had a union jack on their front and the words, "It's British." Never really got over that. 😂 Never mentioned it to my dad, of course. Class.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

On 05/04/2020 at 21:11, Chindie said:

As bizarre as I find the weird Americanism of being 'Scots Irish' (... shudder) or whatever, the argument is usually that as a 'young' nation, whose history is one of being a nation of nations, they've not yet lost the connection to the parent countries, there's living connections to 'the old country' in many cases (even if they're just memories of a grand parent, for instance). 

Australia doesn't seem to have that much of that. I'd guess that comes in part from a far lesser level of immigration over all (and probably less diverse on the whole), and also because Australia itself is so unique it pretty much develops it's own identity without trying.

Reading an old thread and this jumped out at me. 

Australia actually has a much higher level of immigration than the US in relative terms. 30% of Australia’s population are foreign born compared with about 13% of the US.  

Australia is also heavily influenced by Asian immigration (which makes sense given its geography). About 18% of the population is of Asian descent (which compares with about 7% in the US and 9% in the U.K.). Australia is very much a diverse multicultural country these days.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â